Windows 10: Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED

Discus and support Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. This affects sharing TO W10 from other machines -- NOT FROM W10 TO other machines which seems to work just fine. Ms has changed some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jan 6, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED

Hi there.

This affects sharing TO W10 from other machines -- NOT FROM W10 TO other machines which seems to work just fine.

Ms has changed some security aspects of file sharing over networks in W10. The changes only affect W7 and earlier Windows OS'es and most Linux distros using SAMBA.

You need to BLOCK INBOUND port 139 on your WINDOWS 10 machine if you use something like NetBIOS to access your shared machines on a network. If you use an LMHOSTS file (I don't as I don't want fixed IP addresses on a network) or actual IP addresses to access your shares then you don't need to do anything.

(The two ports in question here are 139 and 445 - only block TCP port 139).

Note - you need to block the INCOMING port on the WINDOWS 10 Machine. If you don't have the firewall enabled then you will still get problems sharing via hostname - so enable the firewall (Windows).

What apparently is happening is that Windows 10 is only listening for PORT 445. SAMBA / W7 machines check Port 139 first -- wait for an acknowledgement (or other response) - and then if negative send out port 445. On W10 port 139 doesn't return any acknowledgment so on Linux SAMBA times our while Windows issues the message Cannot access .... etc.

This fix might not work in the final W10 release but it's still working even in build 9879.

Remember the problem is sharing TO Windows 10 -- NOT FROM WINDOWS 10 and only from Linux (samba) or Windows releases 7 and earlier.

(For those using Storage spaces - you have to share at FOLDER / DIRECTORY level as there's no "Physical Volumes of course).

If you are using CENTOS 7 as a Host you may still find that you can SEE the shares FROM Windows but can't access them -- for some reason you need to set wins = yes in the samba conf file if you are using a typical home LAN (not domains etc).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2015

2. Is it possible to install Linux in a Windows virtual Machine?

Absolutely possible (in fact easy) to Install most Linux distro's in Hyper-v. I have Ubuntu and OPEsuse running on this PC. BTW Hyper-v and most linux distro's are free.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 6, 2015
  3. bherber Win User
    Windows 10 unable to join homegroup with Windows 7

All of mine share the same login and password...That did not solve the problem. I still have a brand new desktop that shipped with W7/Pro, and laptop that I stupidly upgraded to W10, and the W10 laptop STILL cannot see the HomeGroup on the primary W7 system.

Is Microsoft EVER going to solve this problem?

bherber, Jan 6, 2015
  4. Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED

W10TP b9926 won't connect to any other machines in our house (they appear in the Network window in File Explorer).
    I didn't have this trouble with the other builds.

I'll try your suggestion out.

lehnerus2000, Jan 23, 2015
  5. Local Area Networking is totally broken in my b9926.

I tried:
    • Blocking port 139 everywhere I could find it - no effect
    • Turning the Firewall off - totally disables my network
    • Disabling NETBIOS - totally disables my network

I don't know how MS expects ordinary users to be able to deal with this.

lehnerus2000, Jan 24, 2015
  6. djm67 Win User
    I have the same issue.

Can see the other computers (all running W7), just cant get data from them. Error message \PC is not accessible. You might not have permission blah, blah, blah. The account is not authorised to log in from this station.

They can connect to the W10 machine.

All was working fine in b9789

djm67, Jan 25, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

apparently (different error from what I've been getting (solved on my LAN) there's a registry fix for this. I never got the message "not authorised..." etc so that's a different problem -- suppose it depends on how your LAN is set up.

I can't find the link but it's on the Forum. People who have made the registry fix says it solves their problem.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 25, 2015
  8. djm67 Win User

I used the registry fix, worked straight away.

djm67, Jan 25, 2015
  9. I used the registry fix, worked straight away. Can you please post the link or thread title? *Smile

lehnerus2000, Jan 26, 2015
  10. labeeman Win User
    I used the registry fix, worked straight away. Can you please post the link or thread title? *Smile I think it is in

Build 9226 - cant connect to shares?

Message # 13 has it.

labeeman, Jan 26, 2015
  11. Thanks labeeman. *Smile

I was wondering if it was related to "Lanman" settings.

In W7, I have to edit "Lsa" & "LanmanServer" to allow my media box to connect.

lehnerus2000, Jan 26, 2015
  12. As an experiment, I just copied my b9879 VM and then performed an "upgrade" to b9926 on it.
    The Network was broken after the "upgrade".

I've tried two clean installs & an "upgrade" and the Network was broken in all of them.
    *Doh

lehnerus2000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sharing TO W10 from W7 and most Linux distros SOLVED - Similar Threads - Sharing W10 Linux

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  6. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  7. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  8. W10 internet problem (mostly) solved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 internet problem (mostly) solved: I had significant issues with internet connection dying at first a few times a day and later even more. Eventually I by accident stumbled to a setting in the "OneDrive settings" (right mouse from the system icon on bottom corner onedrive icon), Performance-tab (or whatever...
  9. Return from W10 to W7

Return from W10 to W7: Is there anyway I can replace W10 with W7.This small notebook I purchased came with W8 installed and I then took the free upgrade to W10 but however hard I try W10 is not for me. 27444
  10. Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Steady

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Steady: W10 gained ~2% last month. W7 was steady. XP down ~1%. [img] NetMarketShare