Windows 10: Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks

Discus and support Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot find a way to have double quotation marks appear in MS word. I am running Windows 10 and have tried changing the language, gone into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TimkING7, Nov 17, 2019.

1. TimkING7 Win User

Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks

I cannot find a way to have double quotation marks appear in MS word. I am running Windows 10 and have tried changing the language, gone into the settings under auto-correct options and I still can't figure it out. Could someone please help.

:)

TimkING7, Nov 17, 2019

2. Quotation Marks Doubled

Suddenly, when in the middle of a document, my Word for Windows 10 started making two quotation marks, or two apostrophes, when I hit the key.

What did I do?

ErikChristiansen, Nov 17, 2019
  3. The apostrophe/quotation mark key isnt working.

Hi,

This issue has been going on for five days or so now. I originally thought it just disconnected and was acting up and so only the letters were working, but that it would just fix itself like it has done in the past, but now it has been interfering with work
    I'm trying to get done and it seems to be the only key not working. I went over the entire keyboard to double check.

I did both of those once before, two days ago, and the results were:

• On-screen keyboard - works perfectly fine on there.
    • Troubleshoot - reported that nothing was wrong.
    I just did this once more today after reading your suggestions:

• On-screen keyboard - works perfectly fine.
    • Troubleshoot - detected that I needed to restart my device, so I restarted it, logged back in and it is still not working.
    I just did the troubleshoot once more to see if anything else appears:

Both,

• Hardware and Device - Troubleshoot reported that it couldn't identify the problem.
    • Keyboard - Troubleshoot reported that no updates or changes were necessary.

Thank you for your help. I would really love to get this resolved. This is my 8th Surface Book, each time a new systematic issue that leads to me switching it out, and its becoming extremely frustrating.

TraumaSurgeon, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks

Keyboard substitutes quotation marks for the AT symbol ?

My AT symbol is above a single quotation mark within the body of the keyboard - next row under the qwerty line!

A double quotation mark is above the 2 !

Just thought I'd check your instructions are still valid in that case before I make any changes.....thank you

Contrary2011, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks

1. Shift key doesn`t change apostrophe to double quotation marks - Similar Threads - Shift key doesn`t

2. Apostrophe has shifted down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apostrophe has shifted down: I used to be able to write e.g. "six" and now for some reason it appears as „six“. How do I change that? I have tried all sorts of language settings, ctrl button, windows button, etc. but it won't budge. Utterly frustrating as I translate documents for a living and now I...
  3. Can't type quotation marks single or double

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't type quotation marks single or double: I am using US Qwerty keyboard and English United States language pack. I have tried adding international keyboard and removing US keyboard. I have changed to different languages. I currently have to copy and paste the quote marks into a document. I saw many other users...
  4. Have to double press quotation mark to get it printed

Have to double press quotation mark to get it printed: It is really annoying that I have to press quotation mark twice or press another key to get it printed on the screen. Please, advise how to change this annoying behaviour....
  5. Unable to type quotation mark “ properly

Unable to type quotation mark “ properly: I need to press the"key twice, in order to get it printed on screen or the"gets printed only when its followed by a character. Same is the case with ' key. I changed the keyboard setting to English Australia – United Kingdom and now when I press shift and “ I get the @ symbol...
  6. Can't type quotation marks (")

Can't type quotation marks ("): Hi, Normally when using US (International keyboard) settings, typing [ Shift + ' + Space ] gives you [ " ]. However, for me both typing [ ' + Space] and typing [ Shift + ' + Space ] all give me [ ' ]. In order to type a quotation mark, my only option is to type [ Shift + '...
  7. Duplicate quotation marks and parentheses

Duplicate quotation marks and parentheses: All of a sudden, when I want to put something in quotes or parentheses, I'm getting two back-to-back, which is making me crazy. I've noticed it mostly in browsers. It's extra work to have to back and move the cursor in between them to type. How do I disable this?...
  8. Apostrophe key changes keyboard layout.

Apostrophe key changes keyboard layout.: I live in Germany, and have been using a German hardware keyboard while typing due to a lack of ither options. However I generally use the UK layout due to familiarity. Recently however, I have noticed that whenever i press the ' key, which is depicted as the ä key on my...
  9. Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.: Hello everybody. First of all, I want to apologize for my English, is not my natural language. After a normal power off, my laptop didn`t run Windows normally and showed a blue screen saying "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. [...] Stop code:...
  10. Quotation Marks Doubled

Quotation Marks Doubled: Suddenly, when in the middle of a document, my Word for Windows 10 started making two quotation marks, or two apostrophes, when I hit the key. What did I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quotation-marks-doubled/587a1871-60d6-4f94-bbee-791895edd1e2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change keyboard so shift doesnt add apostrophes