Windows 10: Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved

Discus and support Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. For some shortcuts that I have placed on the desktop when I move them to a different folder they shortcut icon turns white. This does not happen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andyouf, Sep 18, 2018.

1. andyouf Win User

Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved

Hi. For some shortcuts that I have placed on the desktop when I move them to a different folder they shortcut icon turns white. This does not happen for every application where I will move the shortcut but for some.

Example: GPU-Z icon on desktop looks fine. Moved to "Game" folder on desktop now it is a blank white icon. MSI Afterburner icon on desktop look fine. Moved to "Game" folder on desktop and icon is retained. Just coming off a fresh install of Windows.

:)

andyouf, Sep 18, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

Sometime ago I installed the latest version of GPU-Z, started up my laptop the next day and noticed that the GPU-Z shortcut icon was white, I tried to find the icon in GPU-Z.exe but it said: "GPU-Z.exe contains no icons".
    I hope I the icon will return in the next version.

P4-630, Sep 18, 2018
  3. rivre Win User
    Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

This made no difference. What I found is it doesn't show the icon if my folder view is set to list mode. If I change view mode to Icon mode, then the icons are visible in whatever size I select in view mode.

However, if I go through the procedure I listed above, then it does give me the tiny icon that is viewable in list mode. But I have to select the icon manually, every time, twice, before it is visible. Otherwise the icon is a generic shortcut icon. Why is this? This wasn't the case with Windows 7. Even in list view I could move the shortcut and the icon would carry over. This is a lot of extra work for every shortcut I move.

It also doesn't seem to happen for every shortcut. Some shortcuts carry over with the icon showing and some I have to manually select the icon for it to display.

rivre, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved

Is there any way to get the original icons to display again after the shortcuts are moved into a folder?

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Please be informed, the view of files, folders, shortcuts etc. will be set to small icons by default, due to which you will not be able to see the shortcut's icon.

I suggest you to follow these steps:

• Click on View
      menu in the menu bar.

• Select either of these options
      medium, large or extra-large icons and you will be able to see the icon of the shortcut.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved

1. Shortcuts Icons Turn White When Moved - Similar Threads - Shortcuts Icons Turn

2. Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%: On Windows 11 all my Desktop .url shortcut icons for Steam and Epic games have gone white, not the icon they should be.I worked out in Display Settings if I set the Scale to 200% or lower the icons display. Any higher 300% is recommended by Windows 11 and they turn to a white...
  3. Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 shortcut icons white when scaling over 200%: On Windows 11 all my Desktop .url shortcut icons for Steam and Epic games have gone white, not the icon they should be.I worked out in Display Settings if I set the Scale to 200% or lower the icons display. Any higher 300% is recommended by Windows 11 and they turn to a white...
  4. Windows 10 turned white and highlighting icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 turned white and highlighting icons: It seems like sort of accessibility mode. But I can't figure out how to turn it off. Windows 10 became white: white background, white taskbar, and when you hover over the icons in the taskbar it highlights them in blue. What is it? Thanks 158775
  5. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...
  6. Windows apps icons turn white when used as a desktop shortcut:

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows apps icons turn white when used as a desktop shortcut:: This issue pertains to app icons turning white when used as a desktop shortcut. It always happens after a reboot and sometimes after sleep mode. This problem never happens with regular program icons, just apps. I haven't been able to find a specific answer to this issue. Any...
  7. Shortcut Icons Have Turned Black!

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Icons Have Turned Black!: All my shortcut icons have turned black! Can't seem to do anything about it. Help! 126768
  8. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173
  9. Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon: This is my first week with Windows 10 and I'm just starting to install my software. Usually I move the desktop shortcut created from software installation to a custom folder where I keep all my shortcuts organized by category. In Windows 10, if I move the shortcut from the...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...