Windows 10: Shell Menu New

Discus and support Shell Menu New in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One of Nir Sofer's brilliant and helpful utilities. Controls what's displayed on the context menu New section. Personally, I only want Shortcut and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Shell Menu New

One of Nir Sofer's brilliant and helpful utilities. Controls what's displayed on the context menu New section. Personally, I only want Shortcut and Folder but MS slaps all office programs in there frequently.

In the File menu There is a Save Selected Items choice which opens an explorer window and asks for a name. Good, I thought. But I can't find any way to use the saved data. Like click on it and have it restore my previous selections.

Have I missed something?

:)

tcebob, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. Shell experience not running in Windows 10

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Does that mean the Start menu Cortana and the Task bar is not responding?

• Which is the current build installed on the computer?

• Did you install any third party security application?

• Where exactly did you find that the shell experience not running?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Hope the information helps. Please get back to us with the required information. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 12, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Shell Menu New

[Tip]Classic Shell - Get back classic features of the Windows UI(Classic Start Menu)

You can get Classic Shell Here. It is open source and free.*Rockout :rockout:

When installing, do note that you can install the Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu features seperately, so if you don't have use for one or the other don't install it if you want to save a little hard drive space. Though the total install only takes about 4MB with both features installed.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_1.png

Now there are so many tweaks that Classic Shell offers there is no way I will be able to go over each one. But I do suggest if you are missing a UI feature from an older version of Windows that was removed from Win7, try Classic Shell, because I haven't seen a feature yet that wasn't in there. But I'm just going to go over a few features that I use and like for now.

First of all, the Classic Start Menu. It is pretty self explainitory. Right when you finish installing Classic Shell, the Classic Start menu will be active by default. Now you can set different keys to open either the Classic Start Menu or the Standard Start Menu. Personally, I usually have it set to that clicking on the start button opens the Classic Start Menu, while pushing the Windows key on my keyboard opens the Standard Start Menu.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_2.jpg

Also, with the Classic Start menu Shutting down goes back to the classic Windows XP style.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_3.jpg

You can access all of your settings for both Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu by going to the program folder in the start menu.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_4.jpg

Some of the features I use for Classic Explorer are the Up Arrow(which is enabled by default) along with disabling breadcrumbs. If you aren't sure what breadcrumbs are, look at the screenshot, breadcrumbs are the new way the address bar works in Win7, I think it was a way to eliminate the up arrow. Anyway, now that I have an up arrow again they are pretty worthless. So I disable them so that the actual path is dislayed in the address bar.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_5.jpg

One last thing I like to do is disable the Alternate File/Folder conflict dialog boxes. I actually prefer the new style that came with Win7. By default these options are enabled, which brings up the classic style dialog box whenever you are trying to copy over a file/folder that already exists.

Shell Menu New ClassicShell_6.jpg

There are hundreds of little UI tweaks available in Classic Shell. So I would suggest you try it. If you don't like it, uninstalling it removes all the tweaks and returns everything to normal. And you can pretty much turn off every tweak you don't want, I know some people that use it just for the Up arrow in Explorer.

*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Shell Menu New

1. Shell Menu New - Similar Threads - Shell Menu

2. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?: So basically, I installed office again, and I have notepad++ attached to .txt files, so it shows in the context menu. Is there any way to move the Notepad++ Document/.txt shell key upwards or downwards, so it doesn't split the MS Office applications? Yes this triggers me and...
  3. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?: So basically, I installed office again, and I have notepad++ attached to .txt files, so it shows in the context menu. Is there any way to move the Notepad++ Document/.txt shell key upwards or downwards, so it doesn't split the MS Office applications? Yes this triggers me and...
  4. Is there a way to manually rearrange the "new" shell context menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...: I am on windows 11 and I Installed a program called classic shell that is made to replace the current taskbar because I wanted to hide the clock from the taskbar, and this is not currently possible in windows 11. This program was alright, but I can't use windows clipboard...
  6. Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...

Please help me return my start menu and ability to search in file explorer! Classic Shell...: I am on windows 11 and I Installed a program called classic shell that is made to replace the current taskbar because I wanted to hide the clock from the taskbar, and this is not currently possible in windows 11. This program was alright, but I can't use windows clipboard...
  7. Scuse me what is the shell number for the start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scuse me what is the shell number for the start menu?: I'm looking to make a shortcut to the START MENU, and the shortcut was shell:some random numbers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scuse-me-what-is-the-shell-number-for-the-start/5f2fff96-f577-4e83-a6b2-4b5f8dbd774b
  8. Scuse me what is the shell number for the start menu?

Scuse me what is the shell number for the start menu?: I'm looking to make a shortcut to the START MENU, and the shortcut was shell:some random numbers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scuse-me-what-is-the-shell-number-for-the-start/5f2fff96-f577-4e83-a6b2-4b5f8dbd774b
  9. Open shell menu

Open shell menu: Anyone know if Open Shell Menu will work in win 11 ? 181208
  10. Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?

Insert Separator into Open Shell Start Menu?: Windows 10 20H2 I'm not sure how to check the version number of Open Shell that's running on my system. In the help file it says "Version 4.3.1 general release." I'd like to insert a separator line into the Open Shell Start Menu. I was warned against posting in the Open Shell...