Windows 10: Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.

Discus and support Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I mistakenly moved my Shell32.dll file from the System 32 folder. After restarting the computer, it will not boot. It only reaches the "Please Wait"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lizzie Jo PC 11, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.

I mistakenly moved my Shell32.dll file from the System 32 folder. After restarting the computer, it will not boot. It only reaches the "Please Wait" screen, and hangs there forever. Booting in safe mode/safe mode with networking does the same thing.

I've also tried starting windows 10 on volume 2, an option I was given from the recovery screen thing, but it freezes on please wait too.

I managed to reach the command prompt and run sfc /scannow, and it failed. I followed the steps essenbe posted here Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll but I don't see a way to copy/paste from that screen. It just asks me to select where to install windows, but does not show any files.

I've been searching the internet all day for a way to fix this, I've tried every solution I could find, and nothing has worked.

The shell32.dll file should currently be located in a folder inside of the documents folder.

Thank you for your help, I truly need and appreciate it.

:)

Lizzie Jo PC 11, Oct 17, 2018
  2. Eric Ber Win User

[.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

Hi Mark,

A corrupted Desktop.ini file that is on your desktop or startup folder is one of the possible reasons why you are having an opened file with the message:
    [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799. To have this remove, you will need to delete the Desktop.ini file. You can follow the steps below:

• Start File Explorer.
    • Click on the View menu, and click Options, and then click the
      View tab.
    • In the Advanced settings box, click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box and the Hide protected operating system files check box (if they are not already cleared), and then click
      OK.
    • Locate the Desktop.ini file on the desktop or startup folder and delete it.
    • After deleting the file, go to File Explorer
      > View tab on ribbon > Options > View
      tab in Folder Options dialog and restart your computer.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you run your computer in
    clean boot
    . Running your computer in clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 17, 2018
  3. shell32.dll and desktop.ini

Hey guys

i am seeing many desktop.ini popping up in multiple folders... I know many of you are going to ask, so "Yes", i did change the option to show hidden system files. Im just curious, is it normal for so many desktop.ini files to pop up in random folders?

I have another question, i noticed that many of them are utilizing shell32.dll. and example of this is:

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

My other question is, what does "shell 32.dll -21799" do? I also notice that other desktop.ini files are calling
    shell32.dll but with -2XXXX. Where can i find a translation of what 21799 does along with all the other calls that are made.

Thanks for your help

yesyesyes_79, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.

How do I add new icons to the SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll on my computer?

Hi Mitchell,

The icons found in SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll are by default. Only .dll files can be used as icons, you need to use a third party software that can convert/create your .png files to .dll.

Don't hesitate to post back should you have any other concerns.

Regile Reb, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot.

1. Shell32.dll file was removed from System32, now computer won't boot. - Similar Threads - Shell32 dll file

2. textfile after boot; @%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    textfile after boot; @%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787: I accidentally stopped a "critical process" in task manager. my laptop went blue screen. I restarted. everything was fine but a notepad file named "desktop.ini" opened automaticly. including: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787...
  3. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787: Appears at Log in Will it affect my machine if I delete it? What does it do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shellclassinfo/efb80616-cde8-45d6-baaf-3bb4d3b3d0f2
  4. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21769...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21769...: I have a file called Desktop which has this displayed in it: [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769 IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183 Since this last update, my computer has been slow and very glitchy. I am...
  5. shell32.dll error and other problems?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    shell32.dll error and other problems?: Hello, there's a problem with my windows 10 laptop, I don't exactly know whats wrong, but when I login to my account it always says something about shell32.dll missing. Ever since that happened I wasn't able to press anything, the WiFi icon is gone and I can't connect to the...
  6. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD: Can you please help with this blue screen. I get different kind of blue screen since a few month, this one is latest. Its not my ram I tested it. Some help pls, thanks. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjWUmvzIdGqijgmU1yi48Lp8a3vI...
  7. "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll": Hello- I have installed a couple of games (Rainbow Six Seige + Fortnite ) and both display "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll". as a sort of crash? Minecraft runs fine and so does everything- Dell Support Assist says my computer is fine so....? How do I access Shell32 files...
  8. change those shell32.dll icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    change those shell32.dll icons: [img] Hi to all! Does anyone know if can I change those icons via resource hacker? 103971
  9. Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't boot after replacing imageres.dll and shell32.dll: Hello everyone, I am in desperate need of help. I hated Windows 10's icons so i tried replacing them with copies from Windows 8.1, the copy succeeded but when i tried to boot back into Windows it got stuck at the loading screen and kept flashing repeatedly, can you please...
  10. Missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file: My computer just shut off on my, and once i turned it back on it said that i had a missing shell32.dll and WININET.dll file. I was never messing with any files, just playing a video game. I cant open anything besides documents. I tried looking stuff up on how to fix but it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll 21799

2. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll 21787

3. ocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll 21815

4. [.shellclassinfo]localizedresourcename=@%systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll 21787