Windows 10: shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer

Discus and support shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; this is a duplication of the same thread here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=308829 Noone answered me over there,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AdamEvanovich2, Jan 8, 2020.

1. shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer

this is a duplication of the same thread here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=308829

Noone answered me over there, probably because I'm such a smarta$$. Who knows. But regardless, this is still unsolved. Here is what I have you guys....

================================================================================================

I have a directory setup on my laptop in the following manner:

=> C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\[mixture of source files, folders and shortcuts are here]
    => C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\new machine backup\[many subdirectories are here, including a dir called "desktop"

in the 2nd path structure outlined above, in the dir "desktop", I have all the source files and folders stored from the 1st path structure outline above. I regularly copy the contents of path #1 not the shortcut links to the subdir "desktop" in path #2, and subsequently copy the contents of that path to my external hard drive target dir, which is:

=> D:\new machine backup\desktop

There's never been a problem with this operation until today, when I noticed that after doing this, all the shortcut indicators for the SC links located on the laptop's actual desktop location disappeared. see image below. funny thing is, when clicking on any of those icons, the source files still open and those sources are still located in the same place verified by right clicking on the file and clicking "open file location". furthermore, if I check the properties of any given shortcut on the laptop's desktop now, it shows a duplicated "new machine backup\desktop" string in the target path! again, see image below. Anyone else have this happen? Have I caused the windows OS to become confused? Certainly I have a tendency to confuse AI robots, so maybe the same thing happened here?

shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer afd67fcc-3a66-4ab8-894e-a3671fd4cb64?upload=true.jpg

shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer 05aa9a02-a715-45f7-9b14-36dfdf0b4a32?upload=true.jpg

:)

AdamEvanovich2, Jan 8, 2020
  2. tigger Win User
    tigger, Jan 8, 2020
  3. odennehy Win User
    Windows 10, shortcut arrows icon disappears

This problem has been reported in earlier versions of Windows after Windows 7. The problem is that the shortcut arrow disappears from icons; making it impossible to distinguish between a shortcut and the actual file. I've found the quick fix thus far is
    simple to RIGHT MOUSE CLICK on the DESKTOP, then select REFRESH. That seems to restores the shortcut arrow.

odennehy, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Rule-R Win User

shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer

Desktop shortcuts disappearing

One of the computers i maintain has a few of the desktop shortcuts disappearing now and then. It runs windows 7, and has a shitload of shortcuts on the desktop.

Any idea what might cause this?

Rule-R, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer

1. shortcut indicators arrows disappearing when copying unrelated files in windows explorer - Similar Threads - shortcut indicators arrows

2. Shortcut arrows disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows disappear: Windows 11. I keep shortcuts with arrows on my desktop to quickly open files and folders. However, every 3 weeks or so, the arrows disappear. I run the program “Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg” to restore them. It does a great job, but I have to reboot each time....
  3. Shortcut arrows disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut arrows disappear: Windows 11. I keep shortcuts with arrows on my desktop to quickly open files and folders. However, every 3 weeks or so, the arrows disappear. I run the program “Restore_default_shortcut_arrow.reg” to restore them. It does a great job, but I have to reboot each time....
  4. What are Circular arrows indicate under files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are Circular arrows indicate under files: I have 2 circular arrows under each of my files and pictures since I got my new laptop. I loaded the pictures from a memory stick and now these arrows appear and I can't open the file unless I right click each file. I don't want one drive, so how can I get rid of that if it...
  5. What are Circular arrows indicate under files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are Circular arrows indicate under files: I have 2 circular arrows under each of my files and pictures since I got my new laptop. I loaded the pictures from a memory stick and now these arrows appear and I can't open the file unless I right click each file. I don't want one drive, so how can I get rid of that if it...
  6. Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared: As the title says ... the arrows on my desktop shortcuts have disappeared. I don't know why. And not all of them are gone. [img] Whuzzup with all that? 104717
  7. arrows disappeared in windows explorer context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    arrows disappeared in windows explorer context menu: Hi everybody, I experienced a problem: I decided to get rid of some of my typefaces. I had so much of them. But I may have uninstalled a system typeface, since I got empty vertical rectangle instead of arrows. What could I do? Thank you [img] 53558
  8. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....
  9. Shortcut arrows keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut arrows keep disappearing: Since upgrading to W10 from W7, any shortcuts held within folders lose their little arrows after a few hours making them indistinguishable from the original file icons. Replacing these shortcuts with new ones, does not help as the same thing happens after a short time. All...
  10. file explorer on taskbar not opening windows, and is copying shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer on taskbar not opening windows, and is copying shortcuts: it suddenly stopped working the shortcuts are not opening when i click on them is it a setting?: [img] and why is the shortcuts on the taskbar explorer (when u right click it like in the gif) have the same shortcuts as in the explorer window (the shortcuts on the sides)...