Windows 10: Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive

Discus and support Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys, This is a little complicated I think. My C Driver is a 250GB SSD while my E Drive is a 500GB HDD. If I transfer folder from C onto E can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JimObasa55, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive

Hi guys,

This is a little complicated I think.

My C Driver is a 250GB SSD while my E Drive is a 500GB HDD.

If I transfer folder from C onto E can I then create a shortcut for that folder to appear on C's desktop

I am using the SSD for Windows 10 Professional while the HDD remains totally empty.

Assuming the answer to my question is YES

Would my SSD begin running any faster with 80GB-90GB of files/folders gone onto the E Drive

:)

JimObasa55, Nov 17, 2020

2. C drive and Datapart E drive both have user folders

Hi,

I am new to windows 10 and have a new pc that has a hard drive for the OS and software and a hard drive for storage.

The os Drive is called C:\ and the datapart drive is called E:\C\

The OS, when set up, was to allow for software to be installed on C and data placed on E.

My C drive is small, and I want to ensure it does not get overloaded with unnecessary data.

Both drives have a user folder containing the same items (not files, but folders).

For instance, there is a desktop under both drives, the C desktop contains links to what is actual files located on the E desktop.

That is all well and good and I imagine that is how it is supposed to be.

I have a few questions regarding how this is works.

If I create anything on my desktop, it is saved to the C desktop no matter what. Is it possible to get it to map to the E desktop? For instance, when I right click a spot on the desktop and create a new word doc, can it save to E instead of C.....

There are folders (camera roll and saved pictures) in the C desktop pictures folder that are not in the E pictures folder (which contain the every other picture related file I have. Why are these folders not in the E drive if everything else is in there?

Also, my outlook data file saved to the C Documents folder instead of the E Documents folder.

I do not like having duplicate folders, it seems like more maintenance will be necessary in the future.

If anyone can teach me anything about how this all works I would appreciate it.

John

johnthegreen2, Nov 17, 2020
  3. My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

I THINK the programs are looking in the wrong place.

All my Programs are stored on Drive C:

Drive D: is my Recovery Image

Drive E: is where all my Data files were stored (Documents-Pictures-Videos, etc).

Drive F: has: Clipart-Document Themes 14-Media-MSOCache-Office 14 - Stationery - and Templates.

Hewlett Packard set my computer system up.

Before I did what you suggested above about MOVING files - I had only one listing for Drive EShortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive :(DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pics-Video-Music). Now Drive E: shows up listed under THIS PC as E:\ (and it contains ALL my data - docs-Pics-Video-Music)). All these data
    folders also show up listed under THIS PC in the DOCUMENT folder; AND, all the datat folders also show up in DATADRIVE1-Docs-Pixs-Music-Video!!!! Whatever happened when I moved the files caused them to appear in several places!

I don't think the programs know where to find anything!!!! DUD!

I also have 4 external Western Digital hard drives (but I don't have all of them plugged in simultaneously). My problem with the external hard drives is that now Windows does recognize my 6 TB one - I know it is working because the little light is on and
    blinking....the drive just does not show up in File Explorer.

Do you have any suggestions?

PattiCampbell, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive

My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

Patti,

Let me start by saying the above information would have been very useful at the start. Let me see if I can recap your original issue first...

Before Windows 10 Upgrade:

Your computer was configured (before the Win10 upgrade) to used drive (EShortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive :) as your DEFAULT storage location for DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC etc. I assume there were sub-folders for each.

After Windows 10 Upgrade:

After the upgrade, your DEFAULT storage locations were re-set to drive C:. This had the side affect of you seeing 'Documents' in the quick access list which did not point to your 'Documents' folder on drive E:.

What you wanted:

You wanted the 'Documents' and other data folders that showed up in the Quick Access list to point to your original files on drive E:. You also assumed that all new documents would be created in the Documents folder on drive E:.

Drive E: is your data drive because that is where you have space and you want to continue using that drive.

In the above description I used 'Documents' but that would apply to all of your 'data' folders such as Music, Video, Pictures etc.

If I have this right, please let me know.

FunSideOfSteve, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive

1. Shortcut for folder on E drive to desktop on C drive - Similar Threads - Shortcut folder drive

2. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  3. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows C drive and E drive folder generated Automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows C drive and E drive folder generated Automatically: Assalamu Alaikum.I am a windows 10 home user. I recently found that 3 folder automatically was generated in E drive associated with windows. At the very first when i bought it they were not there.The files are Wpsystem and windows appsAgain in C drive 4-5 folder has been...
  6. Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive

Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive: I want to clone my C SSD drive to my larger E SSD drive. My issue is when I open up Macrium to start the process my C drive SSD and D drive HDD both appear to be chosen for cloning. Both drives have system folders on them but my D drive is huge and I don't need to clone it. I...
  7. Desktop folder disappeared from c drive

Desktop folder disappeared from c drive: I can’t see the Desktop folder on my user folder in C: drive.However all the files on Desktop can be accessed through the desktop. I think that it may be because of the OneDrive folder which including desktop folder.Someone can help me how to fix it?...
  8. a windowsapp folder in E drive

a windowsapp folder in E drive: so there is a windows apps follder in my e drive i have taken full control of it and and found 2 folders one named "deleted" and other is "Mutablebackup" and both are empty folders.. Shall i delete it? is it safe to delete? i am scared that if i delete it it will corrupt...
  9. C drive suddenly changed to E drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive suddenly changed to E drive: The computer wouldn't boot, after checking in the Command Prompt it became clear that the C drive was now the E drive. The computer won't boot (or even open in Safe Mode). What happened? How can this be fixed?...
  10. Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive

Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive: Hello, As the subject line describes the folders on my desktop do not appear in the "desktop" folder under my user folder in the c: drive. This is affecting my ability to back up properly through file history. Does anyone know why this might be occurring? To explain it...