Windows 10: Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly

Discus and support Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have a shortcut to an Excel xlsm file which used to open it in Excel directly. Excel is the default for this extension. Recently the system pops up a... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by tcebob, Mar 13, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly

I have a shortcut to an Excel xlsm file which used to open it in Excel directly. Excel is the default for this extension. Recently the system pops up a verification window, which is a nuisance. Using Office 16, 3/07/19.

Here's the shortcut:

Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly [​IMG]

And here's the response:

Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly [​IMG]

How can I convince Windows to accept the default automatically?

:)

tcebob, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Need to find an unconventinally filed C: xxxx..xlsm

Hi Jay,

You can search for the file in your C: drive by following these steps:

1. Press Windows key + E on your keyboard to open Windows Explorer.
    2. On the left-hand pane, click This PC and select C: (or where you want to look for a file).
    3. On the upper-right hand of the window, you should see a text box with the text
      Search Windows C: (or what is the current directory of your folder).
    4. Type in the text box the name of the file you want to search for. You can also search for the extension of the file. Type .xlsm and that will show all files that have that kind of extension.

Update me if you've found the file.

Ian Ser, Mar 13, 2019
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly :)

terrace, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly

1. Shortcut to xlsm file not working correctly - Similar Threads - Shortcut xlsm file

2. FOLDER shortcut not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FOLDER shortcut not working correctly: When I create a shortcut on the desktop of a folder not a file when I click to access the folder, it does not go to the folder but to the Windows Explorer that shows the files and icons on the desktop, the funny thing is that This does not happen with two external hard...
  3. FOLDER shortcut not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FOLDER shortcut not working correctly: When I create a shortcut on the desktop of a folder not a file when I click to access the folder, it does not go to the folder but to the Windows Explorer that shows the files and icons on the desktop, the funny thing is that This does not happen with two external hard...
  4. Shortcut to local folder not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut to local folder not working correctly: I have a SAN drive on my local network, and have it mapped as "X:" I have mapped my Documents and Downloads folders to that drive. Works great. When I click on Downloads in File Explorer it takes me to the folder on the SAN.BUT, I also have a Downloads folder on my local C:...
  5. Shortcut to local folder not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut to local folder not working correctly: I have a SAN drive on my local network, and have it mapped as "X:" I have mapped my Documents and Downloads folders to that drive. Works great. When I click on Downloads in File Explorer it takes me to the folder on the SAN.BUT, I also have a Downloads folder on my local C:...
  6. Offline Files not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files not working correctly: I have a Windows 10 machine at home which I use as my file server since it's on most of the time. Other Windows 10 client machines on my home network have their user folders such as Documents, Music etc... pointed to this file server. In trying to make the 'Documents' folder...
  7. Appinstaller file is not working correctly

Appinstaller file is not working correctly: On Windows 10, I get the following error below when trying install my program via the .appinstaller. 1 You can see in the .appinstaller xml file that the file is correct and not as reported 2 The MSIX file itself can be downloaded without issue in Developer mode....
  8. User Files Not Working Correctly??

User Files Not Working Correctly??: I'm not quite sure what to label this problem and I'm not too tech savvy so bear with me here. So I first noticed this problem today when I saw that several new shortcuts were added to my desktop called "Network" "This PC" "Control Panel" and another file that had my name on...
  9. Keyboard shortcut not working correctly. Help?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard shortcut not working correctly. Help?: On past Windows computers I have frequently used Alt + F4 to close my current activity. That shortcut is still shown in the list of keyboard shortcuts, but when I use it rather than closing anything it just shows the volume slider bar. Help?...
  10. Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path?: I just upgraded to an M.2 and I was trying to save space so after I installed all the drivers and updated windows I went into the registry and pointed the instillation path to my D drive to install programs that don't give you the option to choose the install location like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 desktop excel file shortcuts not working

2. excel file shortcut not working