Windows 10: Shortened startup followed by freeze

Discus and support Shortened startup followed by freeze in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I need help from the clever people out there. Every time I switch on my PC, it goes through a shortened startup (no startup tune, no checking Steam... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nipper, Dec 28, 2015.

1. nipper Win User

Shortened startup followed by freeze

Hi, I need help from the clever people out there. Every time I switch on my PC, it goes through a shortened startup (no startup tune, no checking Steam etc) which is very quick. Some time after this, the PC freezes and I have to hold the on/off button to switch off and restart. There is no obvious trigger for the freeze. When it restarts, the sequence is 'normal' and everything is fine until the next time. I have ploughed through loads of forums and posts but have not found a solution. Can anyone help?

:)

nipper, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Thinks58 Win User

CMD window opens on startup, followed by "trust this device" message by Cortana

I have this issue too. And it is annoying because Cortana's creator (The Creator) did not instill in her the Knowledge and foresight that mere mortals may, at times, require a little more information in order to answer her questions.

With all due respect and humility, may I suggest that ,when Cortana asks me whether I trust a device or not, she should also inform me which blessed device she's talking about? Like a Manufacturer's name, or Drive Letter... or IP address? something? anything?
    How many syllables? Sounds like?

Future Cortana improvement perhaps?

Thanks!

Thinks58, Dec 28, 2015
  3. Aisolon Win User
    CMD window opens on startup, followed by "trust this device" message by Cortana

That is so good to know. This exact scenario happened twice already, with a clean windows reinstall inbetween. I opened this when it happened the first time. Is the black window I saw part of this?

Im still kinda worried as a community moderator over at the german forums told me this:

If you distrust or dont confirm your account you will have to expect disadvantages. No sync, no fully functional Cortana. If you do this your PC will be continued to be viewed as insecure and you will get messages of abuse very often. It could be that your
    account gets blocked due to abuse.

Now this naturally scared me, thinking that I had run into another function thats not the "trusted devices" function.

If I choose to not trust this device, will I face any of the consequences the other Mod listed? Or will it be like stated at the official trusted devices FAQ, that I merely have to give them a security code sent to me by Email whenever I want to access sensitive
    information.

Thanks for caring.

Aisolon, Dec 28, 2015
  4. XweAponX Win User

The abbreviated startup sounds like it may be loading a "Temporary Profile", but I don't know why it would be freezing.

The next time this happens, take note of the exact time it occurred. Then when you get the system booted normally, you can check your Event Logs for System and Applications, If a temp profile was loaded, it should say in the logs. Go to the exact time the problem was noted and see what errors are logged.

You are lucky that you can come back up to your regular user profile. If it ends up a temp profile was loaded, you can move your entire user folder to a new user. Search the Tutorials for "Temporary Profile", there should be a tutorial for it. But if this keeps happening, note the time, check your logs and post any errors you find here and we'll take a look at them.

Since you mentioned "Steam" you should run any diagnostics in that to see if that's the problem. Your system might be just slightly too slow to play whatever games you have installed. If you can, try removing Steam and see if it continues. Then you can re-install it. I've had problems with Steam before, I've had to totally remove it. But there shoudl be a way to fix it if it has become corrupted.

Also get CCleaner, you might have a bunch of junk temp files. Here's the link for the temporary profile tutorial:

You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix

XweAponX, Dec 28, 2015
  5. nipper Win User
    Thanks for your response. There is nothing in the event viewer about a temporary profile. There is one critical event, but that only relates to the PC rebooting without a clean shut down...I'm guessing that will be me holding the on/off button for 5 seconds once the PC has frozen. There are a number of errors mentioned, which mean nothing to me (sorry). If I copy them to this thread, it will be about 20 pages long so that's probably not a good idea. I have run CCCleaner to no avail, and Malware Fighter, Advanced System Care 9 and Driver Booster 3. Did a big windows update yesterday evening and when the PC re-booted it didn't crash and I thought that had cured it...but...started it up this evening to find shortened startup plus freeze (no BSOD). AAARRRgh.

nipper, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Check your RELIABILTY HISTORY and see if there are any errors in it and then if there are,select one at a time and go through the Technical details.The quickest way is to type in reliability in the search box.

joeandmarg0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Shortened startup followed by freeze - Similar Threads - Shortened startup followed

2. Application Freezing on Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application Freezing on Startup: Greetings, I'm encountering a frustrating issue where one of my essential applications freezes every time I attempt to launch it. This problem started occurring suddenly without any recent changes to my system. I've tried reinstalling the application and updating my operating...
  3. The following startup drivers are not loaded: dam.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The following startup drivers are not loaded: dam.: Hello. In my event log, there is information that a certain DAM driver was not loaded. What is this driver? I have acer nitro 5 with windows 11 installed from the factory. There are no problems or failures in the laptop....
  4. The following startup drivers are not loaded: dam.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The following startup drivers are not loaded: dam.: Hello. In my event log, there is information that a certain DAM driver was not loaded. What is this driver? I have acer nitro 5 with windows 11 installed from the factory. There are no problems or failures in the laptop....
  5. Freeze on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freeze on startup: Windows 10 just started freezing at startup on Dell Lattitude... tried booting up in safe mode... tried uninstalling updates... tried booting up without driver signatures... tried reinstalling windows & froze before finishing...Any suggestions?...
  6. receiving following error message at startup:...

receiving following error message at startup:...: receiving following error message at startup: "C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receiving-following-error-message-at-startup/74758ebf-b166-4233-b5e9-db5665355d7e
  7. receiving the following error upon startup...

receiving the following error upon startup...: receiving the following error upon startup "c:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receiving-the-following-error-upon-startup/12367a3b-1ad3-4dbd-aef4-e53bfa60fbf9
  8. Shorten notifications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shorten notifications: I'm looking for a way to shorten notifications. The grey boxes with information. They linger for about twice as long as I'd like and whenever I mouse over them it resets the too-long clock. The only information I can find is for making them longer. Thank you. submitted by...
  9. Pc freezes on startup

Pc freezes on startup: Good day, so yesterday i performed a reboot of my system because it was becoming too laggy and everything seemedto go great afterwards. This morning i attempted to switch on my pc but it froze immediately after turnitu it on. The only two things i can do is enter the BIOS...
  10. shorten a file path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shorten a file path: i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?...