Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Our last two posts were almost simultaneous. I hadn't tried your update from post #42 yet. I *have* now tried your update from post #42, and it still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Lixun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. wpcoe Win User

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Our last two posts were almost simultaneous. I hadn't tried your update from post #42 yet. I *have* now tried your update from post #42, and it still leaves the shortcut arrows on the .url shortcuts. To be clear, the addition from post #43 is needed.

wpcoe, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

LOL, yep. Ok. It's updated again now.

Thank you for testing. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Following tips earlier in this thread, I successfully removed the shortcut arrows using ShellFolderFix64 and everything was fine. Set a new Restore Point. Rebooted. All fine.

Next day from cold start, as I watched screen, all icons came up fine for a few seconds, then abruptly all changed to solid black boxes. JPG attached (I hope).

I'm puzzled. Anyone have a great idea on how to get back the correct icons on my Win10 Home screens (twin monitors)?

Florida Rene, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Rene, *Smile

Since you used a 3rd party program instead of the method in this tutorial, you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before you made the change if the program's restore/undo feature doesn't fix it.

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  5. yammo Win User
    Thank you...it worked perfectly!

yammo, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Thank you, Brink. Icons have now been restored, WITH the shortcut arrows. I'm not a pro at this manipulations, so I'll have to try again. Which of the arrow removal procedures is the safest and surest for a neophyte to try?

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome Rene.

The download in step 2 of OPTION ONE in this tutorial works well. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

It worked! Thank you!

It did not catch 3 shortcut arrows on the left monitor and 4 on the right monitor, but it got all the others.

I'm going to set a new restore point, then shut down, then start cold...and perhaps that will get the others. Thanks again.

9. Okay, Brink...

I shut down, started cold, and all came up okay. Now there are 6 remaining shortcut arrows on the left monitor and still 4 on the right.

I can live with that.

Thank you for your assistance.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If it doesn't remove them after a restart, then please let me know what file types they are for the ones that didn't change.

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  11. They are all "Pinned Site Shortcut".

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It should have gotten URL shortcuts on your desktop.

Could you please post a screenshot of them?

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  13. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Gladly.

Hopefully these JPG files will upload: 3 images from Washington Post and 1 from Ten Forums

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

14. wpcoe Win User
    Uh, oh. There's trouble in River City...

Using the .reg hack from OPTION ONE to remove the arrow overlay on shortcuts has some nasty side-effects:

It disables WinX (displaying the Power Menu via the <"Windows Key"+X> or <right-clicking> on the Start icon in the taskbar.)

But, wait, there's more!

On my notebook (clean install of Win10 Home x64), but not on my desktop (upgrade from Win8.1 Pro x64 to Win10 Pro x64) it also prevents pinning shortcuts to the taskbar. I can drag an icon to the taskbar and the "pin to taskbar" pop appears at the cursor, but the icon never gets pinned.

However, the good news is that the alternate method of removing the arrow overlays -- using the Blank.ico file -- doesn't interfere with either WinX or pinning shortcuts to the taskbar.

Maybe it's something unique to my systems?

wpcoe, Aug 7, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok. We're just going to go back to the transparent icon method that will work without any side effects other than a transparent outline on the overlay with large icons on desktop.

Brink, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shortcut Arrow Icon

2. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  3. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square): Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black...
  4. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  5. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing or changing shortcut arrows: I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial. It worked like a charm and for...
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windoow shortcut arrow removal progam