Windows 10: Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?

Discus and support Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was working on 4 documents, and saving regularly on Windows 10. I saved the documents at 22.29 at night, a message came up (which I didn't read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Suzanne Smyth, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?

I was working on 4 documents, and saving regularly on Windows 10. I saved the documents at 22.29 at night, a message came up (which I didn't read properly) I just clicked ok as I saved the last of the 4, and closed windows and shut down the laptop. In the morning the last of the 4 documents was not in the folder it had been located. The other 3 documents were where I expected them to be. The last document was not in 'recent files' when I opened word again, and when I did a quick search for the document, all that was retrieved was a shortcut, which when I went to its properties has no 'previous versions' to restore, the message also appears that "the item this XXX.docx refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly". I have tried two recovery downloads to search for the document with no success, although I may not have been using them correctly. I noticed in searching through my computer that Windows Defender was modified at 22.31 on the same night I attempted to save the doc. Does anyone know what that message might have been which I didn't see properly, and where I might have accidently sent the file? The shortcut target is "C:\Users\16117077\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState\Download".

I would love to know what I have done, and if there is any chance of finding the file again.

Thanks

:)

Suzanne Smyth, Apr 16, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Apr 16, 2019
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document? :)

terrace, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Suuper Win User

Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?

Shortcut to Documents

This link looked like it might be what I want: This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Unfortunately, it only hides the links. Using a shortcut to one of the folders still takes me to Thic PC -> [folder]

I found a way to get what I wanted, though. Through a combination of re-naming Documents, creating new folders, deleting Documents and re-naming the new folder to "Documents" I eventually got it. I'm not sure of the exact steps, but I had to delete "Documents" more than once to get it working.

Suuper, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?

1. Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document? - Similar Threads - Shortcut moved broken

2. Broken desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken desktop Shortcuts: Hi all,I have a problem with my desktop shortuts. When I restart my laptop and click on any shortcut, I get the below message.The program still opens, but the shortcut icon disappears and is now in my recycling bin. This happens everytime the laptop restarts with every...
  3. Anyone know how to move the document into any storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone know how to move the document into any storage?: Why everytime i moved it, this thing always popped up. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anyone-know-how-to-move-the-document-into-any/dae2263a-75c5-43d4-94fb-c19517bce626
  4. Anyone know how to move the document into any storage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone know how to move the document into any storage?: Why everytime i moved it, this thing always popped up. Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anyone-know-how-to-move-the-document-into-any/dae2263a-75c5-43d4-94fb-c19517bce626
  5. Broken system shortcuts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Broken system shortcuts: When I press Win key + R my run window comes up and I can run CMD from systen32 folder but when I open menu and go to windows system menu the shortcuts are white and do not open the programs. Same thing happens if I type run or command in menu, white shortcuts and do not open...
  6. Broken system shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken system shortcuts: When I press Win key + R my run window comes up and I can run CMD from systen32 folder but when I open menu and go to windows system menu the shortcuts are white and do not open the programs...
  7. Shortcuts broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcuts broken: [ATTACH] I recently updated my PC (yesterday) and all my shortcuts are now broken .url files.is there a way to fix this other than recreating the shortcuts? https://preview.redd.it/tm54cduglkp61.png?width=617&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9da703bce7a832077ee189d9a1262864c272beb...
  8. 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix: I'm having real problems with shortcuts to the 'My Documents' folder after a reinstall and then trying to move My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, Downloads etc. to a 2nd SSD drive. I followed advice, creating new folders and trying to use 'move' in 'properties' for each...
  9. Ctrl Shortcuts Broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Shortcuts Broken: They only break when I'm playing a game, but here's a list of things people told me and it didn't work. -updating drivers -running troubleshooter -sfc /scannow...
  10. Shortcut to Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to Documents: If I create a shortcut to my documents folder, or pin it to Quick Access or Start Menu, then the shortcut will take me to my Documents library, which is not what I want. (The annoyance comes from the fact that once there if I then decide to go somewhere that isn't in the...