Windows 10: Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10?

Discus and support Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to add "Tail" to the shell context menu for .txt files, but whatever I do the option just does not appear. It worked fine in Windows 7.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rustyx, Jul 4, 2016.

1. rustyx Win User

Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10?

I'm trying to add "Tail" to the shell context menu for .txt files, but whatever I do the option just does not appear.

It worked fine in Windows 7. Has this feature been disabled in Windows 10?

My .reg file looks like:

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\Tail] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\Tail\command] @="tail.exe -f \"%1\""[/quote] How can I make it work again?

:)

rustyx, Jul 4, 2016

2. Problems with Windows 10 Pro

This is the list of the third part right click extensions obtained running shexview:

Extension Name
    Disabled
    Type
    Description
    Version
    Product Name
    Company

AcContextMenuHandler
    No
    Context Menu
    AutoCAD Dwg common shell extension handler
    AutoCAD
    Autodesk

BUContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Backup Shell
    Backup
    Symantec Corporation

IEContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    Norton Security Shell Extension Module
    Norton Security
    Symantec Corporation

NvAppShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Display Shell Extension
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGLShExt Class
    No
    Context Menu
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Shell Extensions
    NVIDIA Corporation

TheDeskTopContextMenu Class
    No
    Context Menu
    igfxDTCM Module
    Intel(R) Common User Interface
    Intel Corporation

GianfrancoDian MS, Jul 4, 2016
  3. After KB3124262 update when I right click on the desktop the options (refresh, change desktop background, etc.) come after a delay of three to four seconds

If the delay is seen when right-clicking on the Desktop, one of the shell extensions may be causing it... Intel graphics add a shell extension in the Desktop context menu.

Right-click delays are caused by third-party shell extensions. To identify the culprit, you need to use an utility like ShellExView, and disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one (or disable items in a batch) and observe

Slow Right Click:

Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

The desktop background context menu loads from these two registry keys, if you want to inspect them manually.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 4, 2016
Thema:

Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10?

1. Shell context menu registry extension doesn't work in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Shell context menu

2. How to remove these specific options in the Windows 10 context menu/shell?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove these specific options in the Windows 10 context menu/shell?: Which registry keys do I need to change and how to remove the following Windows 10 context menu/shell options? - Add to a shared album - Send to - Restore previous versions Kaspersky specific: - Check reputation in KNS WITHOUT removing Kaspersky's: - Scan for viruses...
  3. OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive context menu options Windows Shell: Hello. I want to eliminate specific OneDrive options that appear in the Context Menu when I right-click on the File Explorer. I don't want to eliminate all the OneDrive options: just specific ones, like "Free up space" and "Storage at 85%: Get more". Is it possible? Thank you...
  4. Show files extension toogle in context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Show files extension toogle in context menu: I wish I've had the option for toggle hide/show files extension by simply push left SHIFT for extended menu anywhere on empty space in a folder or desktop, and choosing it from there, rather than doing it by folder options or the explorer drop down menu with all extra...
  5. How to remove context menu items from shell?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove context menu items from shell?: I want to remove the following three items only (marked with red x). [img] 115171
  6. Add File Name Extensions Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add File Name Extensions Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add File Name Extensions Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add File Name Extensions Context Menu in Windows 10 A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which app should open it. By default, File Explorer hides...
  7. Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove: The saga of restoring my Windows 10 machine back to its recent glory continues... As my machine is now getting its mojo back with the help of some folks from this forum (thanks guys!), there are still some stray ghosts roaming around it. For example, I continue to see...
  8. Inconsistent Shell Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inconsistent Shell Context Menu: I noticed something peculiar this morning. The Explorer right-click context menu is inconsistent on what it displays. For example, when I right-clicked on one folder, it displays the "Add to Windows Media Player List" and "Play with Windows Media Player" options. [img]...
  9. Add Registry File to New Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Registry File to New Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Registry File to New Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information .Reg files are registration entries that are text-based human-readable files for exporting and importing portions of the Registry. The New context menu allows users to quickly create new...
  10. Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Those really familair with the registry/shell/context menu/mmc snap-in: Yea convoluted title for a convoluted issue. First some back story - I apologize. I'm very specific and ocd. Bar the natural slow evolution of things over the years, ive kept my pcs with each successive build set up exactly the same way. Its painstaking at first but...