Windows 10: shift key pt. 2

Discus and support shift key pt. 2 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Shift key, ctrl, and alt all make my keyboard weird. I turned off windows hotkeys and the xbox gamebar and uninstalled all the programs that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kik5, Jun 10, 2020.

1. kik5 Win User

shift key pt. 2

Shift key, ctrl, and alt all make my keyboard weird. I turned off windows hotkeys and the xbox gamebar and uninstalled all the programs that the keyboard opened. When I try to use some solutions, I am unable to type and only able to use some hotkey shortcuts like esc which puts me in another tab. The only solution that has worked for me so far is slamming the entire keyboard and hope it's fixed. Sometimes it makes things worse. It makes backspace erase entire words and makes the A key highlight all letters. When I first press shift now, the D key opens calendar. It also makes my ctrl key stuck making me type whatever i had copied everytime I press V. Sometimes it also makes me unable to type C,V, and H. The Z key acts like normal backspace but it also highlights like the A key.

:)

2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Jun 10, 2020
  3. KatJB Win User
    shift keys not working

I upgraded to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and then did the windows update and when I tried to do anything with the shift key neither one works. I read all the suggestions I could find in here and tried most of them with no luck. I ran the hardware
    and device troubleshooter, I went to the keyboard on control panel and it says it's working properly. I tried shift/control/alt keys all together. I downloaded and scanned with anti malware and I did the fn and del keys with no results. I would like an easy
    fix for this as I believe it is a windows 10 and or update for windows 10 issue. I am not real savvy on the computer so I need step by step instructions, please and thank you.

KatJB, Jun 10, 2020
  4. shift key pt. 2

SHIFT KEY WINDOWS TEN

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: Safe Mode.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs
    conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the below steps:

• At the login screen, click the Power button and press
      Restart
      by holding down the Shift key on the keyboard.
    • When the computer restarts, click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced options and then Startup Settings.
    • Now click Restart. Press F4 on the keyboard to select and boot into
      Safe Mode.

Step 2: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

• Click on Troubleshooting in the search results.

• Click on Hardware and Sound and select
        Hardware and Devices and click on Next to run the troubleshooter.

Also, refer: Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

shift key pt. 2

1. shift key pt. 2 - Similar Threads - shift key

2. Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case: An earlier closed discussion of this problem reached no solution.Situation: Windows 10 Home Asus Zenbook Flip 15Problem: Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case; it produces nothing, not even a space The problem occurs with either SHIFT key All other capital letters print...
  3. Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case: An earlier closed discussion of this problem reached no solution.Situation: Windows 10 Home Asus Zenbook Flip 15Problem: Shift + C key is not typing C in upper case; it produces nothing, not even a space The problem occurs with either SHIFT key All other capital letters print...
  4. Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?: It's not a hardware issue as whenever I restart my pc they start working again but only for some time then they stop working again. They work perfectly for some time after pc restart, but then stop working all together. I've tried reinstalling/updating drivers, turning...
  5. Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?

Both of my shift keys are not working. How to fix them?: It's not a hardware issue as whenever I restart my pc they start working again but only for some time then they stop working again. They work perfectly for some time after pc restart, but then stop working all together. I've tried reinstalling/updating drivers, turning...
  6. Unable to put accent on vowels written via shift key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to put accent on vowels written via shift key: Hi, I am using German keyboard layout for day-to-day tasks and I am unable to put accents on vowels written while shift is pressed.I was able to write them previously but I just recently noticed that I am not able to.How to replicate the issue: 1 Use German keyboard layout2...
  7. Unable to put accent on vowels written via shift key

Unable to put accent on vowels written via shift key: Hi, I am using German keyboard layout for day-to-day tasks and I am unable to put accents on vowels written while shift is pressed.I was able to write them previously but I just recently noticed that I am not able to.How to replicate the issue: 1 Use German keyboard layout2...
  8. Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...: When I attempt to press Shift along with any of the keys 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', or 'b' while typing in a document using software like Word or Notepad, or when filling out forms in a web browser, these combinations do not seem to function correctly. I need assistance in resolving...
  9. Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...

Experiencing issues with Shift key combinations 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', 'b' in Windows 11 while...: When I attempt to press Shift along with any of the keys 'w', 'e', 'u', 'i', or 'b' while typing in a document using software like Word or Notepad, or when filling out forms in a web browser, these combinations do not seem to function correctly. I need assistance in resolving...
  10. Wrong shift keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong shift keys: Hello,my keyboard keeps on giving me wrong shift keys.I have tried to set the language to EnglishUK and English US but hasn't worked.It has a " on top of 2 and @ on the bottom right side of 2.It has # on top of 3,and £ on bottom right side of 3.Please help...