Windows 10: Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts

Discus and support Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; First, I HATE the way Windows 10 requires a password for sign in because the default set up is with an MS account. Almost enough to make me want to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by mcdeeRM, Mar 19, 2020.

1. mcdeeRM Win User

Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts

First, I HATE the way Windows 10 requires a password for sign in because the default set up is with an MS account. Almost enough to make me want to finally switch to Mac. Almost. With that out of the way, ...

In Win 7, I ran without a password a desktop that no one else uses and only signed into Microsoft occasionally as needed. My preference would be to do that in Win 10. The netplwiz route doesn't work, as it won't even let me select my MS account from the list so I can untick the “Users must enter a user name and password” box. So until Microsoft wakes up, the only solution I've found is to use a local account for most usage. OK unless someone has a different workaround on that.

So how do I access all my files from both profiles without having to create duplicates of everything under each profile? Do I have to resort to putting them all in the Public folders? Is there any way to 'share' the profile/ User files between the two accounts?

:)

mcdeeRM, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts :(

Zakin, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts

Problem When Right Clicking on Empty Area and Can't Change to Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As per the issue description you are unable to use right click and change the Microsoft account to local account. I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to change the Microsoft account to local account.

Follow these steps to create a “Local User account”.

• Press “Windows key" or Start icon.
    • Type “users” without quotes in the search box.
    • Then select “Users” from the left panel.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    • Then login to the local account and check how it works.

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts

1. Sharing profiles for Windows 10 local and Microsoft accounts - Similar Threads - Sharing profiles local

2. cannot convert local windows 11 profile to Microsoft account login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot convert local windows 11 profile to Microsoft account login: I am having a very specific problem that none of the individual suggested solutions for the multitude of problems has worked. A few weeks ago, I want to say after a windows update I noticed the following behaviorOutlook 365 classic app connected to my Gmail account...
  3. cannot convert local windows 11 profile to Microsoft account login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot convert local windows 11 profile to Microsoft account login: I am having a very specific problem that none of the individual suggested solutions for the multitude of problems has worked. A few weeks ago, I want to say after a windows update I noticed the following behaviorOutlook 365 classic app connected to my Gmail account...
  4. Windows 10 Shares with different local accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Shares with different local accounts: I have a Win 10 Pro device acting as file share drive. call it \\SharePC - No DomainI have 2 non-admin user accounts on this PC for authentication. lets call them Public1 and Private2I have 2 Folders shared, Public and Private, Share and NTFS Permissions set where Public1 can...
  5. Windows 10 Shares with different local accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Shares with different local accounts: I have a Win 10 Pro device acting as file share drive. call it \\SharePC - No DomainI have 2 non-admin user accounts on this PC for authentication. lets call them Public1 and Private2I have 2 Folders shared, Public and Private, Share and NTFS Permissions set where Public1 can...
  6. Windows 10 Shares with different local accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change Windows Account in local profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change Windows Account in local profile: Hallo, can you give me a hint how to change the windows account in a local profile without making a new profile? - - - Updated - - - I have already added another microsoft account but how can I change it? 179673
  8. Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?: Whenever I log in with my Microsoft Account to a new machine, it creates a local username and profile folder with a misspelled name (last few characters are truncated). (e.g. "C:\Users\willi" instead of "C:\Users\william"). Where is this stored, and can I change it? I...
  9. how to create mandatory 10 user (local not share profiles)

how to create mandatory 10 user (local not share profiles): Hello I have a problem creating the mandatory profile with windows 10 version creators update, with past versions i was taking the hidden file (ntuser.dat) by putting it in regedit and editing it (change user name with% username%) just by doing this Procedure once i...
  10. User account with more local profiles

User account with more local profiles: Hi In Windows 10, a user account can have two or more local profiles? If so, how do I create them and manage them? Thanks Bye 22930