Windows 10: Shift key not working when holding down a key

Discus and support Shift key not working when holding down a key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I got a new pc today and i realised i couldnt sprint properly in any games. I changed keyboards thinking that was the problem but I still wasnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Andeedew, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Andeedew Win User

Shift key not working when holding down a key

Hello,

I got a new pc today and i realised i couldnt sprint properly in any games. I changed keyboards thinking that was the problem but I still wasnt able to sprint.

When holding down a key and I press shift, the key i was holding will stop typing and nothing happens. I double tap shift (which sometimes works) and then the next keys will be an uppercase. or when i try get an uppercase letter, i hold shift and press the key once and it still wont work.

I reinstalled the drivers, turned off sticky keys.

If anyone could help me, that would be much appreciated!

:)

Andeedew, Aug 16, 2019
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Aug 16, 2019
  3. KatJB Win User
    shift keys not working

I upgraded to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and then did the windows update and when I tried to do anything with the shift key neither one works. I read all the suggestions I could find in here and tried most of them with no luck. I ran the hardware
    and device troubleshooter, I went to the keyboard on control panel and it says it's working properly. I tried shift/control/alt keys all together. I downloaded and scanned with anti malware and I did the fn and del keys with no results. I would like an easy
    fix for this as I believe it is a windows 10 and or update for windows 10 issue. I am not real savvy on the computer so I need step by step instructions, please and thank you.

KatJB, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Shift key not working when holding down a key

shift key acting like it's stuck, ctrl and num keys don't work

Hi janieneh,

There's a possibility that the keyboard issue that you're experiencing may be due to having an outdated driver or could be a software conflict. However, there's also a chance that sticky keys may have been enabled on your laptop. Before we try to troubleshoot
    the software side, please try the following workarounds and see if one on the list addresses the problem:

• Turning off Sticky Keys.
      • If this feature is turned on, then have it turned off. Just navigate to
        Settings > Ease of access > Keyboard > Sticky Keys
        , then toggle it
        Off
    • Holding down both Shift keys.
      • Press and hold down both Shift keys at the same time for 4 to 5 seconds.
    • Perform full shutdown
      • To perform a full shutdown, click the Windows key > Power Icon > Shutdown. Once computer is off, press the power button to boot it up.
    Please let me know if the issue persists after performing the steps above by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

Shift key not working when holding down a key

1. Shift key not working when holding down a key - Similar Threads - Shift key working

2. Keyboard Shift key holding down will not Capitize Letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Shift key holding down will not Capitize Letters: Bedore I Trash my wireless Keyboard....I thought it best to Post the issue here in case there is a Fix to what I Broke...let me Explain.I was cleaning my wireless Keyboard and while doing so I push many buttons...some I am sure by themselves, others times Multipile keyboard...
  3. Keyboard Shift key holding down will not Capitize Letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Shift key holding down will not Capitize Letters: Bedore I Trash my wireless Keyboard....I thought it best to Post the issue here in case there is a Fix to what I Broke...let me Explain.I was cleaning my wireless Keyboard and while doing so I push many buttons...some I am sure by themselves, others times Multipile keyboard...
  4. Keyboard Shift key holding down will not Capitize Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...: I've found that the dash doesn't work with the virtual keyboard either. To fix that I tried:remove the driver and restartkeyboard troubleshooter...
  6. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...: I've found that the dash doesn't work with the virtual keyboard either. To fix that I tried:remove the driver and restartkeyboard troubleshooter...
  7. The keyboard hyphen key - is not registered. However, if you hold down the Shift key, the...

8. Trackpad doesn't work when holding a key down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trackpad doesn't work when holding a key down: For some reason, whenever I type or hold a key down on my laptop, my trackpad isn't usable until I let go of the key. Normally this isn't that big of a deal, but it makes it basically impossible to play games if where the trackpad and keys are both involved. Any idea if...
  9. Keyboard holding down keys (not physically) when I hold down the key for a several seconds.

Keyboard holding down keys (not physically) when I hold down the key for a several seconds.: For the past couple of months, as described in the title, I have been getting an issue on my Laptop with my keyboard that holds down a key (not physically) after I have held it down for several seconds. I first noticed this when I was playing Minecraft where after holding...
  10. Mouse not working when holding down a key

Mouse not working when holding down a key: I have three mice that all have this same problem, so I think this is a fault on my laptop (this also happens with the touchpad). Whenever I hold down a key for some reason, laptop will not register any right/left clicks. I've tried restarting, updating the drivers and I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift key not