Windows 10: Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder

Discus and support Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm running insider preview build 19635.mn_release.200522-1435 I have a shortcut of Windows Terminal on my desktop. This shortcut was made by: Open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Master Shaxi, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder

I'm running insider preview build 19635.mn_release.200522-1435

I have a shortcut of Windows Terminal on my desktop. This shortcut was made by:

• Open run Win + R and run shell:AppsFolder.
    • Right click on Windows Terminal and choose Create shortcut.

My shortcut key is set to Ctrl + Alt + T, mimicking Ubuntu's implementation of the GNOME desktop environment. I was messing around with Windows Terminal trying to access my Desktop folder, when I discovered "C:/Users/blah/Desktop" didn't exist. Rather, Desktop was located in "C:/Users/blah/OneDrive". Moving Desktop to the Users/blah folder resulted in my shortcut being unresponsive. It seems that I can only Ctrl + Alt + T for Windows Terminal when the Desktop is a child of OneDrive.

Also, OneDrive is uninstalled. I don't particularly understand why Desktop gets moved to OneDrive upon Windows installation, it would make more sense to have OneDrive install without any setup. It's nothing but a hinderance if used for personal usage anyway.

:)

Master Shaxi, Jun 8, 2020
  2. Neal.S Win User

Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive

Inside of OneDrive I have created folders inside of folders, organizing all of my documents I work with on a daily basis. In some folders I need to shortcut to other folders within these folders. I hope I am not confusing here, But this worked very well
    for me on windows explorer on my desktop. Now working within OneDrive. If I do exactly as stated. The shortcuts work on my desktop, but when I go to my laptop and try to access the folders using the shortcut. The folder is not found. I can find the folder
    in OneDrive on my laptop if I go through the address path to get there, But the shortcut does not work.

Any idea's on how I can get these shortcuts to work? The same thing is reversed if I create the shortcut on my laptop and try using the shortcut on my desktop. I have a hunch it has something to do with the shortcut "path." Any help would be much appreciated!

Neal.S, Jun 8, 2020
  3. mystvearn Win User
    Making PC desktop path native to onedrive folder?

Hi, I am using Microsoft office 365 as part of my institution package. Is it possible for the PC desktop files to natively display a folder from the onedrive? I want to make all common C: locations to onedrive locations. So if anything happens, I always have everything sync online?

Previously I synced the locations so from "C:\user\username" to other places on the PC. Previously, I use syncback to syncfolders to Onedrive and other HD's. However, this step is just redundant. When you sync onedrive to the PC, you still need to specify a place on the PC. So from "C:\user\username\ onedrive". Technically, Onedrive still uses a physical place on the PC to store files.
    So what I did is that I specify which part of the onedrive to replace "My Documents", "My Pictures", "Downloads" folder in the quick access. I am having a problem specifying or replacing the Desktop folder. Is it possible to change my native desktop to display directly the desktop on the onedrive online? The only problem I see is application shortcuts. You cannot specify a shortcut to appear on the onedrive folder. Aside from that, I get full autosave function of MS files which is connected to Onedrive. If it is not possible to replace the desktop file, I will still use the same solution with syncback.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mystvearn, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder

Symlink shortcut changes when folder renamed

Hi Toaster Ghost Burns Bread,

I have recreated your concern by going through these steps. Please let me know if we are on the same understanding about the issue:

1. On the Start menu, I typed %appdata% and then hit
      Enter.
    2. I created a folder under AppData and named it Test.
    3. Right-clicked the newly created folder and select Sent to > Desktop (create a shortcut) to create a shortcut.
    4. Renamed the folder to Test2.
    5. Go to the desktop. Double-clicked the shortcut and it was able to locate the renamed folder. (This is working as designed).

Just to clarify, do you want the shortcut folder to not be able to open/locate the folder when you renamed it?

We look forward to your response.

Monica Cam, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder

1. Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder - Similar Threads - Shortcut keys Desktop

2. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive: Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with OneDrive. I keep copies stored locally in both computers, just in case. I often use shortcuts to folders and paste them in My...
  3. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive: Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with OneDrive. I keep copies stored locally in both computers, just in case. I often use shortcuts to folders and paste them in My...
  4. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop linked to Onedrive folder

Desktop linked to Onedrive folder: I was recently attempting to link one drive folders for multiple user access and seem to have changed the way my desktop saves. Now whenever I save to the actual desktop ie right click create new folder on the actual screen, it saves to onedrive. I would like to change this...
  6. Desktop folder is in OneDrive

Desktop folder is in OneDrive: I got a new PC and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> [ATTACH]...
  7. Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive

Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive: Inside of OneDrive I have created folders inside of folders, organizing all of my documents I work with on a daily basis. In some folders I need to shortcut to other folders within these folders. I hope I am not confusing here, But this worked very well for me on windows...
  8. Desktop folder in OneDrive

Desktop folder in OneDrive: I got a new laptop and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> Hope for a quick reply....
  9. Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts in Folders not visible: When I switched on my pc yesterday running latest version of Win 10 I notice that all the shortcuts are no longer visible in the desktop folders, or, any folders. Before I could see a representation of them sticking out from the Folder. When I click on a folder it opens...
  10. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....