Windows 10: Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

Discus and support Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tomas Mac Loughlin, May 16, 2023.

1. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with OneDrive. I keep copies stored locally in both computers, just in case. I often use shortcuts to folders and paste them in My Documents to easely access them. But now, when I create a shortcut in my home computers, it works, when I open it in my office computers, works - and when I try to open it again from my home computer, it stops working and the icon changes to a white piece of paper. When I open the shortcut propierties, the Target section

:)

Tomas Mac Loughlin, May 16, 2023
  2. Neal.S Win User

Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive

Inside of OneDrive I have created folders inside of folders, organizing all of my documents I work with on a daily basis. In some folders I need to shortcut to other folders within these folders. I hope I am not confusing here, But this worked very well
    for me on windows explorer on my desktop. Now working within OneDrive. If I do exactly as stated. The shortcuts work on my desktop, but when I go to my laptop and try to access the folders using the shortcut. The folder is not found. I can find the folder
    in OneDrive on my laptop if I go through the address path to get there, But the shortcut does not work.

Any idea's on how I can get these shortcuts to work? The same thing is reversed if I create the shortcut on my laptop and try using the shortcut on my desktop. I have a hunch it has something to do with the shortcut "path." Any help would be much appreciated!

Neal.S, May 16, 2023
  3. TarAn_D Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, May 16, 2023
  4. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

Shortcut keys only work when Desktop folder is child of OneDrive folder

I'm running insider preview build 19635.mn_release.200522-1435

I have a shortcut of Windows Terminal on my desktop. This shortcut was made by:

• Open run (Win + R) and run shell:AppsFolder.
    • Right click on Windows Terminal and choose Create shortcut.

My shortcut key is set to Ctrl + Alt + T, mimicking Ubuntu's implementation of the GNOME desktop environment. I was messing around with Windows Terminal trying to access my Desktop folder, when I discovered "C:/Users/blah/Desktop" didn't exist. Rather, Desktop
    was located in "C:/Users/blah/OneDrive". Moving Desktop to the Users/blah folder resulted in my shortcut being unresponsive. It seems that I can only Ctrl + Alt + T for Windows Terminal when the Desktop is a child of OneDrive.

Also, OneDrive is uninstalled. I don't particularly understand why Desktop gets moved to OneDrive upon Windows installation, it would make more sense to have OneDrive install without any setup. It's nothing but a hinderance if used for personal usage anyway.

Retr0gr4d3, May 16, 2023
Thema:

Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

1. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive - Similar Threads - Shortcut folder breaks

2. Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does there need to be a shortcut to OneDrive inside the Documents folder?: My Documents folder resides on OneDrive and locally on drive G: OneDrive. Why is there a shortcut to the OneDrive folder inside my Documents folder? Is this just some remaining debris after I removed OneDrive from my PC and then reloaded it everything is working fine now.....
  3. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive: Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with OneDrive. I keep copies stored locally in both computers, just in case. I often use shortcuts to folders and paste them in My...
  4. Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive

Shortcut to folder breaks using OneDrive: Hello,I use OneDrive to sync my files in my home Win 10 and work computers Win 11. Both computers have My Documents on the C drive, and synced with OneDrive. I keep copies stored locally in both computers, just in case. I often use shortcuts to folders and paste them in My...
  5. Can not create folder using shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not create folder using shortcut: Hello,I am using windows 10 pro and I can not create folder using its shortcut Ctrl+shift+n I can create folders using mouse right click but using shortcut is much easier my keyboard is working properly and my window is updated as well would be happy to hear your...
  6. Can not create folder using shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not create folder using shortcut: Hello,I am using windows 10 pro and I can not create folder using its shortcut Ctrl+shift+n I can create folders using mouse right click but using shortcut is much easier my keyboard is working properly and my window is updated as well would be happy to hear your...
  7. Can not create folder using shortcut

8. Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive

Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive: Inside of OneDrive I have created folders inside of folders, organizing all of my documents I work with on a daily basis. In some folders I need to shortcut to other folders within these folders. I hope I am not confusing here, But this worked very well for me on windows...
  9. Using Shared OneDrive Folders

Using Shared OneDrive Folders: My parents are luddites, so when it comes to keeping their photos organised and backed up, it's easier if I just do it for them. About a month ago Microsoft introduced the ability to use shared OneDrive folders from the desktop (Info Here). Therefore, it's crossed my mind...
  10. Create OneDrive folder Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create OneDrive folder Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create OneDrive folder Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a OneDrive folder Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC, tablet, or phone. This tutorial...