Windows 10: Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit

Discus and support Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Working on a system that creates folders and files on a network share and then creates URL files Internet Shortcut that point to these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by peter daniels, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit

Windows 10

Working on a system that creates folders and files on a network share and then creates URL files Internet Shortcut that point to these files. I have enabled long file paths in Windows using gpedit and/or regedit. I am at least able to create the long path folders >248 and file paths >259 using the \\?\UNC prefix. Unfortunately, the URL files that I create that point to these files after URI encoding are not usable. I tried LNK files, too. Both of these seem to still retain the file path limitations. Is there a way around thise or another technique I can use to create a "shortcut" to long file paths?

TIA,

-Peter

:)

peter daniels, Jan 20, 2020

2. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Path length limit

I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so?

JohnRamos2, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit

Path length limit

Hello John,

My name is Patricia and I am an Independent Advisor. I am here to help you today.

Disable the path limit length is recommended after Python setup is successful, because if python was installed in a directory with a path length greater than 260 characters, adding it to the path could fail.

So don't worry about that action and proceed to it.

Patricia.Guenot, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit

1. Shortcut URL and LNK files seem to have file path length limit - Similar Threads - Shortcut URL LNK

2. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  3. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  4. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Lesser-known effect of path-length limitation in File Explorer in Windows 10

Lesser-known effect of path-length limitation in File Explorer in Windows 10: Occasionally users encounter an error when dealing with files saved in deep directory structures, due to a limit on the maximum length of a path including filename in File Explorer, which is effectively 259 characters excluding a requirednull terminator. I have seen the...
  6. Limited File Name Length Problems

Limited File Name Length Problems: Windows 10. I am trying to rename a file with a name that is 92 characters long (letters, numbers, and hyphens). I am copying the name from a file folder name and attempting to past that name as the rename for a jpeg. It cuts off the last thirty Characters. I tried typing the...
  7. Path length limit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Path length limit: I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/path-length-limit/412d48cd-7ddf-435a-9935-cf51af16f8a4
  8. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  9. .lnk files

.lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....
  10. Blank page icons overlaying .lnk and .url files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank page icons overlaying .lnk and .url files on desktop: As the title says I have blank pages overlaying only some file extension types. Here is a preview: [img] I have tried everything on forums so far but haven't managed to sort it out. That includes downloading and merging the .reg files for those file types. I'm not a...