Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 How to Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Lixun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Lixun Win User

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

How to: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

How to Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon in Windows 10

A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. You can create shortcuts and then place them in a convenient location, such as on the desktop, so that you can easily access the item that the shortcut links to. Shortcuts can be distinguished from the original file by the arrow that appears overlayed on the icon.

This tutorial will show you how to change, remove, or restore the default shortcut arrow overlay on all shortcut icons for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the shortcut arrow icon.

*note If you have a custom .ico file you would like to share, then please feel free to upload and post it here. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 :)

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow using a REG file
    1. Do step 2 (remove arrow), step 3 (default arrow), step 4 (classic arrow), step 5 (large arrow), step 6 (small down arrow), or step 7 (large down arrow) below for what icon you want for a shortcut overlay.

2. To Remove Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file you want to use below, and go to step 8 below.

(transparent with outline)
    Transparent_outline_shortcut_overlay.reg

Download

OR

(transparent - see TIP box below to get transparent.ico file)
    Transparent_shortcut_overlay.reg

Download

OR

(blank - see TIP box below to get blank.ico file)
    Blank_shortcut_overlay.reg

Download

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Tip If you downloaded the Transparent_shortcut_overlay.reg or Blank_shortcut_overlay.reg file above, you will also need to download the transparent.ico (48x48 pixel) or Blank.ico (24x24 pixel) icon file.

You will then need to unblock the downloaded transparent.ico or Blank.ico file, and move it into the "C:\Windows\System32" folder.

3. To Restore Default Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 8 below.

Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg

Download

4. To Change Shortcut Overlay to Classic Arrow Icon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 8 below.

Classic_shortcut_arrow.reg

Download

5. To Change Shortcut Overlay to Large Arrow Icon

Large_shortcut_arrow.reg

Download

6. To Change Shortcut Overlay to Small Down Arrow Icon

Small_down_arrow.reg

Download

7. To Change Shortcut Overlay to Large Down Arrow Icon

Large_down_arrow.reg

Download

8. Save the .reg file to your Desktop.

9. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

10. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

11. Restart explorer to apply.

Note If the shortcut overlay icon shows as a solid black square, then restart the computer to apply instead.

12. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow in Registry Editor
    1. Download and merge the .reg file in step 3 of OPTION ONE above to reset the registry back to default before getting started below.

2. Open search (Win+Q) on your Start menu or taskbar, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have the Shell Icons key, then right click or press and hold on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type Shell Icons for the name, and press Enter.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

5. In the right pane of Shell Icons, double click/tap on the 29 string value to modify it.

Note If you do not have the 29 string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type 29 for the name, and press Enter.

If you want to restore the default shortcut arrow overlay icon, then delete the 29 string value.

6. Type in the full path of your custom .ico file within quotes, OR copy and paste the data value in the table below for what overlay icon you would like to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Tip If you like, you can download the transparent.ico (48x48 pixel) or Blank.ico (24x24 pixel) icon file that doesn't have an outline.

For the best results, unblock the downloaded transparent.ico or Blank.ico file, and move it into the "C:\Windows\System32" folder.

[table][tr][td]Shortcut Overlay Icon[/td] [td]Data value[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Transparent with outline[/td] [td](leave value blank) OR %windir%\System32\imageres.dll,-17 OR (If used downloaded .ico file above) %windir%\System32\transparent.ico %windir%\System32\Blank.ico[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG] (classic)[/td] [td]%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-30[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG] (large arrow)[/td] [td]%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-16769[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG] (small down arrow)[/td] [td]%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-232[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG] (large down arrow)[/td] [td]%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-231[/td] [/tr] [/table]

7. Restart explorer to apply.

Note If the shortcut overlay icon shows as a solid black square, then restart the computer to apply instead.

8. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Lixun, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Bruce Hagen, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Martmcd, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Lixun, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'll add it to my list, and will let you know if/when I get one made for it. *Smile

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  5. RichStone Win User
    Brink, thanks for these great downloads. They're very useful and I'm storing them in a folder for future use in case I need them.

You refer to a black solid square in your post. I'm not sure if that's what I'm getting now I've removed the arrow but on every shortcut icon I can now see a very thin pale square the size of the whole icon that seems to be in the background and it does seem to be transparent. Even after restarting my PC, it is still there. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Rich

RichStone, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  7. RichStone Win User
    Here you go. It's quite clear on the small icons so I've left my desktop as it is.

RichStone, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ah, ok. It's from the icon you referenced not supporting that size properly. Selecting a different icon that does, or using medium icons view should sort it.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  9. RichStone Win User
    I've now tried medium and large icons and it's still there, although the box remains the same size...

I used the download you provided to set the clear icon so I'm not sure where I could find another that's suitable.

RichStone, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    As a test, how do the other arrow options in the tutorial work for you?

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  11. RichStone Win User
    The other arrow options work perfectly!

RichStone, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok good. That helps to confirm that it's just an issue with the other selected icons you used.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Is there any progress on a fix for the remove shortcut arrow registry entry? That little square that is left is annoying so I have to stick with the shortcut arrow for now.

tomnook123, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Tom, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Other than using medium icons size on your desktop, not yet for the transparent (remove) icon.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  15. wpcoe Win User
    FWIW, I have the same problem as RichStone -- there's a thin, pale outline of a transparent square where the overlay would be.

wpcoe, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shortcut Arrow Icon

2. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  3. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square): Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black...
  4. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  5. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing or changing shortcut arrows: I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial. It worked like a charm and for...
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change shortcut arrow windows 10

2. remove shortcut icon arrow windows 10

3. remove or restore windows 10 shortcut arrows