Windows 10: shell extension for Explorer

Discus and support shell extension for Explorer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does Windows Explorer have some shell extension available which adds a function to File Properties that would display the "Comments" field for PSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobBelhouse, Aug 22, 2020.

1. shell extension for Explorer

Does Windows Explorer have some shell extension available which adds a function to File Properties that would display the "Comments" field for PSD image files in Windows 10? I am able to see this field in Windows 7 If so, how can I access this capability and install it?

:)

BobBelhouse, Aug 22, 2020

2. Window 10 File Explorer Crashes When Right Click on File with SPECIFIC Filename Extension

The cause for this problem seems to be third party shell extensions. To get rid of culprit extension, you can download ShellExView. ShellExView is a free third-party application that can be used to manage, disable and enable all of the shell extensions
    that you have on your computer

Download ShellExView -
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Extract the zip file

Launch ShellExView by right-clicking on the application named shexview and clicking on Run as administrator

You will be met with a list of all the shell extensions installed on your computer once the program is done compiling it. Once you see the list, click on Options > Filter by Extension Type > Context Menu.

In the newly compiled list, you will see entries that have pink backgrounds. All of these entries are shell extensions installed on your computer by third-party applications.

Hold down the Ctrl key and click on each of the “pink background” entries to select them.

Once all of the “pink background” entries have been selected, right-click on them and click on Disable Selected Items to disable all of them.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer. Try right-clicking on your Desktop, and File Explorer should no longer crash.

Once you have fixed the problem, next comes identifying the culprit and disabling it for good. To do so, you are going to have to:

Right-click on any one of the “pink background” shell extensions that you disabled and click on Enable Selected Items to enable it.

Click on Options > Restart Explorer, right-click on your Desktop and see if File Explorer

If File Explorer does not crash, keep on repeating steps 1 and 2, enabling a different third-party shell extension every time, until File Explorer crashes and you start experiencing the problem again.

The third-party shell extension you enabled just before the problem returned is the culprit. You can go ahead and enable all of the “pink background” shell extensions you disabled except for this one as this one is the culprit. Keep this shell extension disabled
    for good – in fact, it is recommended that you uninstall the third-party application that installed this shell extension on your computer altogether.

E for Excel, Aug 22, 2020
  3. File Explorer crashes

Hi LUVSITE,

Shell extensions are modules that extend the functionality of the Explorer shell. Context menu handler is a type of shell extension that load when you right-click on a file or folder. A buggy shell extension (mostly the ones from 3rd programs) can cause
    slow right-click issues, or crashes in the Explorer environment.

"View Reliability History" page in Control Panel can sometimes tell you which particular extension has crashed the shell. But in some cases it doesn't tell you the exact extension or module name, and in such as case, ShellExView is one tool we depend upon.

ShellExView helps you enable or disable unwanted shell extensions in your system, very useful for troubleshooting right-click issues.

In the
    this link
    (which is the 2nd link in my previous post), skip the "Symptoms" section and follow the steps listed under "Using ShellExView to determine the Context-menu causing the problem".

Let's know if you have any doubts when following those steps. It should not be that difficult.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 22, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

shell extension for Explorer

How can I remove this virus remnant?

I was also going to suggest Autoruns.

Check to make sure it isn't attaching itself to explorer. It should be the 3rd thing listed in Autoruns, the listing for the Shell. It should just be Explorer.exe. If it is anything else, that might be your problem.

newtekie1, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

shell extension for Explorer

1. shell extension for Explorer - Similar Threads - shell extension Explorer

2. Why does Windows Defender have a shell extension that slows down Explorer in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Defender have a shell extension that slows down Explorer in Windows 10?: On my system after some windows updates, possibly due to my changing a Windows Defender configuration, Explorer has been taking a second more like several to create a new folder and the same time again to rename it. Even opening the Explorer program seems to be sluggish. I...
  3. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  4. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  5. When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?: Through ProcessHacker, I can see that SettingSyncHost.exe (Host Process for Settings Synchronization) loads Shell extensions from OneDrive (FileSyncShell64.dll), MEGAsync (ShellExtX64.dll), IDM (IDMShellExt64.dll), etc. For debugging a scenario, I'm trying to have...
  6. How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?: So I've just installed WinRAR (an x86 application) on my shiny new Yoga C630 ARM64 laptop and was very surprised to find out that the explorer shell extension (the one that adds the compress context menu options on right click) actually works. Now I have to say that I'm...
  7. file explorer extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer extensions: I recently transferred my files from an old laptop to a new one. All of my files have a new extension similar to the following: (2019_03_15 16_15_59 UTC). What happened, what did I do wrong?...
  8. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection: Good afternoon all. Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct? Windows Explorer...
  9. Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove: The saga of restoring my Windows 10 machine back to its recent glory continues... As my machine is now getting its mojo back with the help of some folks from this forum (thanks guys!), there are still some stray ghosts roaming around it. For example, I continue to see...
  10. Drag and drop shell extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop shell extension: Hello everybody, does anybody know how to remove the "create shortcuts here" context-entry when dragging-dropping files with right mouse button? Thanks, Marco 31783