Windows 10: sharing folders on home network

Discus and support sharing folders on home network in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jaunty6, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Jaunty6 Win User

sharing folders on home network

After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please?

:)

Jaunty6, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile sharing folders on home network :)

Frogger, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. sharing folders on home network - Similar Threads - sharing folders home

2. File and folder Sharing on Ethernet Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File and folder Sharing on Ethernet Home Network: I am able to share files and folders.When I go to another computer and try to map a drive to the share that I created on the first computer I can't get past the Network Credentials prompt.I have setup the network credentials on all computers to be my username and the same...
  3. Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing / Folder Sharing / Network Locations: Hello ! I hope you are all well and I also hope that I can find some ideas around here: Things are as it follows: I have Desktop PC connected to a router via cable and several other laptops around the house, connected via Wifi, to the same network / same router,...
  4. Network Shared Folder

Network Shared Folder: I set permissions for a user to a network shared folder, and then mapped the network folder on her laptop. At first everything seems fine, but then one of the subfolders disappear, and later reappears. This has been going on intermittently since. Any ideas why this is...
  5. Home network - computers unable to connect for folder sharing

Home network - computers unable to connect for folder sharing: Hi I have Windows10 Home (ver 1909) installed on 2 compters on my home network. Computer 1 - connected to main router (via ethernet). Computer 2 - connected to Access Point (via ethernet). The AP is connected to the main router (ethernet) and the IP addresses of each...
  6. File and Folder sharing on a win10 home network

File and Folder sharing on a win10 home network: I have three Win10 PCs, two connected by ethernet and a laptop on WiFi. all are running current versions of Win10 with updates. One of the desktops has a second HD. This drive is shared with Everyone Full Access. While it appears as a drive on the computer in the network on...
  7. Sharing folders on home network now that Home Group removed

Sharing folders on home network now that Home Group removed: Hi, I was sharing folders on my home WiFi network between 3 Windows 10 computers. This has stopped working and I assume it is because Microsoft helpfully killed the HomeNetwork option. So how can I start sharing folders again? Specifically I have a desktop and want to...
  8. Sharing Folders Across My Home Network Devices

Sharing Folders Across My Home Network Devices: I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop all using Windows 10. The laptops will share files, but the desktop won’t. I am no computer expert, but I know enough to figure out how to configure the sharing of folders. I’ll admit that I don’t know how to configure a lot of the security...
  9. Cannot share folders over home network

Cannot share folders over home network: I used to have a HomeGroup, I understand that this is now gone. I can now only see media files over the network. I have changed all the folder secure sharing settings to allow viewing folders over the home network. I still don't see them. Just the media files. What's the...
  10. Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network: I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home workgroup network. I can share the folder with Everyone, but Windows fails to find the specific user on our home network. We have 3 Win 10 PCs on our home network: MaryPC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. home network file sharing wiring