Windows 10: Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem?

Discus and support Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have folders on my desktop (windows 10 1709) that contain shortcut icons to all my programs and games. after starting windows and opening a folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Willabong Win User

Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem?

I have folders on my desktop (windows 10 1709) that contain shortcut icons to all my programs and games. after starting windows and opening a folder with these shortcuts, windows has to re-draw all the shortcuts, this happens in every folder and can take some time to complete.
    Is there a registry hack to stop windows deleting the shortcut cashe on re-boot?

I realise that not everyone has their shortcut icons in folders on the desktop, but this is the way I like to organise things, so any help would be appreciated?*Sad

:)

Willabong, Nov 19, 2017

2. Steam Desktop shortcuts not working since Windows 10 update ;___;

Short answer:

1. Check integrity of game.

2. Re-create shortcut through Steam (Library - Games - right click on game - create desktop shortcut).

Explanation:

All icons stored under [Steam dir]\Steam\games and not re-created when you are reinstalling Steam. Checking integrity re-creates appropriated icon.

Smiling Spectre Nobody, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Defender real time protection causes slow icon drawing (exe files)

Windows defender is causing slow Drawing of icons for .exe because of defender. my downloads folder has numerous exe files and they are slow to draw for several seconds due to antimalware service kicking in. It only happens first time I open, after that
    it's instant - until the next reboot when the same happens! By turning off real time protection and it becomes instant. So defender is the culprit.

It has another annoying side effect when I reboot. My desktop displays and some of the shortcut icons on here takes a few seconds to display. They have white generic paper icons on some of them before they all draw properly. Again it's defender that is causing
    it.

This needs addressing by MS I think

Scottyboy99, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem?

In explorer open C:\Users\<user-name>
    Among the listed folders, right-click on Desktop and choose Properties.
    Choose the Customize tab.
    What does it say in the Optimize this folder for box? One of these:
    - General Items
    - Documents
    - Pictures
    - Music
    - Videos
    I find that certain odd behaviors will go away if you set this to Documents.

This is not specific to the 1709 update. It's been around for years. It might work for you. Or it might be that 1709 has introduced yet another unsolvable bug. I don't know, but it's easy enough to try this fix.

margrave55, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Willabong Win User
    No! Doesn't make any difference?

Willabong, Nov 19, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    Right click each shortcut choose Properties under the Shortcut tab what does the Target Say? Make sure Target and Start In paths are the same.

spunk, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Willabong Win User
    There is no "Shortcut" tab in "Properties", with most of the shortcuts, only the Steam games shortcuts have a Shortcut tab, and they have the right path on target and start in?

Willabong, Nov 20, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Ok, when you right click and choose Properties, what does Location say? Is there a Location tab? Can you move the shortcut (folder) to the desired location?

spunk, Nov 20, 2017
  9. Willabong Win User
    The shortcut folders are on my desktop, there are hundreds of shortcut icons to start various games in these folders separated by type, eg: Hidden Object/Space/Racing/ Point and Click etc.
    The problem is that after starting the PC and opening a folder, the shortcut icons inside take some time to be re-drawn. So it seems that the shortcut (picture) is being deleted when I close down my PC, and are only re-drawn when I open a folder? The paths to each icon is correct, what I need is to stop Windows from deleting the shortcut information on close down, so that the icons do not need to be re-drawn every time I boot?

Willabong, Nov 20, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Nov 20, 2017
  11. Willabong Win User
    Nice try topgundcp, but there is no real change in the speed of the re-draw, with REG_SZ or D_WORD used?

Willabong, Nov 20, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Just so you know, those icons are retrieved from the executable file(s)/video/Music and if they are huge in size will cause such problem. The shortcuts just reference back to the original files so I am not sure if it will build the cache. In addition, it also depends on the quality of your video card.

topgundcp, Nov 20, 2017
  13. Willabong Win User

The shortcuts are mostly under 2kb each, my graphics card is a Radeon HD (mid range) 2 gig card, can't remember the full specs, but it handles everything I throw at it with no problems!
    I have run almost every OS microsoft has produced 98/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 and now 10, and none of the previous OS' have ever had slow re-draw problems with icons (which I have always used on my desktop since 98.
    The problem is caused by the OS not remembering or saving the icon setup on close down, so they need to be re-drawn after startup. Surely there has to be a way to get Windows 10 to retain the icon information when closing down?

Willabong, Nov 21, 2017
  14. pepanee Win User
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet nor do I know if you tried it, but try rebuilding the Cache Icon Database

Option #1:
    Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

*Edit*: I don't think this will directly fix the issue, but it's worth a try to see if it could possible improve the issue.

pepanee, Nov 22, 2017
  15. Willabong Win User
    Sorry, but makes no real difference to the re-draw! Still, it was worth a try, so thank you!*Wink

Willabong, Nov 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Shortcut icons on desktop re-draw problem? - Similar Threads - Shortcut icons desktop

2. Desktop shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut icons: There is a well-publicized registry hack to hide the little "arrows" on desktop icons to signify that it's a shortcut rather than an application, but I've found this hack to be unreliable - after a reboot all the icons are, as often as not, just blank. Deleting the icon cache...
  3. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Will it affect my games,...
  4. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Will it affect my games,...
  5. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Plz help! .........
  6. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: In Windows 10 My icons have disappeared.The names of the items are still there and I can click on them to access the programme.But the icon pictures are not showing.I have done personalislation/Themes/desktop items but with no success.I have even done System Restore but no...
  7. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Desktop Shortcut Icons: How do I give a standard user permission to add/delete desktop shortcuts/icons by the drag-drop method? New HP All-In-One, W-10 Home. Standard user not able to drag programs/web pages onto the desktop to create a shortcut. I can do it in Admin, but standard user cannot, nor...
  8. Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.

Problem with desktop icon shortcuts.: Hello, since a half year ago I have been experiencing a strange behavior with desktop shortcuts. It is not a big problem, because it does not interrupt me to use my computer as always, it is just a bit disturbing when I notice it and it makes me think that my storage is...
  9. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Desktop Shortcut Icons: Made a desktop shortcut for spotify on my laptop. Turned the computer off and when I came back to it the spotify icon had disappeared and was replaced by blank sheet. How can I get the icon back and stop this from happening in the future?...
  10. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...