Windows 10: shorten a file path

Discus and support shorten a file path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cathytaylor4, Jul 25, 2019.

1. shorten a file path

i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?

:)

cathytaylor4, Jul 25, 2019

2. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Jul 25, 2019
  4. oily_17 Win User

shorten a file path

Add a path to $PATH?

To add ~/bin to $PATH try this -

EDIT: Source

oily_17, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

shorten a file path

1. shorten a file path - Similar Threads - shorten file path

2. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  3. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  4. Batch shorten file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch shorten file names: Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is...
  5. Batch shorten file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch shorten file names: Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is...
  6. file explorer shortening file names after last "."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer shortening file names after last ".": We save files that frequently have multiple decimals in them ex. apple.1.2.3, and renaming the names is kinda out of the question. After we save the file, we typically use microsoft print to pdf, or adobe pdf to save a pdf of the view. The issue with this is that when it...
  7. Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?: We are currently using Network Locations to access our company SharePoint files. We decided to use Network Location instead of OneDrive, because OneDrive has a delay of 5-15 between a person uploading a file and other people seeing the file on their file explorer.However, we...
  8. File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Displaying Shortened File Name: I am trying to open some .tif files through Windows File Explorer and when it opens the complete file name does not show up instead it is like a shortened version..I have tried going into the registry editor and change the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to 1 but it still isn't...
  9. How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?: i have backups with >256 characters how do reorganize without losing my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-shorten-a-path-and-not-lose-my-data-in/13b41854-689f-4770-920d-98c40ce5df25
  10. Shorten notifications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shorten notifications: I'm looking for a way to shorten notifications. The grey boxes with information. They linger for about twice as long as I'd like and whenever I mouse over them it resets the too-long clock. The only information I can find is for making them longer. Thank you. submitted by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 how to shorten file path