Windows 10: SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10

Discus and support SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I’m here to report an issue based on my keyboard, where the shift acts as if it is locked when it physically isn’t. I recall this issue seemingly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VítorSantos1, Feb 20, 2020.

1. SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10

I’m here to report an issue based on my keyboard, where the shift acts as if it is locked when it physically isn’t. I recall this issue seemingly starting alongside and after another mysterious but instantly fixed issue which consisted of my keyboard typing the slash / character without end. The problem rose up spontaneously 5 days ago, seemingly at random periods during my sessions, lasting for the entire session before I eventually did a reboot after which the problem was temporarily fixed. For each session, the phenomenon began happening earlier and earlier, until it basically occurs right after I boot the PC instantly.

The symptoms include:

• Permanent capital letters without Caps Lock turned on
    • Clicking open windows or applications will order a new instance of the same app to pop up. Example: Clicking on an open firefox window will generate a new default browser window no site linked other than the search tab.
    • More specifically, I can’t create new browser tabs within a window; I can’t click another open tab to view it; Big portions of text and images are selected all at once by a single click; unable to close tabs.
    • I’m unable to write any lowercase characters, which includes numbers, regardless of CAPS LOCK being active or not.

I’ve tried the following solutions shared by dozens of threads in this and other platforms:

• Finding any updates online for my keyboard drivers - FAILED
    • Reinstalling keyboard drivers - FAILED
    • Tried running system on Safe Mode - FAILED, Option selection by number was impossible due to the keyboard issue
    • Turned sticky keys on and off - FAILED, only succeeded temporarily only for the problem to come back shortly
    • fn+ins - FAILED, only succeeded temporarily, lasting a while until the problem came back and the solution apparently didn’t work anymore. Note: Performed with on-screen keyboard.
    • Tried using my last keyboard which had a big number of non-functional keys but didn’t include any of the shift keys - FAILED. While not being a very evident claim, it seems the shift lock issue is coming from the PC itself, since the shift keys were also locked in this older keyboard.
    • Tried a variety of keyboard options in the Ease of Access menu - FAILED, they worked for a very brief amount of time only to cease and never work again as a solution.

As a final note, I recall the slash typing issue to have begun right after my most recent Windows update, there might be a correlation as I’ve seen a lot of people reporting major issues occurring right after a new Windows Update.

I’m hoping for a knowledgeable response on this issue.

:)

VítorSantos1, Feb 20, 2020

2. shift key acting like it's stuck, ctrl and num keys don't work

Hi janieneh,

There's a possibility that the keyboard issue that you're experiencing may be due to having an outdated driver or could be a software conflict. However, there's also a chance that sticky keys may have been enabled on your laptop. Before we try to troubleshoot
    the software side, please try the following workarounds and see if one on the list addresses the problem:

• Turning off Sticky Keys.
      • If this feature is turned on, then have it turned off. Just navigate to
        Settings > Ease of access > Keyboard > Sticky Keys
        , then toggle it
        Off
    • Holding down both Shift keys.
      • Press and hold down both Shift keys at the same time for 4 to 5 seconds.
    • Perform full shutdown
      • To perform a full shutdown, click the Windows key > Power Icon > Shutdown. Once computer is off, press the power button to boot it up.
    Please let me know if the issue persists after performing the steps above by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 20, 2020
  3. KatJB Win User
    shift keys not working

I upgraded to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and then did the windows update and when I tried to do anything with the shift key neither one works. I read all the suggestions I could find in here and tried most of them with no luck. I ran the hardware
    and device troubleshooter, I went to the keyboard on control panel and it says it's working properly. I tried shift/control/alt keys all together. I downloaded and scanned with anti malware and I did the fn and del keys with no results. I would like an easy
    fix for this as I believe it is a windows 10 and or update for windows 10 issue. I am not real savvy on the computer so I need step by step instructions, please and thank you.

KatJB, Feb 20, 2020
  4. SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10

windows 10 key

Thanks but I don't want to do any decrypting. I want to download a Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and install it using my Win 8 key. No other steps required. Is that possible?

Easy Rhino, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10

1. SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - SHIFT KEY acts

2. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  3. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  4. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Shift key acting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key acting up: HI,My shift key is acting up. IT performs as if the sticky keys are on, but they are not. WHEn I press the shift key it remains on for several letters instead of only one although it is not pressed anymore. IF YOU see my typos here, you will understand what happens. If I MAKE...
  6. Shift key acting up

Shift key acting up: HI,My shift key is acting up. IT performs as if the sticky keys are on, but they are not. WHEn I press the shift key it remains on for several letters instead of only one although it is not pressed anymore. IF YOU see my typos here, you will understand what happens. If I MAKE...
  7. Shift key acting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key acting up: When i press my right shift key it adds a space like just pressing it and the left one adds a - and sometimes my keyboard randomly capitalise a letter without me pressing shift....
  8. Shift key acting up

Shift key acting up: When i press my right shift key it adds a space like just pressing it and the left one adds a - and sometimes my keyboard randomly capitalise a letter without me pressing shift....
  9. wINDOwS IS aCTInG LIKE THE SHIFt KEy IS StUCK But ITs NOt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wINDOwS IS aCTInG LIKE THE SHIFt KEy IS StUCK But ITs NOt: I DOnT HAVe REdDiT ON mY PHONE BUT IM noT SURe HOW TO FiX THIS AT All ALL ACCESSIBILitY SeTTINGS ARE OFF AND tHE ONLY wAY ThiS PROBLEM GeTS fIxEd iS IF I ShUt DoWN My COMPUTeR AND START It BACK UP bUT SOMeHOw IT aLWAyS COMES BACk PLEASE HeLP submitted by /u/braysu...
  10. Windows acts as if shift key is stuck

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows acts as if shift key is stuck: Hello. For the last year windows has acted as if the shift key is stuck. It activates seemingly randomly after around 30 minutes of usage, and only a restart will fix the issue. I've tried disabling sticky keys, switching keyboard, and completely resetting computer (all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my system windows is acting as if i am holding the shift key when selecting

2. shift key stuck windOws 10