Windows 10: Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for.

Discus and support Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I've had this issue for around 4 months now, and have been unable to solve it since discovering it. The shift key input on my keyboard becomes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChristopherMonaghan, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for.

Hello!
    I've had this issue for around 4 months now, and have been unable to solve it since discovering it.

The shift key input on my keyboard becomes stuck. Not physically stuck, but the input becomes stuck for a while after I release the key. I do not think this is a physical issue as all other keys function properly, and there is no wear/tear on the shift key itself.

There also seems to be a pattern for how long the input will be stuck for. After turning on the laptop, the shift key will function normally for a while. However, after using for a while, it begins to get stuck for a few moments after holding it down. Along with this, the longer I hold the key down, the longer it remains stuck. For example, if I hold it down for 20 seconds, it can get stuck for up to 15, which makes both gaming and typing extremely difficult. If I restart the laptop, this pattern resets, as the key will function properly once again for the few moments I get to use it.

I'm running Windows 10, and have reinstalled keyboard drivers, undergone troubleshooting, but to no avail. If anyone could help me out with this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

ChristopherMonaghan, Jul 12, 2018

2. Stuck shift key that made it impossible for me to log in to my windows account!

Hi all, I am using Windows 10 on my laptop and I couldn't log in to my account because the shift key is stuck and my password contains both alphabets and numbers. What i meant by stuck shift was, the Shift key is ALWAYS on as if I'm holding the Shift key.
    So when i type "abc123", it came out as "ABC!@#" and i tried using the On Screen Keyboard and it can only help me with the lower and upper keys but not the numbers. Therefore, i am stuck at the LOG IN page with the stuck shift key.. Help.. ):

Mmmininose, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Keyboard SHIFT Key

Hello ALL,

I have a little problem with my SHIFT key, this key turns on and off few of the functionalities of my mouse as scrolling, selecting items in game, where i cant "grab" the items etc. I have checked Sticky mode in settings its not ticked. Also holding for
    longer then 5 sec WASD buttons in game gets them stuck (character will continue to move in the chosen direction without pressing the buttons). Please help

EduardPonomarev, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for.

windows update stuck at installation screen and cannot get to desktop

Hi Sue,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Is the computer stuck in the Installing updates screen?
    • For how long is the computer stuck in the screen?
    • When was the computer last updated?
    • Is the screen showing any percentage of installation?

Sometimes the installation might take a long time to install if the update is of large size. So, I suggest you to wait for sometime and check if the system boots to the desktop. If it is taking a longer time, then perform a Power Drain by following the steps
    provided below:

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for.

1. Shift Key Input gets stuck. The longer I hold it, the longer it remains stuck for. - Similar Threads - Shift Key Input

2. Shift key stuck on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key stuck on: Had my laptop for a few years and never had any problems until now. Shift key turns itself on and I can only turn it off by restarting the laptop. Is there a quick fix for this? Fairly certain it’s not sticky keys...
  3. Shift key stuck on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key stuck on: Had my laptop for a few years and never had any problems until now. Shift key turns itself on and I can only turn it off by restarting the laptop. Is there a quick fix for this? Fairly certain it’s not sticky keys...
  4. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  5. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key stuck.: Hello there is one thing driving me insane.. my computer is acting like my keyboard is holding shift so whenever i click a link it sends me to a new window and I can’t scroll either and when i type numbers it is just symbols !@#.. I’ve tried turning sticky keys off and...
  6. Shift key stuck.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Stuck shift key, enter is disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck shift key, enter is disabled: Trying to quickly enter "?" into a program using <shift+/><enter><enter> Works for about 10 lines, then the enter key is disabled and the shift key is locked. Sticky keys have been disabled in control panel. The only way I've found to fix is to restart the laptop. Is there...
  8. Windows Key + Shift + S No longer works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Key + Shift + S No longer works: When I do this combination, my desktop comes up without Icons. I can take a snip of it.....but who wants to do that. Please help just did a update yesterday 5/22/2020 and it no longer works. When I do that keystrok, what comes up on my monitors I have 3 and all three the...
  9. Windows acts as if shift key is stuck

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows acts as if shift key is stuck: Hello. For the last year windows has acted as if the shift key is stuck. It activates seemingly randomly after around 30 minutes of usage, and only a restart will fix the issue. I've tried disabling sticky keys, switching keyboard, and completely resetting computer (all...
  10. windows/shift key "stuck"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows/shift key "stuck": hey guys, sometimes i have a strange ~ hotkey problem. its like my windows key is pressed all the time, but it actually isnt. so if i press any keys then, all the "hotkeys" get activated, like starting certain programs and stuff. it happens with shift aswell. i googled it...