Windows 10: Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop

Discus and support Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've made a Batch script that allows me to quickly type in what program I want to launch, and have it assigned to Ctrl+Shift+C. It is placed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sup, Apr 8, 2017.

1. SUP
    sup Win User

Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop

I've made a Batch script that allows me to quickly type in what program I want to launch, and have it assigned to Ctrl+Shift+C. It is placed in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. The shortcut key works when applications are opened and everything, except for when I'm on the desktop, which is the only time I'd want to use it.

I've even tried making another shortcut on the desktop and trying to use it. No luck. Only works when any other application is open.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

:)

2. Win 10 Desktop shortcut folders issue

An update on my situation: I have a laptop that has the same set of shortcuts as my desktop, and after migrating from 8.1 to 10 on my laptop, these shortcuts worked! The systems were almost identical, but on my desktop the shortcuts don't work. So, I
    copied the laptop shortcuts to a USB key and replaced the non-working shortcuts on my desktop machine. Now all the shortcuts work! I know this isn't a solution for anyone else, but it got me past the problem of many shortcuts not working on my desktop Win
    10 machine.

JerryAbrams, Apr 8, 2017
  3. ChrisTCx Win User
    Virtual Desktop Keyboard Shortcut Bug

So while using the Windows Key+Control+Left/Right Arrow keyboard shortcut that switches between your virtual desktops, I noticed an inconsistency with it.

If I use my left control key to do this keyboard shortcut, only the shortcut that uses the left arrow key works.

In other words, Left Control+Windows Key+Left Arrow works, but
    Left Control+Windows Key+Right Arrow doesn't.

However there doesn't seem to be a problem if I use the right control key instead of the left one, however that makes the keyboard shortcut awkward to press.

I am on a clean install of Windows 10, and the left control key works fine otherwise, but I was wondering whether or not this could be fixed.

ChrisTCx, Apr 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Have you considered Launchy?
    Launchy: The Open Source Keystroke Launcher

Or the search field in Classic Shell start menu can be set to only search the start menu?

Turning to your shortcut- I would experiment with e.g. defining a shortcut to Notepad, say, and assigning a hotkey to that.
    One convenient place to put that shortcut is in the start menu All programs section.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  5. SUP
    sup Win User
    It's cool, but not what I want. Thanks, though.

I'm confused on what you're saying about defining a shortcut... I already did that, and it's in the right folder.

6. dalchina New Member
    What I mean is, separate the problem. Rather than launch your script, launch Notepad. If that starts (as mine does for example) the problem isn't the shortcut and hot key.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortcut key doesn't work from desktop - Similar Threads - Shortcut key doesn't

2. Shortcut key doesn't work for CMD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut key doesn't work for CMD?: I made a CMD file that changes the power plan. Unfortunately, there's no option to create a direct keyboard shortcut via the properties, so I instead created a shortcut via the right-click menu. When I then set the keyboard shortcut to Num *, nothing happened; in fact, any...
  3. Shortcut key doesn't work for CMD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut key doesn't work for CMD?: I made a CMD file that changes the power plan. Unfortunately, there's no option to create a direct keyboard shortcut via the properties, so I instead created a shortcut via the right-click menu. When I then set the keyboard shortcut to Num *, nothing happened; in fact, any...
  4. Shortcut key doesn't work for CMD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shortcut key for icons in desktop are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut key for icons in desktop are not working: I have everyday use directories, server folders, web links and other locations folder shortcuts in the desktop. To access them with keyboard. I have set up shortcut for most of them. For example, the "Project" folder shortcut had the Keys "Ctrl + Alt + B". It worked just fine...
  6. Shortcut key for icons in desktop are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut key for icons in desktop are not working: I have everyday use directories, server folders, web links and other locations folder shortcuts in the desktop. To access them with keyboard. I have set up shortcut for most of them. For example, the "Project" folder shortcut had the Keys "Ctrl + Alt + B". It worked just fine...
  7. Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...: Hello, I upgraded my PC to 21H1 recently , and I have started facing some problems one after the other... And now I am unable to use an shortcut keys while on the Desktop like the Home Screen on the Windows 10. I am unable to use the shortcut keys like:- F5 RefreshF2 Rename a...
  8. %AppData% command doesn't work from Windows key + R shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    %AppData% command doesn't work from Windows key + R shortcut: Hi, Since 2 or 3 days, I can't open the AppData\Roaming folder via the execute program. I tried to run the sfc /scannow command in an elevated command prompt, and there was no problem detected. I also tried to run the gci env: command in an elevated PowerShell and the...
  9. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....
  10. Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot use shortcut keys from desktop: Hello, I recently started using windows 10. In previous versions of windows I am a huge fan of setting shortcut keys for my desktop shortcuts (e.g. right click -> properties -> Shortcut key) For example, I'm used to opening google chrome with CTRL+ALT+C. Since I installed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. short cut doesnt work on desktop

2. shortcut key doesnt work windows 10