Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

Discus and support Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Can you state this in the tutorial? That posted icon causing the black icons for some is not in the tutorial. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Lixun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

That posted icon causing the black icons for some is not in the tutorial.

Brink, Aug 16, 2015
  2. FortFun Win User

I discovered that after running the reg file to remove the shortcut arrow completely I couldn't pin programs to the taskbar. After restoring the default arrow I could. Strange!

FortFun, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello FortFun, and welcome to Ten Forums.

That was a bug from the old .reg files. They have since been updated, and no longer have that issue if you would like to try them again. *Smile

Brink, Aug 16, 2015
  4. FortFun Win User

Thanks Brink, I will redownload and try again. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll post with my outcome.

FortFun, Aug 16, 2015
  5. FortFun Win User
    I downloaded the re-ran the reg file but the arrows remained. However, all is not lost. I followed your tutorial and manually edited the registry (had to add the "Shell Icons" entry) and arrows are gone and I can still pin! Thanks!*Smile

FortFun, Aug 17, 2015
  6. ACE
    Ace Win User
    Sorry Brink, should have clarified. I meant mentioning in the tutorial that Options 1 and 2 will cause the outline to appear, so people don't have to dig through this thread.

7. sanorin Win User
    Same thing happened to me. Option two would leave a small "transparent" square outline inside the icons:

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Option one will remove the outline, but cannot pin programs to taskbar.

Is there any solutions to have icons with no arrow and no outline, and still be able to pin programs to taskbar? Can you at least mention this issue in the first post?

Thanks!

sanorin, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Sanorin,

That was a bug from the old .reg files in OPTION ONE. They have since been updated, and no longer have that issue if you would like to try them again. *Smile

Brink, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Same transparent square thingy here. Tried 1st option, then 2nd, then 1st again, this thing appeared on all 3 tries

Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Gerottinho, Aug 19, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, that's what is posted in the tutorial "transparent with outline". *Smile

11. That means I'll just have to deal with it? xD

Gerottinho, Aug 19, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Of course not. That's just what the tutorial has included, but you can use any custom icon you like instead. I just haven't found a transparent icon included in Windows that doesn't have an outline yet. *Sad

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Shortcut Arrow Icon

2. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  3. Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove shortcut arrow icons (corrupts to black square): Hiya everyone, I have a problem. I've been trying to get rid of the shortcut arrow icons for over 2 weeks now and no matter what I do they keep corrupting to a black square. Sometimes it works, and the icon is just gone, but it's 50/50 (actually 75/25) whether the black...
  4. shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal

shortcut dbl-arrow icon removal: recently a large blue dbl-arrow icon is in front of my fie names. How can I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-dbl-arrow-icon-removal/8049002f-fb9c-411b-83d6-bde2468d087e
  5. Removing or changing shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing or changing shortcut arrows: I removed the arrow icons that you normally see on desktop shortcuts, by using the Registry Editor. I went all the way down to Explorer -> Shell Icons and made a new string in which I pasted a certain line that I got from a Youtube tutorial. It worked like a charm and for...
  6. Remove arrows from shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove arrows from shortcuts: Hello Forum, On my previous system (1709) I removed the annoying arrows from desktop shortcuts using instructions given here "How to get rid of app shortcut arrows on the Windows 10 desktop | Windows Central". Tried this on the upgraded system (1803), all desktop icons became...
  7. Remove shortcut arrows

Remove shortcut arrows: How do we remove those desktop shortcut arrows? Is there a quick way w/o digging into the registry? I don't see it in the latest UWT. Thanks *Wink 113829
  8. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  9. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  10. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression....