Windows 10: Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow

Discus and support Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently I started seeing a change in my desktop shortcuts. There should be an arrow in the lower-right corner of each shortcut icon. But lately I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow

Recently I started seeing a change in my desktop shortcuts.
    There should be an arrow in the lower-right corner of each shortcut icon.
    But lately I'm seeing an X appear there. That's the left-hand image seen here ...

Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow [​IMG]

When I refresh the desktop (right-click > Refresh) the normal arrow re-appears. That's the right-hand image, above.

This "X" thing affects all shortcuts on the desktop.
    It appears intermittently.
    It disappears after a refresh.
    It reappears randomly.

Whuzzup with that?

:)

margrave55, Nov 28, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Desktop Arrow Symbols

The arrow symbol in your screen capture is the standard arrow for a shortcut, it does not mean compression !!

For a step by step registry hack to remove these standard shortcut arrows -
    Click HERE

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2020
  3. tigger Win User
    tigger, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow

Since Oct. 2016 updates of Windows 10, desktop folders (which are not shortcuts) have shortcut arrows. Carbonite green dots are gone.

Since the Oct. 2016 updates of Windows 10, desktop folders (which are not shortcuts) have shortcut arrows. The Carbonite green dots are no longer visible. Big problem for me. It is as though the Carbonite green dots have been replaced by shortcut arrows.
    Sometimes there is a gray X instead of the shortcut arrow. It seems to mean something is not backed up in Carbonite. I contacted Carbonite and they said it is not their problem, it is Microsoft's problem. Feels like it's my problem.

KimberlyWhitfield, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow

1. Shortcuts on desktop: X instead of arrow - Similar Threads - Shortcuts desktop instead

2. Shortcuts on desktop repeatedly cycle between checkmark, X, account, and down arrow symbols

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcuts on desktop repeatedly cycle between checkmark, X, account, and down arrow symbols: Hello,Shortcuts normally have a little arrow symbol in the bottom left of their icon, to show it's a shortcut. A little over a week ago, all the shortcuts on my desktop started periodically cycling between a down arrow symbol, then what looks like an accounts symbol, to a...
  3. Shortcuts on desktop repeatedly cycle between checkmark, X, account, and down arrow symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts on desktop repeatedly cycle between checkmark, X, account, and down arrow symbols: Hello,Shortcuts normally have a little arrow symbol in the bottom left of their icon, to show it's a shortcut. A little over a week ago, all the shortcuts on my desktop started periodically cycling between a down arrow symbol, then what looks like an accounts symbol, to a...
  4. Shortcuts on desktop repeatedly cycle between checkmark, X, account, and down arrow symbols

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  6. Shortcut arrows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut arrows: How to remove shortcut arrows in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-arrows/e8445720-f95a-4605-a968-5b76569c5b9b
  7. Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove shortcut arrow icon ONLY ON DESKTOP?: Is there a way to remove the shortcut arrow icon from shortcuts, but only on the desktop? So I could still see them in explorer which is useful, but it would make the desktop look a lot cleaner. submitted by /u/KingofHeck [link] [comments]...
  8. Shortcut arrow

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut arrow: How remove shortcut arrows from desktop icons in Win10 ? 8484
  9. Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Arrows on desktop shortcuts have disappeared: As the title says ... the arrows on my desktop shortcuts have disappeared. I don't know why. And not all of them are gone. [img] Whuzzup with all that? 104717
  10. Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icon arrow disappeared: [img] <-Before [img] <-After I upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and I've noticed something strange happening. When I boot up my computer, the desktop looks fine, but after a while, the little arrow overlays at the bottom left corner of the shortcut icons disappear....