Windows 10: Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed

Discus and support Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wonder if anyone could help with this issue I have been having for many months: I use MS Office on a Windows 10 desktop, have previously used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mark Franklin, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed

I wonder if anyone could help with this issue I have been having for many months:

I use MS Office on a Windows 10 desktop, have previously used Office 2016 and recently upgraded to Office 2019.

I like to set up Shortcut Key sequences to open each piece of software - e.g. holding CTRL + ALT + E will open Excel, CTRL + ALT + W will open Word, and so on.

This is acheived by finding the the shortcut files (in my case, stored in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. I right-click the desired file and there is an option to set a Shortcut Keystroke sequence in there.

All works fine for a few days/weeks then all of a sudden all of the shortcut keystrokes have disappeared. The files are still there, but I have to right-click and retype in the key sequences again.

It has been going on for many months, and affected 2016 and 2019 versions.

The shortcut keystroke data for all MS Office applications disappear all at the same time. I have tested by setting similar shortcuts for other apps in the same folder (e.g. Adobe Photoshop) and none of these are ever affected/deleted.

Therefore the issue must lie with MS Office - perhaps when it performs a behind the scenes update, it decides to overwrite the shortcut files? Never had this issue in the distant past so I wonder if there is a way around it.

Many thanks indeed,

Mark

[Moved from: Office / Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Office 2019]

***Modified title from: Shortcut keys to open MS Office applications keep disappearing***

:)

Mark Franklin, Feb 6, 2019
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Remove application shortcut keys after application has been uninstalled - Windows 10

In spite of the fact that a moderator moved this to the Office forum, it is actually a Windows problem. The shortcut keys are assigned to a Windows Shortcut, the application it is associated with is irrelevant.

The suggestion you ask the question in technet is a good idea. This problem is a little more technical than we usually deal with in Answers.

Rohn007, Feb 6, 2019
  3. E71 shortcut keys and application shortcuts

I have owned my E71 for three weeks. There is something very wrong with shortcut keys and application shortcuts. I have a SIM free phone. My e-mail shortcut key works for a while when I turn the phone off and on again: one short press = opens e-mail and
    one long press = new e-mail message. But after a while, pressing the button causes nothing to happen.

I have read another thread about this and tried to assign different functions to the button but I end up with everything working for a while, then all the shortcut keys failing. So I reset everything to default.

I know that some people have suggested that having more than one e-mail account might cause this. I have deleted a second e-mail account but this has not helped.

Today I assigned a new application shortcut so that the first button was a new text message. Shortcut has never caused a problem before. Now, pressing this produces a flicker, and then nothing.

There is something wrong here. I would appreciate any suggestions of a resolution. I don;t think the previous answer marked as a 'solution' will cure everyone's problems.

John

mjtlee---01, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Florrian Win User

Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed

Modify Microsoft Office Icons/Tiles

EDIT: only works for icons, not for tiles :/

Ok, I just found a way but it is not really straightforward. It consists in creating a shortcut toward a homonym application for each of the Microsoft Office programs, and then deleting the homonym application and renaming the real Microsoft Office program. If you create a shortcut directly to one of the program, you will not be able to modify the icon.

Step by step:
    1. Go in Microsoft Office folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 for Windows 10 and Office 15)
    2. Rename EXCEL.EXE in EXCEL2.EXE, or any other application whose icon you want to edit
    3. Create a new text document (or whatever you like) on your desktop, and give it the initial name of the Office application you are working on (EXCEL.exe here)
    4. Move the fake file into the Office folder
    5. Create a shortcut toward the fake application on your desktop, and change shortcut icon (you will not be able to do it anymore after step 6)
    6. Delete the fake file in the Office folder, and give the real Office program its original name
    7. Pin your new shortcut to your Start menu

Florrian, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed

1. Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed - Similar Threads - Shortcut keys assigned

2. How to list all assigned Shortcut Keys for Shortcuts in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to list all assigned Shortcut Keys for Shortcuts in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to find and list all assigned Shortcut Keys (hotkeys) for Shortcuts for your account in Windows 11/10. There are many such hotkeys and it is always a good idea to know them all. List all assigned Shortcut Keys (Hotkeys) for Shortcuts...
  3. How to assign a shortcut key to start a vbs script

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to assign a shortcut key to start a vbs script: Dear Community, I used to have a shortcut key assigned to some vbs script that I would trigger from time to time. The way to set it up was an option provided in a popup which is available by right-click on the script in the file explorer. Currently this option is not shown...
  4. Assigning Microsoft Jig-Saw to a key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Assigning Microsoft Jig-Saw to a key: I'm using a MS ergonomic keyboard in Windows 10 1909 and try to assign Microsoft Jig-Saw to a programmable key, but the program is not in the list of programs....
  5. Applications (Microsoft Office) are removed after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Applications (Microsoft Office) are removed after Windows update.: The recent update on my HP Pavilion g7, windows 10, removed a lot of applications from my computer. I need excel and word for home use. I am retired. * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: Excel and Word ***Modified Title from: Recent update...
  6. Shortcut keys to open MS Office applications keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys to open MS Office applications keep disappearing: I wonder if anyone could help with this issue I have been having for many months: I use MS Office on a Windows 10 desktop, have previously used Office 2016 and recently upgraded to Office 2019. I like to set up Shortcut Key sequences to open each piece of software - e.g....
  7. Get Office removal

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Get Office removal: I have tried getting rid of the Get Office notifications on a new laptop, 10 days old. I tried all suggestions to shut it off and have uninstalled Get Office in settings and with power shell. The notifications are back even thought it is supposedly not on my computer. How do...
  8. How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut?: I'm trying to make Win + C open the Calculator, but the Shortcut key field in Properties (from the Desktop shortcut) doesn't register a Win key press (just Ctrl or Alt or Del or a letter). Is there some way to do this? 97084
  9. assign optional drive to a shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    assign optional drive to a shortcut: Hello, I have shortcuts to files on a flash drive; the shortcuts are saved on the flash drive as well. When I am trying to open the files through the shortcut on a different computer, I am getting the "Problem with Shortcut" message because the shortcut was created with a...
  10. Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10: How to: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 How to Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can assign a keyboard shortcut (aka: shortcut key) to a shortcut on your desktop, taskbar, and Start menu. When...