Windows 10: shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar

Discus and support shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just installed Windows 10 - totally successful BUT: no shortcuts/links work in start menu, desktop or taskbar except for links to modern UI apps. Even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by slaterish, Jul 29, 2015.

1. slaterish Win User

shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar

Just installed Windows 10 - totally successful BUT: no shortcuts/links work in start menu, desktop or taskbar except for links to modern UI apps. Even weirder - shortcuts work if palced in saem directory as the target file/exe but not if then moved elsewhere, like desktop. And even weirder - right clicking a short cut and selecting open or run as administrator don't work, but selecting 'run with graphics card' does work...

I've tried every conceivable setting and nothing works. going crazy. This is installed on a Dell laptop.

Please help....

don

:)

slaterish, Jul 29, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Microsoft Edge

Try right clicking the Edge shortcut on the start menu, select 'More' and see if 'Pin to Taskbar' is there

If it is not, follow this method:

Drag Edge shortcut from Start Menu to the desktop (don't worry this only duplicates the shortcut)

The right click the shortcut on the desktop and select 'Pin to Taskbar'

You can then delete the shortcut on the desktop if you wish . . .

I hope this is the answer you are looking for!

DaveM121, Jul 29, 2015
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

DonCochron - The link I gave you in my post above does work to pin an IE web site shortcut to either the Taskbar or the Start screen or both. I just tested it and it works perfectly. Specifically what kind of a shortcut are you wanting to pin to the
    Taskbar? I have succeeded in pinning IE shortcuts and file shortcuts to the Taskbar and Start screen. Please tell me what you need and I'll try to help.

DavidDubya, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar

1. shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar - Similar Threads - shortcuts don't start

2. my window won't start and shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my window won't start and shortcuts don't work: when I turn on my computer instead of seeing the lock screen a dark screen with the cursor on it appears and shortcuts don't workI tried to turn my computer off and on but it didn't workI use Windows 11 the problem happened after an updateplease help me...
  3. my window won't start and shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my window won't start and shortcuts don't work: when I turn on my computer instead of seeing the lock screen a dark screen with the cursor on it appears and shortcuts don't workI tried to turn my computer off and on but it didn't workI use Windows 11 the problem happened after an updateplease help me...
  4. Keyboard shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard shortcuts don't work: Hello, i have windows 10 with HP Omen, and one day shortcuts like win+shift+C for screenshot or win+R stopped working. They always worked bad, from time to time, but now they dont work at all. i tried to reinstall keyboard drivers but it doesn't help. please help me...
  5. The shortcuts on taskbar won’t work

in Windows 10 Customization
    The shortcuts on taskbar won’t work: I am clicking on the icons on the Taskbar but they are not working! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-shortcuts-on-taskbar-wont-work/58424e83-b90f-4d86-8b8e-9adf86408e10
  6. Shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts don't work: Hi, for some reason my shortcuts don't connect but I haven't changed anything. How can I fix this?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcuts-dont-work/67e2dd11-ef76-46fa-96e6-42e746c515d4
  7. desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working: Desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-and-taskbar-shortcuts-not-working/0a60d373-afe7-4835-86b4-b97a67c39fd8
  8. Start don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start don't work: If I right click the start I will get a menu but if I left click the start nothing happens. How can I fix this? 28393
  9. Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand?

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I'm used to clicking a single icon (no text) shortcut to open a browser for example, and then a new window opens as well as a new taskbar window. In Windows 10 however it seems the shortcut icon simple expands with text and...
  10. Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Menu and Taskbar Don't Work: Hi, on occasion when I mouse over either the start bar or the taskbar it doesn't change colour like it usually does (the little blue background it changes to for instance) and it doesn't let me click on them. As well as this, it doesn't let me click on any window that isn't...