Windows 10: Sharing printer and folder difficulties

Discus and support Sharing printer and folder difficulties in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Howdy. I have two Win10 PCs, one (desktop) running 1903 and the other 1909 (laptop). I have both set up identically in Advanced sharing settings, same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/statikuz, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Sharing printer and folder difficulties

Howdy. I have two Win10 PCs, one (desktop) running 1903 and the other 1909 (laptop).

I have both set up identically in Advanced sharing settings, same profile, etc. Both are set to "Turn off password protected sharing"

I shared a folder on the laptop, and I can access it fine from the desktop, but not vice versa (or a printer that's connected to the desktop).

My laptop just has a local account and my desktop user is my Microsoft account. If I add a credential to the Windows credentials on the laptop for the desktop's hostname it works fine; but I don't want to have to do this for every PC in the house; or if someone just needs to print something.

So when I try to access the desktop from Windows Explorer, under Network, I get "Enter network credentials" but the opposite (accessing the laptop from the desktop) works correctly (doesn't ask for anything).

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/statikuz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/statikuz, Dec 21, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Sharing printer and folder difficulties :)

Frogger, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Sharing printer and folder difficulties

Printer Sharing

Hi Bransby,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps

Computer you are sharing from

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Find your printer

3. Right click on the printer

4. Select “Printer properties"

5. Click on the sharing tab

6. Check "sharing this printer"

7. Give the printer a Name

8. Click apply

Computer you are trying to share to:

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Check for printer the devices and printers.

3. if it is not there click "add printer"

4. If the printer does not show up click “The printer that i wanted wasn't list"

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Sharing printer and folder difficulties

1. Sharing printer and folder difficulties - Similar Threads - Sharing printer folder

2. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  3. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  4. cannot connect sharing folder and printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot connect sharing folder and printer: anyone can help me ?so i have problem with my notebook with include WINDOWS 10 home OSwhen i try to connect things i shared, it always incorrect username and password, - first i make sure, that password, i has input is right- second, i've turn off user and password on advance...
  5. cannot connect sharing folder and printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot connect sharing folder and printer: anyone can help me ?so i have problem with my notebook with include WINDOWS 10 home OSwhen i try to connect things i shared, it always incorrect username and password, - first i make sure, that password, i has input is right- second, i've turn off user and password on advance...
  6. difficulty printing on shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    difficulty printing on shared printer: After win 10 update we face difficulty printing on shared printer in small network. Errors 0x0000011b and 0x000004005 erupts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difficulty-printing-on-shared-printer/2ac50354-136d-4482-8649-d5abea406470
  7. Shared printer problem but not shared folder issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer problem but not shared folder issue: Hi, I have a Win7pro PC that shares HP Officejet 800 on a local network. It's a small office of 6 Windows10 machines. The Win7pro machine has also a shared folder in case anyone would like to drop off the file to it and print it off the machine. All of it works well with...
  8. HP Printer send to shared folder issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Printer send to shared folder issue: Dear Experts I have got HP LaserJet M5035 MFP Series printer that initially was able to scan documents to shared folder on 2xDesktops (PC1 and PC2) windows 8 I upgraded PC1 (but not yet PC2) only from windows 8 to windows 10 pro 64 bit and I tried to copy the same setting...
  9. Word & Printer Difficulties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Word & Printer Difficulties: Had the laptop & printer for a month. Everything's been working fine. Yesterday afternoon, creating a document in Word, when requested that it print, received the message that there is no printer installed. Wrong! Had been printing all morning just fine, just not in Word....
  10. Sharing a Folder with BrotherMFC Laser Printer/Scanner

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sharing a Folder with BrotherMFC Laser Printer/Scanner: I currently have my BrotherMFC set up with an icon on the screen that will scan documents and place them on the desktop of my computer. In order to do this, I had to share my desktop. I used my current user account (which is an administrator account tied to Outlook). Should...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SHARE PRINTER