Windows 10: Shortcut Keys

Discus and support Shortcut Keys in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have windows 10, when I am doing stuff it gets stuck in some sort of shortcut key mode - I can't type, and most letters open some random tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesBlack, May 6, 2020.

1. Shortcut Keys

Hi, I have windows 10, when I am doing stuff it gets stuck in some sort of shortcut key mode - I can't type, and most letters open some random tool like search or snip or any number of things I don't care about.

I did some searching to see if there was an obvious cause for this, and I didn't find anything helpful.

Is there a feature I can turn off somewhere so this doesn't happen, or is Windows insistent on making me not feel in charge of my own devices?

As far as it goes, I've been using computers (not in a technical way) for decades - I am perfectly capable of opening and using the tools I want, when I want them - so anything that "takes over" my keyboard and makes it do anything other than make the letters I press appear is unacceptable.

I can't work out how to turn it off when it happens, and am forced to shutdown the computer (and anything I had open) so that I can type.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

JamesBlack, May 6, 2020

2. shortcut key

Hi Devanshu,

To get a shortcut key for the calculator, go to your desktop and then follow these steps for Windows 10

1. Open the start menu

2. Navigate to calculator in the apps list on the left hand side of the start menu

3. Click and drag the calculator app to your desktop

4. Right-click on calculator and open properties

5. In properties there should be an option to add a shortcut key

ArmadilloHead02, May 6, 2020
  3. Autumn20 Win User
    Shortcut key for "My Stuff" ?

Using Windows 10, here's the steps I'm taking to search for files on the computer:

• Click Start Menu (or tap the Windows key on the keyboard)
    • Start typing a search term
    • Click "My Stuff"
    • When it finds your file, click it to make the file open
    • If you want to open File Explorer and peruse similar files without opening files:
      • After clicking "My Stuff" (in Step 3) go to the bottom area under "Other places to look" and click "File Explorer"
      • File Explorer opens

Question: I don't want to use the mouse to click "My Stuff" in step 3. Is there a shortcut key?

Autumn20, May 6, 2020
  4. Autumn20 Win User

Shortcut Keys

Shortcut key for "My Stuff" ?

Using Windows 10, here's the steps I'm taking to search for files on the computer:

• Click Start Menu (or tap the Windows key on the keyboard)
    • Start typing a search term
    • Click "My Stuff"
    • When it finds your file, click it to make the file open
    • If you want to open File Explorer and peruse similar files without opening files:
      • After clicking "My Stuff" (in Step 3) go to the bottom area under "Other places to look" and click "File Explorer"
      • File Explorer opens

Question: I don't want to use the mouse to click "My Stuff" in step 3. Is there a shortcut key?

Autumn20, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Shortcut Keys

1. Shortcut Keys - Similar Threads - Shortcut Keys

2. Windows Process for Custom CTRL+ALT keyboard shortcut keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Process for Custom CTRL+ALT keyboard shortcut keys: What windows process executes the custom keyboard shortcuts that a user can define to open files or programs? For example I may have a file on my desktop where I defined CTRL+ALT+E to open a favorite excel file. So whenever I hit this key combo, the excel file opens. I...
  3. Use Laptop F-key shortcuts on the On-Screen Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use Laptop F-key shortcuts on the On-Screen Keyboard: is it possible? I'm looking for any article to see if I could use my Lenovo F key shortcuts such as volume or brightness or basically anything you can do with the Action Center Just without using the action center. I'm about to go check out my Lenovo device website and ask...
  4. Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working: Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-key-fnf5-not-working/ca917718-6d6a-404b-b643-a4398d3f0842
  5. %AppData% command doesn't work from Windows key + R shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    %AppData% command doesn't work from Windows key + R shortcut: Hi, Since 2 or 3 days, I can't open the AppData\Roaming folder via the execute program. I tried to run the sfc /scannow command in an elevated command prompt, and there was no problem detected. I also tried to run the gci env: command in an elevated PowerShell and the...
  6. Did accidentally some kind of key combination and now i have shortcuts for literally every...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did accidentally some kind of key combination and now i have shortcuts for literally every...: Hi. I was doing some math on my table and i set the book on my keyboard. It pressed down some of the keys so it did a combination and now i have shortcuts like when i press U it goes to screen settings and when i press delete it opens the settings menu. I literally can't...
  7. Why does my keyboard require me to press and hold the FN key to use basic shortcuts like...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does my keyboard require me to press and hold the FN key to use basic shortcuts like...: Hello, I have an alienware laptop and for some reason or I might have clicked something and can't reverse back I can't use the windows + D command to return to desktop or windows + M to minimize unless I press the fn key first. How to change this? I would like to use the...
  8. Shortcut key for making a specific image available in clip board?

Shortcut key for making a specific image available in clip board?: Wanted to check if this is possible. Say I'm chatting with a friend in discord / steam chat / etc., and say there's some meme image I use a lot. What I want is to be able to press some shortcut key combinations, so that this meme picture becomes available in the system...
  9. Using shortcut keys to open programs on Windows 10

Using shortcut keys to open programs on Windows 10: Hey Everyone, A few years ago I installed Windows 10 and thought it would be a great idea to add shortcut (function) keys to different programs like Microsoft Word, Excel and other programs for Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop for easier startup if say I was in a web browser and...
  10. MS Wireless Keyboard 5050 - Shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Wireless Keyboard 5050 - Shortcut keys: On my old keyboard, I could press F5 in Notepad for a timestamp. However I am unable to get a timestamp when I press F5 in Notepad with my new keyboard. How can I get my new keyboard MS Comfort Wireless 5050 Desktop to give me a timestamp in Notepad?...