Windows 10: Shift keys not working

Discus and support Shift keys not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well, like the subject says both shift keys stopped working at the same time. I have tried with the usual checking of the keyboard settings and even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FranciscoValderrama, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Shift keys not working

Well, like the subject says both shift keys stopped working at the same time. I have tried with the usual checking of the keyboard settings and even with a factory reset and stuff keeps being the same. I am running out of options now, what could I do to get them working again'

:)

FranciscoValderrama, Mar 9, 2021
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Mar 9, 2021
  3. KatJB Win User
    shift keys not working

I upgraded to windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and then did the windows update and when I tried to do anything with the shift key neither one works. I read all the suggestions I could find in here and tried most of them with no luck. I ran the hardware
    and device troubleshooter, I went to the keyboard on control panel and it says it's working properly. I tried shift/control/alt keys all together. I downloaded and scanned with anti malware and I did the fn and del keys with no results. I would like an easy
    fix for this as I believe it is a windows 10 and or update for windows 10 issue. I am not real savvy on the computer so I need step by step instructions, please and thank you.

KatJB, Mar 9, 2021
  4. m3110w Win User

Shift keys not working

HP Pavilion 15-ab030tx . Shift-quote key combo not working (Windows 10

Thanks for your reply.

I am pressing them together, even though it doesn't appear on the Kybd Event Viewer screenshot. Both shift keys are working normally with other keys. But for some reason neither shift key works with the single-quote key.

I did try Sticky Keys and it works! The double quote character appears when I use it. However, it works for ALL keys, which isn't good for me; I'd have to totally change my typing patterns. I only want it to work with the single-quote key, and I don't think that's possible. The ShortKeys solution works well.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Cheers,

m3110w, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Shift keys not working

1. Shift keys not working - Similar Threads - Shift keys working

2. shift key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key not working: whenever i press shift to capitalise a letter, its types out a random series of symbols then rstarts my laptop this is what is typed before it shuts off . /.MZC<Xdoes anyone know how to fix this...
  3. shift key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shift key not working: Left shift key not working on my keyboard and sometimes it will suddenly work without even pressing it. Its hard to compose email if it is continuesly like this. I have desktop computer...
  4. shift key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key not working: Left shift key not working on my keyboard and sometimes it will suddenly work without even pressing it. Its hard to compose email if it is continuesly like this. I have desktop computer...
  5. Shift + a key not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Shift + a key not working: Shift works with all other keys except 'a'. I can capitalize with caps lock to 'A' but cannot hit shift to capitalize 'a'. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shift-a-key-not-working/b1df4c52-cce2-4958-b41b-0d1e8b2cd9bd
  6. shift keys not working

shift keys not working: hi this is asked before but i couldn't find an answer. for past couple of weeks Both shift keys on my laptop stopped working, although if I press them for long enough or on and off several times then they suddenly start to work, and will continue working for the most part...
  7. shift key not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    shift key not working: both of my shift key are not working on my windows 10, i don't have sticky keys on. help me i need it to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shift-key-not-working/e1037872-3bdf-4bc8-8cb0-bb090affbddb
  8. Shift + A Key is not working

Shift + A Key is not working: My keyboard works fine except when hitting Shift + a. I can hit the Caps Lock key to get a capital “A” and lower case “a” works just fine too, butShift+ a not giving me anything. All of my other keys work and shift plus any of those keys work, just not Shift +A. Anyone...
  9. shift key is not working

shift key is not working: good day , my shift keys are not working at all, i have tried to deactivate the sticky, toggle keys but still they won't work. Also I have went to the device manager that update the keyboard/mouse [ps2] drivers still they won't work. What should I do to resolve the problem,...
  10. Shift key is not working

Shift key is not working: The shift key in my keyboard is not working. Please someone clarify what needs to be done https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shift-key-is-not-working/af13334d-c324-45fb-a7ec-c98c1901f231