Windows 10: Shortcut changing position after renaming

Discus and support Shortcut changing position after renaming in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CuongTranTobiez, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Shortcut changing position after renaming

I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename that new shortcut, I have to right-click to refresh because the new shortcut is replacing my current google shortcut

:)

CuongTranTobiez, Mar 14, 2022

2. Symlink shortcut changes when folder renamed

Hi Toaster Ghost Burns Bread,

I have recreated your concern by going through these steps. Please let me know if we are on the same understanding about the issue:

1. On the Start menu, I typed %appdata% and then hit
      Enter.
    2. I created a folder under AppData and named it Test.
    3. Right-clicked the newly created folder and select Sent to > Desktop (create a shortcut) to create a shortcut.
    4. Renamed the folder to Test2.
    5. Go to the desktop. Double-clicked the shortcut and it was able to locate the renamed folder. (This is working as designed).

Just to clarify, do you want the shortcut folder to not be able to open/locate the folder when you renamed it?

We look forward to your response.

Monica Cam, Mar 14, 2022
  3. Snixtor Win User
    False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Mar 14, 2022
  4. Shortcut changing position after renaming

Symlink shortcut changes when folder renamed

Win7 shortcut to a folder %appdata%\test changes to the new folder name when test is changed.

This is great, except when you rename test to "test_bad" and make a new one, now your shortcut is pointing to the bad folder.

Win10 shortcut to folder %apdata%\test changes to a DIFFERENT FOLDER if test is renamed.

This is horrific coding by m$, a downright stupid overlord.

When a folder changes, any soft links to the folder should NOT be changed by default. This behavior should be an optin-in and probably per-link.

There's a way to fix it, a hack of some sort that I found a long time ago.

Does anyone remember?

Toaster Ghost Burns Bread, Mar 14, 2022
Thema:

Shortcut changing position after renaming

1. Shortcut changing position after renaming - Similar Threads - Shortcut changing position

2. Rename Shortcut Setting Modification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename Shortcut Setting Modification: The windows rename shortcut setting is changed: For example, the rename shortcut is M, but you want to change it to F2 to rename a file or folder. Currently, folders can be renamed with the F2 shortcut, but the shortcut for desktop files is not F2, so I would like to change...
  3. Rename Shortcut Setting Modification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename Shortcut Setting Modification: The windows rename shortcut setting is changed: For example, the rename shortcut is M, but you want to change it to F2 to rename a file or folder. Currently, folders can be renamed with the F2 shortcut, but the shortcut for desktop files is not F2, so I would like to change...
  4. Suddenly,all my app icons and shortcuts changed positions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly,all my app icons and shortcuts changed positions.: I have 2 monitors,one on my laptop,and one on the right which is added.I just came home and turned on my PC,then I saw all the icons from the right monitor,went onto my main one,and now when I move one icon,another moves.Any help?...
  5. Suddenly,all my app icons and shortcuts changed positions.

Suddenly,all my app icons and shortcuts changed positions.: I have 2 monitors,one on my laptop,and one on the right which is added.I just came home and turned on my PC,then I saw all the icons from the right monitor,went onto my main one,and now when I move one icon,another moves.Any help?...
  6. Suddenly,all my app icons and shortcuts changed positions.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Shortcut changing position after renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut changing position after renaming: I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename that new shortcut, I have to right-click to refresh because the new shortcut is replacing my current google shortcut...
  8. Shortcut changing position after renaming

Shortcut changing position after renaming: I created a shortcut of a shortcut from google on the desktop so that I can change the target to a specific website of that google, but when I rename that new shortcut, I have to right-click to refresh because the new shortcut is replacing my current google shortcut...
  9. Automatic Shortcut Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatic Shortcut Rename: Whenever I name some shortcut with name "Control Panel" it automatically shows as "Ovládací Panely" as it's a translate of the name to a language, I use with Windows. Is there any way to turn off this automatical file renaming?...
  10. Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching...: I have 2 displays in extended configuration windows 10 pro. 1080p display in 100% scaling and 4K display in 150% scaling. Auto arrange icons is disabled. The setup is new. Used to only have the 1080p display but I had the same issue a long time ago. I fixed it a while ago...