Windows 10: shortcut in toolbar now asks for security confirmation

Discus and support shortcut in toolbar now asks for security confirmation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a toolbar I created to house some convenient shortcuts. One that is a shortcut to a vmware configuration file just begun to ask for a security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rocket777, Aug 9, 2016.

1. rocket777 Win User

shortcut in toolbar now asks for security confirmation

I've got a toolbar I created to house some convenient shortcuts. One that is a shortcut to a vmware configuration file just begun to ask for a security confirmation, complaining about an unknown publisher. If I create the same shortcut on the desktop, no problem. This shortcut worked fine for months. I do see that there's been some updates, so maybe win 10 broke something. Besides for the inconvenience of clicking the open button, it thinks for a few seconds before asking, which is annoying.

Any ideas?

:)

rocket777, Aug 9, 2016

2. How do you pin printer to the tool bar?

There is a way to get the printer icon to display on your windows taskbar....

couldn't find this solution anywhere but here's how to do it:

-create a folder called 'shortcuts' in documents

-right-click your printer(s) in control panel and select create shortcut (goes to desktop)

-move the created shortcut to the folder you created in documents

-right-click taskbar, toolbar, new toolbar

-browse to and select the folder called shortcuts in documents

-right-click the new toolbar and de-select show text/title

any shortcut you put in that shortcuts folder will now appear in your taskbar

Westbrook215, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Unnecessary Date Modified update from Toolbar link usage.

The toolbar I am using is ANY toolbar that is custom created by the user via New toolbar... The entries in the toolbar are stored as shortcuts in the folder of the user's choice. I just deleted and reinstalled my custom toolbar. The Date Modified is still
    being updated for the shortcut selected every time I select one from the toolbar to execute.

After reinstallation, there is now a new minor problem. When I "Lock the taskbar", instead of just the first entry of the toolbar list showing on the taskbar, two entries are now showing. If I leave the taskbar unlocked, only the first entry of the toolbar
    shows. The "Show Text" and "Show title" options are unchecked.

The good news is that it is now easier to manually order the toolbar entries by dragging and dropping. After Windows 8.1 was installed, manually ordering the entries was a very convoluted task. There was a strong tendency of Windows 8.1 to put the toolbar
    entries back into alphabetical order on the next boot of the operating system.

Michael J.Holley, Aug 9, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

If you wish, you can use the registry tweak. However, if you run MalwareBytes, it will complaint about it, just exclude from MalwareBytes.

Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{E2F13B98-650F-47DB-845A-420A1ED34EC7}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations] "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations] "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs"[/quote]

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2016
  5. rocket777 Win User
    I'm a little bit nervous about using that. Does it disable all checking for exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs file types? I don't want to disable all checking, for those file types. I just want to know why this shortcut works just fine, until I copy it into a toolbar folder.

I see by winver, that I'm now on version 10586.545, whereas my other laptop, which had been off until recently, is still at 10586.494, and it does not have this issue.

rocket777, Aug 9, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Not sure why you are still running 10586. Most of us are running new build 14393 now. That's what I am using to avoid all the nagging, you can take out the extensions you don't want to exclude.

topgundcp, Aug 9, 2016
  7. rocket777 Win User
    thanks, new version fixed this issue, I now am on 14393.51

rocket777, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. shortcut in toolbar now asks for security confirmation - Similar Threads - shortcut toolbar asks

2. Why is Google Chrome suddenly asking me to confirm my identity using a security key on a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Google Chrome suddenly asking me to confirm my identity using a security key on a...: Today when I was updating my credit card information for a site due to my old card expiry date was getting close, Google Chrome asked me to confirm my identity using a security key where it asked me to insert my security key into the USB port.I was quite surprised since I...
  3. Why is Google Chrome suddenly asking me to confirm my identity using a security key on a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Google Chrome suddenly asking me to confirm my identity using a security key on a...: Today when I was updating my credit card information for a site due to my old card expiry date was getting close, Google Chrome asked me to confirm my identity using a security key where it asked me to insert my security key into the USB port.I was quite surprised since I...
  4. Desktop shortcut missing in quick access toolbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop shortcut missing in quick access toolbar.: Hi! How do I add desktop icon or shortcut to a folder quick access toolbar? It went missing after a system update, I guess. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcut-missing-in-quick-access-toolbar/87fa877a-171b-4083-9973-9b6067d82bea
  5. Desktop shortcut missing in quick access toolbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop shortcut missing in quick access toolbar.: Hi! How do I add desktop icon or shortcut to a folder quick access toolbar? It went missing after a system update, I guess. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcut-missing-in-quick-access-toolbar/87fa877a-171b-4083-9973-9b6067d82bea
  6. MS Security Essentials repeatedly asks users to "Restart Now"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Security Essentials repeatedly asks users to "Restart Now": Over the past two weeks the MS Security Essentials service on my Win 7 Machines has been restarting periodically. In many cases the restart times out and it takes several more tries before it gives up, which is typical, or resumes normal function. This does not appear to be...
  7. Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account security confirmation - is this a scam?: My friend just got 2 e-mails purporting to be from Microsoft Account Team. The first one says her Microsoft account has been renamed. The renaming takes her current gmail address and changes 1 character in it. The email then says: If this is correct, you don't need...
  8. Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?: I have Win 10 updates set to "Notify to Schedule Restart". Will it ask me to confirm before it restarts (since it seems to schedule them about 3:00 a.m. when I'm asleep). I'd rather my computer not reboot without my ok. Thanks. 17874
  9. WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation.

in Windows 10 Support
    WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation.: I have unchecked delete confirmation in the recycle bin properties, but whenever I delete a file or folder on a removable drive or a network drive, the delete confirmation pops up. This does not happen on Windows 7 or 8. 7894
  10. Ask Toolbar gets the banhammer on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Ask Toolbar gets the banhammer on Windows: You know it, I know it, Wikipedia knows it, and now Windows knows it: the Ask Toolbar is a bad thing that nobody wants on their PC. The next time the Ask Toolbar tries to sneak onto your computer it will be marked as “unwanted software” (that’s a nice way of saying malware)...