Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Try re-downloading the .reg file from Option One. It was updated to allow pinning icons to the taskbar. There's a note under Option 2: "If you do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Lixun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. wpcoe Win User

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Try re-downloading the .reg file from Option One. It was updated to allow pinning icons to the taskbar.

There's a note under Option 2:

"If you do not have the Shell Icons key, then right click or press and hold on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type Shell Icons for the name, and press Enter."

wpcoe, Aug 9, 2015
  2. pomak249 Win User

Thanks m8 i musta missed all this somehow - doh LOL

pomak249, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad you got it sorted Pormak, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Aug 9, 2015
  4. ACE
    Ace Win User

If anyone tried Brink's solutions but still hasn't been able to get rid of the transparent squares, try using

as the data value for 29 instead. This fixed the issue for me beautifully.

Thanks to all those who have been updating this thread.

5. ACE
    Ace Win User
    Followup: found the culprit for the transparent square issue. Both the registry edit and the direct fix in the OP use a resource from imagres.dll in System 32. I went into that file and found this at imageres.dll,-17:

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Emphasis mine.

The bad news is that both solutions in the OP are drawing from that resource, which is definitely not a transparent image. So I think that everybody who's used either solution will have the transparent squares, whether they've noticed them or not.

The good news is that it's only using the wrong image, not screwing with anything deeper, so the fix is simple. imageres.dll doesn't have any completely transparent images - just a few ones that are passable at first glance - so you have to go into shell32.dll, where the other shortcut icons are located. Anything between %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50 and shell32.dll-53 is transparent and will work. You can also use any of the other .ico files located there.

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Soothing trees, to calm my wrath after dealing with this thing.

6. shell32.dll,-50 shell32.dll,-51 shell32.dll,-52 aren't transparent for me. they're images or printers or such. I guess I'll just use a custom blank .ico.

edit: I'm stupid, I was using imageres.dll instead of shell32.dll values

najodleglejszy, Aug 12, 2015
  7. pomak249 Win User
    Hi All,

Still doesnt work for me ? I tried the new .reg file but it still stops me pinning icons to the taskbar ? Also tried the reg addition ....shell32.dll etc (incidently I have a shell icons folder in my registry now?) which worked for a while but then after a recent restart I had black boxes where the shortcut arrows should have been!

Guess I'll just stick with the arrows

Mick

pomak249, Aug 13, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Mick, *Smile

Did you restart the PC afterwards to fully apply to see how it works then?

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  9. bobfrost Win User
    Just tried all your variations, Brink, but the only thing that worked was Ace's suggestion of changing the shell icons entry to shell32.dll,-50

That seems to work with the minimum alterations to the registry.

Bob Frost

bobfrost, Aug 13, 2015
  10. bobfrost Win User
    Aaaagh!! OK after one reboot, but after a second or third, I get black squares.*Mad

bobfrost, Aug 13, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, that's why I left the tutorial to use the transparent icon with outline for now. *Sad

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  12. wpcoe Win User
    Not to be nitpicky ("But you are, Blanche, you ARE!") but you don't need to reboot to apply the changes, you can just sign out (<Winkey+x>, <u>, <enter>) and sign back on. Can save time if you are doing a lot of experimenting and testing different Registry changes.

wpcoe, Aug 14, 2015
  13. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

For safety sake...I make a new Restore Point before making the changes, another new immediately after, and then ShutDown/Cold Start to allow everything to come up with a clean memory.

Am I wrong in this?

Florida Rene, Aug 14, 2015
  14. ACE
    Ace Win User
    For me, the black squares are present for a while after booting (5 minutes?) but then go away.
    If that doesn't happen, try restarting File Explorer after a little bit.

Edit: Just tested, and squares persist for about 90 seconds after logging in (on my slow laptop) before disappearing.. You might just have to wait for a while.

15. ACE
    Ace Win User
    Can you state this in the tutorial?

Thema:

1. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shortcut Arrow Icon

2. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  3. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square): Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black...
  4. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  5. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing or changing shortcut arrows: I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial. It worked like a charm and for...
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....