Windows 10: Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!

Discus and support Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks I recovered another old server -- rescued again from I.T dept scrapping it and totally wiped HDD's. Nothing of mine was or ever had been on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Sep 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!

Hi folks
    I recovered another old server -- rescued again from I.T dept scrapping it and totally wiped HDD's. Nothing of mine was or ever had been on that machine.

Created media creation tool for current version of Windows and installed W10 Pro eng-GB edition.
    checked "I don't have a product key and installed.

At first boot I went to activation -->change product key as Windows was flagged as not activated.

entered an old Technet key for Windows 8.1 pro (VL, multiple activation edition) -- key was from around aug 2013 so 5 yeas old !!.

Checked activation after entering the product key. (The one from Technet for Windows 8.1).

"Windows has been activated with a digital licence".

I'm sure this is legal - but I'm surprised those activation servers haven't shut this down by now.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 23, 2018
  2. Delta6326 Win User

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7 / W8 refusenik?

Yes line of site internet. Was technet w7 ultimate then w8 pro upgrade that $15 one.

Delta6326, Sep 23, 2018
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

a legal VL multiple activation license is still a LEGAL license so there is IMO no way that this would stop working until Ms say that W8.1 or whatever was no longer a "Qualifying product" for upgrade.

People who have trouble with these licenses might have bought invalid or stolen keys from Internet or whatever.

I have to admit though I was surprised that given a legal key the upgrade to W10 still works after all these years my key was from around Aug 2013 so around 5 years old !!!! (which is just a tiny bit older than me actually !!!!!).

I can't believe it totally but perhaps W8.1 still has the possibility to update while people who had W7 / W8 etc get problems. Could be that the numbers of people who installed W8.1 and activated it compared with the number who installed W7 and W8 was miniscule so Ms just didn't bother with locking the activation codes.

Anway to recap to get free update to W10 Pro from "qualifying systems". (W7 PRO/ultimate, W8 pro / W8.1 Pro)
    do the following :

1) you don't need to ensure the old OS is actually activated - just do a a clean install and IMO there's no point in not doing a clean install from these older OS'es

2) Download Windows MCT (media creation tool).

3) add the ei.cfg to the sources folder - this saves problems on getting correct edition -- default via this type of upgrade is Windows Home !!. Adding this file (check on the Forum for way of how to do this). With this file added at install time you get a prompt of what edition you want to install.

4) run the install but choose "I don't have a product key" -- ignore other advice on the forum to enter the "generic one".

5) after installation complete at first boot go to Windows activation -- you will probably see Windows not activated.

6) choose in the activation menu Enter product key.

7) now enter your W7/W8/W8.1 product key.

8) you should now find "Windows activated with digital Licence".

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 23, 2018
  4. Tatty_One Win User

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7 / W8 refusenik?

Thanks, when W7 becomes in effect obsolete, I will upgrade to W8, when that is gone I will upgrade to an Android tablet and play candy crush all day in retirement *Big Grin Shhh!!!   Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !! :D

Tatty_One, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !! - Similar Threads - Shhh Free upgrade

2. System Restore W8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore W8: My control panel is not showing its system restore to restore. I have it's icon in my bottom task bar and when I open that it only shows todays date and nothing to choose another date to restore. Does anyone know how to get this restore to work? I have been all over the net...
  3. System Restore W8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore W8: My control panel is not showing its system restore to restore. I have it's icon in my bottom task bar and when I open that it only shows todays date and nothing to choose another date to restore. Does anyone know how to get this restore to work? I have been all over the net...
  4. how to going back to w8

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to going back to w8: hi, I would like to know if there is any way to going back to w8, I did the update to w10 long time ago but I need to going back to w8, thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-going-back-to-w8/b0da289b-852b-4b4f-9ac0-f9b5d7cd0a7e
  5. Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Shhh!!! Free upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!: Hi folks I recovered another old server -- rescued again from I.T dept scrapping it and totally wiped HDD's. Nothing of mine was or ever had been on that machine. Created media creation tool for current version of Windows and installed W10 Pro eng-GB edition. checked "I...
  6. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  7. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Reminder - probably stop soon - Old W7/W8 keys STILL working

Reminder - probably stop soon - Old W7/W8 keys STILL working: Hi folks Those wanting to do CLEAN installs or upgrades (including CU update 1703) can STILL use W7/W8/W8.1 keys from old installations or old Technet keys -- remember though you can only upgrade to similar --e,g W7pro/Ultimate--->W10 Pro for example. Not sure how long...
  10. FREE upgrade from W7 / W8 / W8.1 to CU upgrade STILL working !!!

FREE upgrade from W7 / W8 / W8.1 to CU upgrade STILL working !!!: Hi there Clean install CU edition from an ISO using W8 key (old Technet key --still kept those) works fine and activates. Cheers jimbo 81199