Windows 10: Shortcut using file moving program

Discus and support Shortcut using file moving program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I've recently bought a new hard drive and want to move some programs and files off of my OS drive to make some room. however, moving them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RedSolarflareRuby, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Shortcut using file moving program

Hello, I've recently bought a new hard drive and want to move some programs and files off of my OS drive to make some room. however, moving them manually would break multiple programs in annoying to fix ways; I've used niche programs like steam mover that use console shortcuts to allow files to be moved without breaking their associated programs, but am unable to find a similar program for general usage.

TLDR: Any recommendations for file moving programs that can create shortcuts?

submitted by /u/RedSolarflareRuby
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RedSolarflareRuby, Nov 28, 2020
  2. _33
    _33 Win User

I want to move "Program Files"

I thank you for the first suggestion, and thank you even more with the more interesting second suggestion, where I won't need to play with registry entries and messing around with the various ways windows is organized from it's root structure.

I haven't yet got the courage to MOVE my programs files to another drive but the setup I'm in is ready to do so. Thoe, the idea of creating a shortcut on the C: for the Program Files that would be located on another drive really seemed like something simple, and that could work. It's like those programs that are located on the start menu, they are shortcuts to the executable. Or the various folders that are shortcuts to other folders. I can see that in Program Files where some microsoft folders are just shortcuts to the real content located on the Windows directory.

If I need to try this tool you are talking about, then I'll do it tomorrow. I'll put this on the ice for now. But it's all interesting stuff none the less.

EDIT: I just tried something. I created a shortcut on the C: of a directory located on my F: drive called _stuff. I now have C:_stuff which is a shortcut to the real directory on the F:. I move a file from C: called ip.txt into the shortcut C:_stuff. That works. Yet, if I search my C: drive for ip.txt, it will not find it in the shortcut.

3. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 28, 2020
  4. terrace Win User

Shortcut using file moving program

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Shortcut using file moving program :)

terrace, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Shortcut using file moving program

1. Shortcut using file moving program - Similar Threads - Shortcut using file

2. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive: Hi. I want to ask if everything will work if I move files located in documents to another drive by moving docs to another drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-game-and-program-files-to-another-drive-by/8edaacc9-c8fb-4128-a462-caedfe862288
  3. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive: Hi. I want to ask if everything will work if I move files located in documents to another drive by moving docs to another drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-game-and-program-files-to-another-drive-by/8edaacc9-c8fb-4128-a462-caedfe862288
  4. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program: Trying to rearrange folders in a drive and get this notice every time. How do I find where it is open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cans-move-filefolder-because-it-is-in-use-in/81e9506e-de4b-4735-8066-c39c31fe614d
  6. can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program: Trying to rearrange folders in a drive and get this notice every time. How do I find where it is open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cans-move-filefolder-because-it-is-in-use-in/81e9506e-de4b-4735-8066-c39c31fe614d
  7. Moving games/program files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving games/program files: Hi, is there anyway to move games/programs that are installed in C to D without screwing up the registry? submitted by /u/meerdroovt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ixrzna/moving_gamesprogram_files/
  8. Using Win10 shortcut to switch active program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using Win10 shortcut to switch active program: The two programs I use most often are Outlook and Firefox, and I often need to switch between them. I don't want both programs displayed on the same screen. When I was using Win7 there was no difference whether I switched with my mouse or with the keyboard. Now however...
  9. Moving Program Files folder

Moving Program Files folder: I have a 240GB SSD which has windows on it and i also have a 960GB SSD which i would like to use for installing programs, so that my OS boots fast. I have already transferred "Documents,Music, Videos, Pictures, Downloads and Desktop". Is there a way to move the Program...
  10. Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder

Files converted to shortcuts when moved to a folder: I wanted to declutter my desktop, so I created a new folder on the desktop then highlighted and dragged/dropped a bunch of stuff into that folder. None of the things I dragged/dropped were shortcuts. I save most things directly to my desktop for easy access. So everything...