Windows 10: Shift + G toggles cursor (arrow to text input)

Discus and support Shift + G toggles cursor (arrow to text input) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, This is a really weird issue that I'm having. When I use Shift + G my mouse cursor toggles between arrow and text input. Meaning I can't type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mpulse, Feb 7, 2021.

1. mpulse Win User

Shift + G toggles cursor (arrow to text input)

Hi all,

This is a really weird issue that I'm having.
    When I use Shift + G my mouse cursor toggles between arrow and text input. Meaning I can't type an uppercase G.

Windows version number: Windows 10.0.19041

I checked Windows Game Bar but Win + G is registered and it's working.
    In my screen-capture, it looks like an overlay pops up but there is none that I can see normally.

:)

mpulse, Feb 7, 2021

2. how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in Microsoft Wubi?

Thanks for your reply. However, I tried this solution and it applied on Microsoft Pinyin input method, not on Microsoft Wubi input method. In other word, I disabled toggle Chinese and English mode in Microsoft Pinyin with shift key, but this key
    still working as toggling in Microsoft Wubi.

monororothird, Feb 7, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Arrow keys started highlighting text

You need to turn off NumLock to stop this behaviour . . .

Normal behavior for a keyboard is arrow keys move cursor on text, if the Shift key is pressed using arrow keys text is highlighted, the Numlock Key simulates the Shift key being pressed!

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Feb 7, 2021
  4. gronostaj Win User

Ctrl+Shift Arrow-Keys not working as expected

I suspect this is a case of PEBKAC Shift + G toggles cursor (arrow to text input) ;)

Ctrl+Shift+↑/↓ is supposed to move lines in Notepad++.

Shift+↑/↓ will select text.

In general, unless specific application overloads this behavior:

• Shift enables text selection as cursor moves (either with arrows or Home/End/Page Up/Page Down keys)
    • Ctrl+←/→ makes cursor move by words instead of characters
    • Ctrl+Page Up/Page Down jumps to actual next page, not just next screen (ie. scrolls document to the top of next sheet of paper)
    • Ctrl+Home/End jumps to beginning/end of the document

gronostaj, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Shift + G toggles cursor (arrow to text input) - Similar Threads - Shift toggles cursor

2. Shift + g not working in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift + g not working in windows 11: When I try to type Uppercase of letter 'g' using "SHIFT + g", it doesn't work whereas all the other letters works fine with uppercase using SHIFT key. Help me to fix the issue with only letter "g"...
  3. Shift + g not working in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift + g not working in windows 11: When I try to type Uppercase of letter 'g' using "SHIFT + g", it doesn't work whereas all the other letters works fine with uppercase using SHIFT key. Help me to fix the issue with only letter "g"...
  4. My cursor arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
    My cursor arrow: How do I get my cursor symbol back? My cursor is now a small round clock/target like symbol - with a small black triangle at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 positions. Please help. Thank you....
  5. Text Input Cursor is a Black Box

Text Input Cursor is a Black Box: [ATTACH] As seen in the screen shot, the insert cursor is thicker than usual, the image hasn't been enhanced. It flickers like the normal cursor I have this problem on many places, file explorer, word, and inserting password etc All help appreciated....
  6. Purple arrow arrows in text

Purple arrow arrows in text: Hello,I just turned on a setting on my pc and I am not sure what is this thing on my text [ATTACH] . Can you guys tell me how can I turn this off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/purple-arrow-arrows-in-text/96ea0e1d-9cb9-489e-a70d-8a8fd7b91c20
  7. how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...

how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...: Please note: This is not about changing input methods or keyboards. This is about changing "Modes" within a keyboard. The shift key is really annoying. I'm using Microsoft Wubi input method. This input method has two modes: English mode and Chinese mode. A setting named...
  8. Toggle to lock keyboard input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toggle to lock keyboard input: Hi all, Is there a way to lock your keyboard input through Windows? My cats are a pain in the neck. I normally leave my laptop on for music/calls/etc. at night, and they like to crawl all over the keyboard, causing all sorts of mass destruction by the time I'm up in the...
  9. how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...

how to disable Shift key that toggles Chinese input mode and English input mode in...: I'm using Microsoft Wubi input method. This input method has two modes: English mode and Chinese mode. A setting named "Mode Switching" in Microsoft Pinyin allows users toggling two modes with their satisified key(s), but none in Microsoft Wubi input method. What should I do...
  10. cursor freezes and jumps intermittently , cannot input text by ketboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cursor freezes and jumps intermittently , cannot input text by ketboard: An error taking place with cursor sticks at various place on the monitor and sometimes the pointer jumps all around the screen .I cannot write or search anything with frozen and jumping cursor ....