Windows 10: Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

Discus and support Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a desktop far away from my router, no wifi adapter. My laptop has wifi connection. Windows used to have an option to share internet from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ricedaddy97, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

I have a desktop far away from my router, no wifi adapter. My laptop has wifi connection.

Windows used to have an option to share internet from a laptop's wifi to desktop via ethernet. You go to network and sharing center, click your connection, and a window "Wi-Fi Status" opens. On the bottom left of that window, you click properties, go to sharing tab, click settings.

I used to only have to click share ethernet and boom connected. Not anymore, now I am presented with 1700, 1702, etc, DNS, DHCP, etc.

Why did they change it? As far as I am aware you cannot straightforward set share wifi connection via ethernet anymore. Not even to mention all the hoops you had to jump through in the first place.

So am I really out of options since they changed this? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

By the way, I am not going to be purchasing anything, or changing my routers setup. I am in a different room across the house. I shouldn't need to mess with any bridging or DNS, DHCP home netowrk etc setups, because I didn't have to in the past.

submitted by /u/ricedaddy97
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ricedaddy97, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Pinchy Win User

share internet connection in pc desktop &laptop

Operating systems on each computer?

If the desktop has two ethernet connections, you can set it up so that one has the modem (internet) and the other is connected to the laptop (cable from desktop to laptop).

If you want wireless, you will need a router unless you have a wireless connection and ethernet connection on the desktop, in which case you can do the same above, only instead of cable from pc to laptop, its wireless connection from pc to laptop.

Pinchy, Oct 30, 2020
  3. SUB
    SuB Win User
    Is it possible to share internet connection via remote desktop?

RDP is not capable of Internet sharing, so you can't share Internet using RDP with standard applications. There are many way to share Internet from a Windows box to another one. I suggest you to use VPN. You should do following steps:

1. Run VPN Server on your server with unlimited internet access
    2. Connect to VPN server from your limited computer

4. Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

share laptop's / desktop's Internet on Nokia lumia 520

Its Not possible to share desktop and laptop internet on your lumia.

You can do one thing that if your laptop having internet connection you can use third party apps to make your laptop hotspot and then connect your mobile to that hotspot.

On other way Take connection on mobile and.. make your mobile as portable hotspot if your operator allows. Then use that internet on your laptop and desktop.

There is no way to user it using data cable or Ethernet

Krishna Parab, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

1. Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet - Similar Threads - Sharing internet desktop

2. Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC: I'd like to share my laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to my PC.However, it appears that once I plug in the cable to the laptop, instead of sharing, it makes it so even the laptop will not have WiFi. It will not let me get WiFi back on the laptop, unless unplug the cable, and...
  3. Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC: I'd like to share my laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to my PC.However, it appears that once I plug in the cable to the laptop, instead of sharing, it makes it so even the laptop will not have WiFi. It will not let me get WiFi back on the laptop, unless unplug the cable, and...
  4. Share laptop WiFi via ethernet cable to PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No internet on laptop, after turning on the hotspot to share ethernet internet to other...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet on laptop, after turning on the hotspot to share ethernet internet to other...: I've recently updated to the latest Windows 10 version, and the hotspot stopped working as intended. When it's off, the internet is working just fine, everything loads, etc. but when I turn it on and connect a device to it, on the device the internet is working but on the...
  6. No internet via ethernet

No internet via ethernet: Hello I'm having some trouble with my connection over ethernet. Wireless works fine and the same ethernet cable works on my laptop. The problem is my ethernet on my PC. Firstly I used the windows troubleshooter and got the error "No valid IP". I checked my ip using ipconfig...
  7. Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network: I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. Before 1803, I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when Homegroup was removed I could no longer access the computers in either direction without the Enter Network Credentials...
  8. Internet sharing via ethernet Win10

Internet sharing via ethernet Win10: I have a need to be able to share a wifi internet connection via ethernet. I want to be able to connect wirelessly to a wifi captive portal with my computer, then connect a router to the computer and share the wifi internet source through the router. The reason is that the...
  9. Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet

Sharing Internet Connection FROM WiFi TO Ethernet: Hi, I am trying to share an internet connection from a Windows 10 Laptop to a device that cannot access a Username/Password secured WiFi Network. However I cannot seem to stop the Ethernet Connection from automatically turning the WiFi off. I have tried changing the...
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...