Windows 10: Shield icons

Discus and support Shield icons in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have new shield icons superimposed on my shortcut icons. Clicking on shortcut icon gives me a box asking to allow Google to make changes to hard... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by EdwardMaggitti, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Shield icons

I have new shield icons superimposed on my shortcut icons. Clicking on shortcut icon gives me a box asking to allow Google to make changes to hard drive. Answering no sends me back to desktop display. Answering yes opens web site of that icon and everything works normally after that. What does this mean?

:)

EdwardMaggitti, Nov 2, 2020

2. HotSpot Shield

Hi thomlyons,

To uninstall HotSpot Shield you need to disable the VPN profile first. If you don't know how, please contact HotSpot Shield support for assistance. Once you have disabled the VPN profile follow the steps below to uninstall the app.

1. Go to the app list and look for HotSpot Shield.

2. Touch and hold the app.

3. Then tap uninstall.

Sincerely,

77615ba0-cf67-44f4-aacd-4de8eba6c846, Nov 2, 2020
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Shield might not be a standard icon

First off...thank you very much! It works! Well...for the most part...

Second...it's not as straight-forward as you make it sound. You need to not be a computer illiterate idiot to figure out the things you didn't thoroughly explain. Namely "what kind of bootable Desktop Utility are you talking about?". I went with Active Boot Disk installed on a USB flash drive. Which worked perfectly. What you need to do with it is fairly self-explanatory. Granted you aren't the "computer illiterate idiot" I spoke of previously. If you are...get someone who isn't to help you with it. I'm sure such folks could probably be found on this particular site even. I just don't have the time or patience to go over all the intimate details at the moment.

Third...there are some drawbacks to this method.

1. It only works for Desktop Icons.
    2. It doesn't work for new Desktop Icons.

So...what that means is:

1. Other Icons that aren't found on the Desktop will be left with a black square where the yellow/blue shield used to be(say the ones you may have in Documents or Downloads for example).
    2. If you create a new Desktop Icon, that would have had the yellow/blue shield, it will now also have a black square instead of the yellow/blue shield. This requires you to rebuild the Icon Cache again to fix it. No biggy. You already know how to do that.

Lastly...my recommendations are:

1. Make a backup copy of the original imageres.dll file before you do anything. Then rename it to differentiate it from the modified imageres.dll file you'll be using to replace the one in C:\Windows\System32. Something like imageres(original).dll. That way you can easily put things back how they were. If you decide you aren't satisfied with the results. Though sfc /scannow may be just as easy an option. I'm not 100% sure on that...so I went with the file backup method. Hence my recommendation that you do the same.
    2. To make things easier for rebuilding the Icon Cache you can use the BAT file found here. Hold on to it for later...since you'll need to rebuild the Icon Cache every time you create a new Icon on the Desktop that will now show up with the black square instead of the yellow/blue shield.

All said and done...it's still a pretty good way to do it. If you can stand the imperfections. All the other methods I tried failed(or I decided were inferior for whatever reason and never bothered trying). It was either this way works...or I was going to have to do the convoluted Task Scheduler routine. Which I'm not very interested in doing at the moment. What a hassle. *Banghead For now...I'll put up with the black squares on my non-desktop icons...and call it good. Shield icons :)

MrGenius, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Shield icons

UAC Shield

Hi,

Let's follow the steps suggested by Jim From KS on November 9, 2013 in this

thread
    and check if it helps.

For further queries, feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Jessieca Sobe, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

Shield icons

1. Shield icons - Similar Threads - Shield icons

2. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon: Hi, I have uninstalled Bitdefender Total Security and am wanting to use Windows Security, how ever when I try to open the app I simply get a black screen with a shield icon. I have tried the following fixes:I have uninstalled Bitdefender appsI have repaired and reset the...
  3. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon: Hi, I have uninstalled Bitdefender Total Security and am wanting to use Windows Security, how ever when I try to open the app I simply get a black screen with a shield icon. I have tried the following fixes:I have uninstalled Bitdefender appsI have repaired and reset the...
  4. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon: Split from this thread. Hi Frank,If you wish to fix Windows Security, please start a new thread and post the following logs. Post the link to the new thread here.Step 1:Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST64.exe. [See also: Collect Farbar Recovery Scan Tool logs.]Rename...
  5. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon

Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon: Split from this thread. Hi Frank,If you wish to fix Windows Security, please start a new thread and post the following logs. Post the link to the new thread here.Step 1:Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST64.exe. [See also: Collect Farbar Recovery Scan Tool logs.]Rename...
  6. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon on white screen after installing Windows 11

Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon on white screen after installing Windows 11: I updated my Machine with some challenges to Windows 11 H23H2.After that the Machine itself did several updates.The Windows updater now says I'm Up to DateI wanted to check the settings in the Windows Security, it just shows a white screen with a Shield logo in the middle.No...
  7. Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon on white screen after installing Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Windows only shows Shield Icon on white screen after installing Windows 11: I updated my Machine with some challenges to Windows 11 H23H2.After that the Machine itself did several updates.The Windows updater now says I'm Up to DateI wanted to check the settings in the Windows Security, it just shows a white screen with a Shield logo in the middle.No...
  8. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons: This is not in as much, a question. It's a solution that worked for me in Windows 11. I had a few programs that I created shortcut for and added Admin privileges to. I wanted to remove the admin privileges, so I right-clicked and on the "Compatibility Tab", I unchecked "Run...
  9. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons: This is not in as much, a question. It's a solution that worked for me in Windows 11. I had a few programs that I created shortcut for and added Admin privileges to. I wanted to remove the admin privileges, so I right-clicked and on the "Compatibility Tab", I unchecked "Run...
  10. Removing UAC shield from shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Customization