Windows 10: Shortcut icons change

Discus and support Shortcut icons change in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zena Kirk, May 10, 2020.

1. Zena Kirk Win User

Shortcut icons change

My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed. They have an arrow now. But my computer is working without any other problems

:)

Zena Kirk, May 10, 2020

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, May 10, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 10, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

Shortcut icons change

Icons on shortcuts

1. Right-click the shortcut.
    2. Select "Properties."
    3. Click the "Change icon" button on the "Shortcut" tab.
    4. Browse to the *.ico file (or *.dll or *.exe file containing icons).
    5. Select the icon from those displayed.
    6. Click OK

Thema:

Shortcut icons change

1. Shortcut icons change - Similar Threads - Shortcut icons change

2. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  3. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  4. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't change shortcut icon

Can't change shortcut icon: I keep a shortcut for File Explorer on my desktop. Until the last Win10 update last week, it displayed the icon I selected for it under Properties, Change Icon. Now it displays a blank icon on the desktop, and won't display the one I choose for it, even thought the Properties...
  6. Changed shortcut icon.

Changed shortcut icon.: Hello, I have just had a strange experience with my desktop icons. All my dektop shortcuts had their little arrow icon changed into a black character with a waving hand on a white background. It covered most of the icon behind it. However after I reset Windows Explorer, the...
  7. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  8. Changing a Shortcut Icon

Changing a Shortcut Icon: I'd like to change the icon of a Google docs shortcut from the standard Microsoft Edge logo to the actual Google docs logo. Is this possible, as if so how do I do this? Thank you...
  9. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  10. Shortcut icons keep changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut icons keep changing: Shortcuts used to be indicated by a fairly unobtrusive arrow in the corner. A few days ago they changed to an overly visible white arrow in a green circle in the lower middle of the program icon. Then they changed to a gray X in the corner. Now they're back to the arrow in...