Windows 10: Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

Discus and support Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since the beginning of this year when MS removed the HomeGroup function, I've had a terrible time with file sharing on my home network. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by billyjk, Dec 20, 2018.

1. billyjk Win User

Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

Ever since the beginning of this year when MS removed the HomeGroup function, I've had a terrible time with file sharing on my home network. I am running one central Win10 desktop with two Win10 laptops in a home wifi environment that is stable and fast. All machines are always running the latest OS version.

In the past 6-9 months, I've tried a number of different tutorials that endeavor to help set up the new file sharing approach, but with the exception of some spotty success, it basically just doesn't work. I can't reliably see other machines on the network, and sharing is almost always impossible. Sometimes I can get a laptop to see/share from the central desktop machine, but then it just goes away. Printer sharing off of the central desktop is also unreliable.

Questions:
    - Should I "reset" all of my machines to some baseline prior to proceeding with any further settings/troubleshooting? If so, how can I accomplish that?

- Is there a truly effective procedure for setting up Win10 to see other machines and to share files? If so, please point me in that direction.

Thanks!
    - bk

:)

billyjk, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Geethu B Win User

Issue with accessing shared files on Homegroup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with accessing shared files from a laptop which is on HomeGroup.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what all troubleshooting steps did you try?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect Homegroup settings.
    • Conflict between antivirus software.
    Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

Let's first run HomeGroup troubleshooter and check.

a) Press “Windows Key + W”.

b) Type “Troubleshooting “in the search box and hit
    enter

c) Click on Network and Internet.

d) Click on HomeGroup and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to disable Antivirus software temporarily to check if there is any conflict.

Note:

1) Please make sure to re-enable Antivirus software after troubleshooting steps.

2) Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable or uninstall your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable or uninstall it to install other software, you should
    re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled or uninstalled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Unable to share information from HomeGroup on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with connecting to the HomeGroup network.

Do let us know the following information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to share any information on your computers?
    • Which troubleshooter have you deployed to resolve the issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Were you able to see the other computer under newly created HomeGroup?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn on network discovery on both the computers

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.

• Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to run
    HomeGroup troubleshooter if not yet tried and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Control Panel.

• In the Control Panel window, select
      Category and then select Large icons.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click View all and then click on
      HomeGroup.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 3: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10 computer that you performed reset on.

• Connect to the internet.

• Press Windows
      key and type updates.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.

• Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

HomeGroup sharing stability

Thanks for updating us on the result of recreating the homegroup network. SInce the issue is still occurring, we suggest that you follow the steps below to run the automated homegroup troubleshooter available in Windows 10:

• Press the Windows key + X to open the quick link menu and from the list of options select
      Control Panel.
    • Once Control Panel is open, select Network and Internet
      from the options provided.
    • Under Network and Internet select the option HomeGroup and then on the lower portion look for the option labeled " Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter".
    The automated troubleshooter will detect errors within the homegroup and attempt to automatically correct any error that can cause the homegroup network to not function as intended.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

1. Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup... - Similar Threads - Sharing Issues HomeGroup

2. Sharing a folder anyone on network can connect to w/o authorization

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a folder anyone on network can connect to w/o authorization: Hello, I'm trying to share a folder that has to be available to the entire network. No passwords, no authorization. When you navigate to the folder on the network it HAS to allow you access if you're on the local network. Often when I share folders windows decides a username...
  3. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  4. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  5. Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue

Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue: Dear All, I hope that someone can help me. I am setup as an administrator within Window 10. For some unknown reason I cannot share or set permissions for the default Documents folder Music folder or Printers and Drivers to be shared across a Homegroup. THE EXACT...
  6. Lost network/homegroup sharing

Lost network/homegroup sharing: I see the following error on both my HTPC and my desktop PC. Both running Win 10 pro 64 bit. I reinstalled the intel driver on bot machines but that did not work. I power cycled the cable modem and routher, that didn't work either. I tried the winsock series on CMDs...
  7. homegroup issue

homegroup issue: Hi. I set up a home group last night between my 2 PCs (desktop which i will call PC1 and laptop which I will call PC2) last night and a printer. Everything was working correctly after I shared everything on printers, C:..etc. This morning when I booted up all 3 devices I...
  8. Sharing using Homegroup

Sharing using Homegroup: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700). The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi. Selecting or deselecting Share with...
  9. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Homegroup Printer sharing woes: I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine. Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got...
  10. Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?

Possible to share a Library w/o homegroup?: Finally found a use for a library. Can create it locally, but there's no share context. Can not use homegroup. Is shared/public library even possible? 24918