Windows 10: sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10

Discus and support sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 Wi-fi adapters.One is the default Wifi adapter which is on the laptop which is present on all laptops,and then I have another wifi adapter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by datatraveler2012, Nov 4, 2019.

1. sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10

I have 2 Wi-fi adapters.One is the default Wifi adapter which is on the laptop which is present on all laptops,and then I have another wifi adapter which is a USB wifi adapter.

I want to share my wifi internet connection to other mobile phones via this laptop. My onboard Wifi adapter does not have the ability to create a hosted network the output of

(run this command as admin if you are on a normal cmd (Windows+R) then type

powershell "Start-Process cmd -Verb RunAs" admin command prompt will open)

cmd>netsh wlan show drivers

for onboard wireless chipset is

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver : Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter
    Vendor : Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Provider : Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    Date : 03-05-2019
    Version : 2024.0.8.107
    INF file : oem54.inf
    Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported : 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported : No

Hosted network support: No is there that means this can not be used to create a virtual access point.

As mentioned on the link here

https://www.wikihow.com/Enable-a-Virtual-WiFi-in-Windows

Now I have a USB wifi card of DLink

and output of netsh wlan show drivers for USB Dlink wireless chipset is

Interface name: Wi-Fi 2

Driver : D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter(rev.E)
    Vendor : D-Link Corporation
    Provider : D-Link Corporation
    Date : 25-09-2015
    Version : 1030.2.731.2015
    INF file : oem40.inf
    Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported : 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : No
    802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : No
    Hosted network supported : Yes

So I can create a wifi hotspot on this USB Wifi device via the steps explained here

https://www.wikihow.com/Enable-a-Virtual-WiFi-in-Windows

check if your wifi card supports creating a wireless network

netsh wlan show drivers

if Hosted Network Support is yes then

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=mynetwork key=yourkey

start the hotspot netsh wlan start hostednetwork

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

Now the problem is I have 2 wifi adapters. So how do I run this command on USB wifi device

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=mynetwork key=mykey

the problem is I do not know or rather say in the command it is not mentioned which Wifi interface to select to create a hotspot.

By default if I run the command (as admin)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh wlan start hostednetwork

The hosted network couldn't be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

This is trying to start hostednetwork on on board Wifi Realtek where as I want the hostednetwork to be on USB wifi.

So how can I achieve this?

Ok I got the method now when I posted the question I was not clear I am letting this information stay as it is so that it may help someone else

the answer here

has helped

https://superuser.com/a/1167059/

netsh interface set interface name="Wi-Fi" admin=disabled

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Your_SSID key=Your_Passphrase

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

netsh interface set interface name="Wi-Fi" admin=enabled

so I was able to start a hosted network (wifi hotspot on USB wifi) but I could not share the internet connection.

I got following error

sharing internet via  USB wifi device in Windows 10 533d4f57-c870-4377-b284-47acd5999dd0?upload=true.jpg

To enable Internet Connection Sharing a connection must be selected for the private network.Please select a connection from the list of available connections.

Now how do I get rid of this error as mentioned in screenshot and share my internet connection on my wifi hotpsot that I created on USB Wifi adapter.

edit 3

Ok I was able to figure out in the screenshot itself I had the option to select a private connection

sharing internet via  USB wifi device in Windows 10 1b828667-a3d1-4ae2-9e1e-26edfb92254c?upload=true.jpg

Now when I Select Wi-Fi 2 from the drop down

then my internet connectivity is gone from the USB wifi device. The USB wifi device is disconnected from the network.

See the screenshot in this Wifi-2 is showing unidentified network. So how do I keep wifi2 connected to the wireless access point.

This is happening always when I switch on the virtual wifi connection then actual USB wifi connection disconnects.

So how can I get rid of this error.

:)

datatraveler2012, Nov 4, 2019

2. Unable to share internet connection"Internet Connection Sharing is currently enabled for connection 'tunnel_32769'

Hello Graham,

We regret the inconvenience and we also appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. Let me assist you.

Before we proceed further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the laptop you are using?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue? Is it an abrupt issue?

• Did you verify if the Internet connection Services is running?

• Are you normally connect to internet even when the network sharing fails?

• Do have any System Restore point set in Windows prior to the issue?

We also need which of the following cases of network sharing applies to your case:

1. One laptop using its Ethernet connection for Internet access and its WiFi adapter to broadcast.

2. One laptop that is connected to the Internet through a mobile USB modem and broadcasts the wireless network through its WiFi adapter.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to check if the following steps help to resolve the issue.

Step-1. Disable wi-fi adapter.

Step-2. Enable it again.

Step-3. Create wi-fi hot spot again.

Step-4. Now share network connection from where internet is connected to wi-fi hotspot adapter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Internet connection Sharing in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 4, 2019
  4. sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10

USB Wireless adapter not connecting to Wifi

Hello

I am having trouble making my new USB Wifi Adapter to work. The drivers are working fine but the issue is it is not connecting to wifi.

1. I am using Windows 10
    2. The adapter which I am trying to work is Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps
    3. I have also one USB mini wifi adapter attached to my other USB through which I am currently using internet

sharing internet via  USB wifi device in Windows 10 [​IMG]

From the above screenshot, the Wi-Fi 2 is which I am trying to connect. When I right-click on Wi-Fi 2 and click on Connect/Disconnect, It shows the already connected Wifi through USB mini adapter.

When I Disable WiFi and try to connect through WiFi 2 then it shows an error "Change settings, such as making a connection metered"

The device utility does not show any Wifi available connections though there are 2-3 wifi connection is there.

any idea how can I make connect to internet using my new Alfa AWUS036NHA 150Mbps Wireless USB Adaptor - Wi Fi 2 on Windows 10 ?

oneandthree, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10

1. sharing internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - sharing internet via

2. No internet access via Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet access via Wifi: Hello.In a couple laptops running under Windows 10 20H2 have the same network issue.One if the laptop have latest updates, one only till July 2021.The problem is, when laptops is connected to the Wifi network was tested a lot of networks I can ping IP address 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8...
  3. WiFi sharing without internet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi sharing without internet: Ok, so I'm having some weird issues that I believe I posted about in the past. Currently, my desktop will routinely connect to the internet while reporting "no internet" in the settings. This would not be an issue, however my phone, for whatever reason, gets an extremely weak...
  4. Windows 10 via USB mobile tethering - network not sharing

Windows 10 via USB mobile tethering - network not sharing: Hi, Apologies in case this ground's been covered already in recent threads, Anyway I've brought a couple of PCs home from work and owing to room arrangements I've had to connect one to the network via USB mobile tethering. Internet works nicely (I'm using it now). However,...
  5. share internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10

share internet via USB wifi device in Windows 10: I want to share internet via virtual adapter created on USB wifi2 but this disconnects Wi-Fi2 adapter in Windows 10 from the connected wifi network. I have 2 Wi-fi adapters.One is the default Wifi adapter which is on the laptop which is present on all laptops,and then I have...
  6. Internet sharing via ethernet Win10

Internet sharing via ethernet Win10: I have a need to be able to share a wifi internet connection via ethernet. I want to be able to connect wirelessly to a wifi captive portal with my computer, then connect a router to the computer and share the wifi internet source through the router. The reason is that the...
  7. Cannot access internet via Wifi

Cannot access internet via Wifi: Split from this thread. An automatic Microsoft update to Windows 10 disabled my WiFi switch so all WiFi on my lap top does not work. I could connect to the internet using a hard wire. Microsoft Tech Support (Windows) is in the process of trying to fix this but with no...
  8. DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI: cannot see 1T Seagate GoFlex Home wireless hard drive on file explorer. does not show up in Network. Memeo Backup finds the 3 drives (x Public, Y personal & z Backup) when I connect via the internet. I did manage to get them to register in Network once and then dragged...
  9. DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DEVICE CONNECTION VIA WIFI: cannot see 1T Seagate GoFlex Home wireless hard drive on file explorer. does not show up in Network. Memeo Backup finds the 3 drives (x Public, Y personal & z Backup) when I connect via the internet. I did manage to get them to register in Network once and then dragged...
  10. Sharing HDD via Wifi - Questions

Sharing HDD via Wifi - Questions: I would like to share my desktop HDD video files to my Laptop via Wifi in my house. Both my computers are windows 10 and I am the only user in my house. Also, am on 2.4Ghz band with "N" router but upgrading to ".ac" in few days. Apart from the below questions, will I get...