Windows 10: Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

Discus and support Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imcanadian, May 19, 2020.

1. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train Simulator (outdated but still can run the game) to Properties of this link. Then I change the line in Target box to add " train.exe -mem:1024 " from " launcher.exe " At last I clicked " Apply " to the changes on the bottom of the shortcut link Properties and get the message below:

Shortcut

/!\ Unable to save changes to 'Train Simulator.lnk'.

Access is denied.

I did the search online through Google Search and came up with so many helpful information about this but not sure which one is the right information to fix the shortcut link.

Your help would be appreciated.

My operating system is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit version and ver. 1909.

Thank you,

John

:)

imcanadian, May 19, 2020
  2. kkorotev Win User

Access Denied

EDIT: Here's a solution...
    Launch the shortcuts via CMD:

1. Right-click the shortcut to Properties
    2. Click Change Icon, then click OK when its window pops up (necessary step to avoid losing the icon)
    3. Add the following, plus a space, to the beginning of the Target field, leaving the existing path at the end:
      Code:
      Code:
      cmd /c start ""

I do this and the shortcut opens the command window

kkorotev, May 19, 2020
  3. Braxium Win User
    Problem with launching a .lnk shortcut using keyboard after the previous .lnk gets outdated

Hello,

I am experiencing the issue summarized as above. If this would be better suited for other topics, please say so. Here's how it goes in detail:

I want to use Alt + F1 to launch Opera Browser on my computer. This shortcut has worked for a while, but as I, by mistake, mapped the .exe file for the Opera build version rather than the launcher.exe file, the shortcut key became unusable as the shortcut
    key I have created for the previously created .lnk (then deleted) is now mapped to a non-existing file.

When I mapped another shortcut to launcher.exe (touchpad gesture, handy when I don't turn my touchpad off) the .lnk's launch shortcut never gets outdated, and I can remap the shortcut to anything else if i want to (Besides, this is a gesture rather than
    a keyboard shortcut so I could always delete that using the touchpad software regardless of the above case).

However, the current ghost .lnk file doesn't let go of my shortcut mapping, and whenever I try to launch the .lnk using my keyboard, I get a message to Run Program With... (i.e. the .lnk file is now treated as an .old file in the .../Start Menu/Programs
    folder). I *have* tried creating a dummy file using Notepad and modifying the file extension to create the "file" and then trying to open it up using Notepad, then deleting the file so it forgets the binding (In normal cases, when a .lnk file is deleted, the
    bound keyboard shortcut *should* be available for other programs to use - but in my case, since it is a "ghost" .lnk file, it is actually treated as the "owner" of that keyboard shortcut)

Additional note: I have also tried to open up the dummy file using the shortcut (.lnk files usually spawn some weird looking text that actually describes how the shortcut works when looked at) to see if the shortcut actually works that way, but a message
    is displayed: "Cannot find the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Opera Browser.lnk.1525450607.old file. Do you want to create a new file?"

Regardless of the action followed by this, Notepad proceeds to create an Untitled page and the message is repeated upon using the shortcut.

I am quite frustrated with this issue, and I've been trying to troubleshoot it myself for the last couple of weeks. Therefore "solutions" that involve:

- Deleting files

- Reinstalling software

- Logging in or out

will be disregarded as these simply won't work.

Solutions that involve registry editing might accelerate the process if anyone has an idea on how to actually use it for this purpose.

Thanks!

Braxium, May 19, 2020
  4. EsMj Win User

Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

Thema:

Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

1. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied - Similar Threads - Shortcut lnk Access

2. How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions

in Windows 10 Support
    How to expose *.lnk and other valid shortcut extensions: this is maddening folks, and I don't know a category here at tenforums that works for the question. I am having to go through every file due to a really bad problem with copy integrity, so using tools to fetch and order both healthy and damaged files. Links/shortcuts are...
  3. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  4. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

.lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  5. Access Denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied: I tried to turn on Windows Developer mode and it says "Access Denied". Can I get some help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied/cb69b709-417b-4627-bf8b-c0afe456548a
  6. Access Denied

Access Denied: Until a week or so ago I was able to go to the Argos website, but now I am refused with an Access Denied message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied/ca707c4d-a849-4099-8df1-dbd15ebbeb6d
  7. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  8. "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk)

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Win + R" "powershell" - Eliminar PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk): Buenas tardes, Tengo instalado Windows 10 versión 1803 (OS Build 17134.254) En un Surface laptop ---- Quiera saber donde localizar el PowerShell Shortcut (.lnk) que se ejecuta al entrar la combinación de teclas "Win + R" y escribir "powershell". La razón es que "jugando" con...
  9. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...
  10. How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?: Hi! I'm using MysticThumbs. There is possible to hide and show filetype icon overlay. I'm using also Stardock Fences - there's not this option. I have all set as show. Problem is that shortcut (LNK file) has not icon ovelay (small arrow) - but not everywhere - on desktop...