Windows 10: Shortcuts to programs not working

Discus and support Shortcuts to programs not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a PC running Windows 10 1903 on a 512Gb SSD with 8Gb of memory. Desktop shortcuts are no longer operational. Even if I go to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by R0ryS, Jun 16, 2020.

1. R0ryS Win User

Shortcuts to programs not working

Greetings,

I have a PC running Windows 10 1903 on a 512Gb SSD with 8Gb of memory.

Desktop shortcuts are no longer operational. Even if I go to the program file location and double click on the program file nothing happens.

If I right click on the Windows icon and select "Run" and type in the program file executable name eg. winword.exe then press "Enter" the program will run perfectly.

The following has been done to the computer:

• SFC /scannow was run
    • DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth was run
    • DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth was run
    • DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth was run
    • Office repair was run
    • UAC was turned off
    • Disk Cleanup was run and all the items cleaned including System Files.
    • All updates have been run on Windows 10 version 1903

This issue is affecting Microsoft Office, Visio and Adobe programs. Other programs are working.

Any constructive ideas on resolving this issue will be appreciated.

:)

R0ryS, Jun 16, 2020
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Shortcuts to programs not working :)

terrace, Jun 21, 2020
  3. oemSoft Win User
    How to add shortcut into start?

Can you read their instruction? that is not clear at all.

Under %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it only shows Folders : Maintnance, Windows Powershell, Windows System, Windows System Tools ... Start up.
    There is no a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. I cannot follow their instruction, if you understand, could you please show your steps?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

"Opening that folder should display a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. In this example, we want to add all the new shortcuts into a subfolder called Settings, so right-click any empty space in the File Explorer window, click New
    > Folder, name that folder Settings, and open the newly created, empty folder.

The rest of the process is straightforward. Right-click and choose New > Shortcut. Enter the full path of the executable file or ms-settings shortcut you want to add (as in the example shown here), click Next, and then enter a name for the shortcut.

Repeat this process for any other shortcuts you want to add. All your custom shortcuts should appear in the Programs list, where they're one right-click away from being pinned as a tile."

oemSoft, Jun 21, 2020
  4. grecinos Win User

Windows 10 shortcut key not working - Please help

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a shortcut key for a program/script that turns off my monitor. I've confirmed that the small program is working by double clicking on it. The problem I'm having is that when I go to create a shortcut key for it. First I create a shortcut to the program, then I set a shortcut key, say "ctrl-shift-s". After applying the changes, clicking Ok, I try to use the shortcut by pressing the ctrl-shift-s key combination. When I do this, nothing happens. I've confirmed that shortcut keys works with other apps like the Command Prompt. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Cheers,

grecinos

grecinos, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Shortcuts to programs not working - Similar Threads - Shortcuts programs working

2. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  3. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  4. Run program as admin shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run program as admin shortcut: Hi , I have a program that is really slow loading for a standard user , but when I right click, run as admin - put my admin creds in programs loads fastSo I can create a shortcut to this program on desktop , that is always run as admin and the user doesn’t need to type in...
  5. Run program as admin shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Run program as admin shortcut: Hi , I have a program that is really slow loading for a standard user , but when I right click, run as admin - put my admin creds in programs loads fastSo I can create a shortcut to this program on desktop , that is always run as admin and the user doesn’t need to type in...
  6. Program launch shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program launch shortcuts don't work: Height What I want is to launch programs, such as Notepad, using the key combination. The instructions are pretty clear: - create a shortcut on the desktop. — Click properties, put the cursor in the "shortcut key" and select key. - hit 'apply' — You then have a...
  7. Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running: I am using Windows 10, my keyboard shortcuts only work if another program is running, which is inconvenient since I use the shortcuts to launch every program I use regularly. I have tried researching but apparently google and I are having communication problems. Any guidance...
  8. Shortcuts fail to launch the program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts fail to launch the program: For a few days now every time I double click a shortcut the screen flashes off then back on and the program fails to start. If I right click the program and chose properties to look at the shortcut I get the same thing. When I do this with taskmanager open "Windows Problem...
  9. Question regarding program shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question regarding program shortcuts: I have a computer running Windows 10 that is multi-user for both me and my wife. When I install a program as the administrator under my account and set up a shortcut on my desktop the same shortcut shows up on my wife's (limited user account). So she ends up with a bunch of...
  10. Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?: I am transcribing audio, I have an audio program running in the background while I have a text program open to do the typing. I use ctrl + , as a shortcut in the audio program a lot, its the rewind function, but as it is, I have to keep switching out of the text program to...