Windows 10: Sharing problem with one computer

Discus and support Sharing problem with one computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, This problem is driving me crazy. We have 3 computers on our home network, a Lenovo laptop, a Surface Pro, and a Samsung All-in-One PC. All are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LucyVan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. LucyVan Win User

Sharing problem with one computer

Hi,
    This problem is driving me crazy. We have 3 computers on our home network, a Lenovo laptop, a Surface Pro, and a Samsung All-in-One PC. All are running Windows 10. Both the Surface and Samsung can access all the shared files on all three computers. The Lenovo can access the Surface and get into the shared files with no problem. It can see the main shared file folders on the Samsung but when trying to access them we get the message "Contact your network administrator to request access". I am the administrator on the Samsung and have granted sharing permission to every computer on the network. We have tried everything to fix this to no avail.

The Homegroup brings up the computer names, but it is useless as we can see the files from all three computers on all three computers but cannot access any of them. They are whited out and clicking on them does nothing.

I am at my wits end. I've been working on this for days without success. Can anyone suggest how I can give the Lenovo access to the Samsung files?

Thanks so much!
    Lucy

:)

LucyVan, Mar 4, 2017
  2. scbauml Win User

Windows 10 not keeping the shared printer settings everyday

One of our computers has a shared printer that another one uses right next to it.

The problem is, everyday the one needing the shared computer has to delete the shared printer and re-install it.

On the computer that is sharing the printer, it has password protected sharing turned off. So i'm not sure why the other has to set it up all over again everyday.

This is all on Windows 10 Professional computers.

scbauml, Mar 4, 2017
  3. file sharing

There are 3 computers using this file (one is the host and the other two share the file via wireless). Only one computer is having trouble connecting to the file. The password protected sharing feature WILL NOT stay turned off after saving changes. QuickBooks
    says this is the problem but even with it turned ON, the other computer can share the file. There was an update installed on 10/1/16 and that's about when this issue started.

BillSheltonXB, Mar 4, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Try using regular Network sharing instead of homegroup. Also if you are using any kind of Internet Security Software, it can cause issues, including having adapters set as "Public" instead of "Private" on the Windows devices.

bro67, Mar 4, 2017
  5. LucyVan Win User
    Thanks for your reply, bro67. This thing is really weird. We can access all three computers by using the IP address in the Run command, but if we click on the computer in the Network section of Windows Explorer, we get a message that tells us the computer can't be accessed. It says to check the spelling and if that doesn't work, that we have a network issue.

The odd thing is that using the IP address and the Run Command everything works fine except one stupid thing. My husband has 2 accounts on his computer, one of which is also on mine but not on my Surface. This account can get into all the computer using the IP method fine. The other account is on only his computer and when he is using that account, he cannot access only my PC. He can see the files but is told he does not have permission to access them. We have tried everything we know of but no matter what we do, he can't get into my files with that account only. Naturally, that is the account he uses all the time and it is the administrator of the computer!

Our network settings are all on the Private setting, not public.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
    Lucy

LucyVan, Mar 4, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Netbios allows you to connect via assigned name. IP is the normal way if you wish to connect to shares. As long as all computer's network adapters are set to Private for Windows, then you should be able to see all computers on network through the Command Line.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing problem with one computer - Similar Threads - Sharing problem computer

2. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  3. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  4. One Drive Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    One Drive Sharing: I currently have a Desktop computer and a Laptop. Both are synced to my windows profile, but I have certain preferences I want as far as shared apps. I have games and work apps on my desktop. I recently wiped my laptop trying to increase it's speed, and synced my account this...
  5. Problems Sharing Computers through Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems Sharing Computers through Windows: Can someone reply with all of the settings needed to Share PCs ? Both have windows 10 and I have tried every solution that I can find. One is a laptop, the other is a desktop. Thanks....
  6. One windows account altering another on a shared computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One windows account altering another on a shared computer?: So I have windows 10 and use my account for some business and some gaming My wife got a job working from home and decided to make another account and profile on my computer, which is totally, however because it’s for work she doesn’t need a bunch of gaming shortcuts on her...
  7. One of the computers cannot connect to shared drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One of the computers cannot connect to shared drive: Hello. I have a desktop and a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I have 3TB of HDD storage, with 3 separate partitions on my desktop, that I'd like to also be able to access from my laptop when I'm at home, so I right clicked and shared the drive. I want it to be password protected...
  8. network problem can only share one way

network problem can only share one way: i have here 2 pcs one is a laptop other is a desktop for both the laptop and the desktop i have set a few folders to be shared in file explorer networks from the desktop, i can see and browse and transfer files to and from the laptop (with the given permissions) but i...
  9. Problem sharing folders/files between two win 10 computers (one desktop and one laptop)

Problem sharing folders/files between two win 10 computers (one desktop and one laptop): We are having problems sharing folders/files between two win 10 computers (one desktop and one laptop). Both are on the latest version of Win 10. I have tried endless remedies that I found on the internet to no avail. Currently I cannot see all my shared folders and...
  10. Sharing files and folders not working on one computer

Sharing files and folders not working on one computer: I have two desktops, one 32 bit connected by wifi and a 64 bit Windows 10 pro by ethernet. I can connect to shared folders from the 64 bit computer to 32 bit but not the other way round. The error I receive on the 32 bit computer is network path not found when I click on...