Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; FWIW, I have the same problem as RichStone -- there's a thin, pale outline of a transparent square where the icon would be. Does changing the size of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Lixun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Does changing the size of the icons help?

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  2. wpcoe Win User

Where is the setting to change icon sizes? *Redface

Ooops. Found the setting. The icon size changes, but the faint outline of the overlay remains the same size.

[Edited yet again to add:]

Just noticed that the overlay outline only seems to appear for shortcut icons on the desktop.

The following icons on the desktop do NOT have the outlay outline:
    - Recycle Bin
    - some .mp4 files actually residing on desktop
    - file folders actually residing on desktop

The following icons DO have the outlay outline:
    - shortcuts to folder on another diver
    - URL shortcuts
    - shortcuts to apps (.exe files) on other drives

I'm going to bed before I make any more embarrassing posts. LOL!

wpcoe, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    LOL, no worries mate. *Smile

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  4. pigasus Win User

I had the same problem, so I tried a solution that had been suggested for previous versions of Windows. It seems to work.

In regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile. In the right column, change lsShortcut to XlsShortcut.

Sally

pigasus, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sally, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Yep, the tutorial has been updated for that. Thank you. *Smile

Brink, Aug 4, 2015
  6. jedy48 Win User
    tanks for arrow options *Smile

jedy48, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Jedy, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  8. jedy48 Win User

thanks, I'm honored to be here, excuse the language but use a translator*Smile

jedy48, Aug 5, 2015
  9. wpcoe Win User
    Color me confused, yet again.

Where is the lsShortcut that is supposed be changed to XlsShortcut?

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

The updated Remove_shortcut_overlay.reg file contains:[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
    "IsShortcut"=-
    Isn't that an uppercase "I" vs the lower case "l" that Sally used, and how does it insert the XlsShortcut value?

wpcoe, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's not needed since it was only to rename the value to make it invalid. I prefer to remove it than leave an invalid key. If you use the .reg to restore or use another shortcut arrow, it will be restored.

The case doesn't matter.

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  11. wpcoe Win User
    Granted, but doesn't the letter itself matter? The .reg file has an uppercase I (pronounced "eye") but Sally used a lowercase l (pronounced "el")

The .reg file aims to remove the value, but isn't Sally saying to change it to XlsShortcut?

But, in what key is that lsShortcut supposed to appear? I'd like to try using the XlsShortcut, but don't know where she has it in her Registry.

wpcoe, Aug 5, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's suppose to be an uppercase I (eye) in IsShortcut. It just looks like an (el) in the post here.

Both methods serve the same purpose. I just prefer to remove the IsShortcut string value instead of renaming it. It's a cleaner way of doing it.

The IsShortcut sting value is located here below by default.

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  13. wpcoe Win User

Aha! If you cut-and-paste from Sally's post and paste it someplace where you can change the font to a serif font, it's clear she used an "el." Easy mistake!

Now, this is peculiar:

I added the IsShortcut string back in and we're where we started:

However, deleting the IsShortcut string and the square outline of the arrow overlay area is removed for *some* of the shortcuts, but not all:

The bottom row are shorcuts for: File Explorer, \\yoga (network shortcut), and two program (.exe) files.

The top row are two .url shortcuts, i.e. I right-clicked on the desktop, chose New > Shortcut and copy and pasted the URL from two tenforums.com threads and gave them titles.

The icon image for the .url shortcuts seems to be the same icon image for the program shortcut on the bottom row, but the .url shortcuts still have the square outline. *Confused

PS: I changed the icon on the .url shortcuts and the square box outline remains. It's something about a property of .url shortcuts?

wpcoe, Aug 5, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Use the new .reg file to restore the default shortcut arrow, then try again. *Smile

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  15. wpcoe Win User
    I downloaded Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg, merged it into the Registry, rebooted and -- voila! -- the default shortcut arrows were back on all the shortcuts, as expected.

Then I downloaded Remove_shortcut_overlay.reg, merged it into the Registry and:

Then I went into the Registry manually to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons and added the 29 string with the value %windir%\System32\imageres.dll,-17 and we're back to:

wpcoe, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shortcut Arrow Icon

2. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  3. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square): Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black...
  4. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  5. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing or changing shortcut arrows: I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial. It worked like a charm and for...
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. refres thesystem shortcot pale sihtem