Windows 10: Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

Discus and support Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've had issues with File History ever since upgrading to the Anniversary windows 10 Pro. I can manually Run File History. It also saves a few times a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Dirty Butter, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

I've had issues with File History ever since upgrading to the Anniversary windows 10 Pro. I can manually Run File History. It also saves a few times a day, even though I have it set for the default 1 hour.

Should there be an entry of some kind in Task Scheduler corresponding to 1 hour start of File History? If so, since it's not doing it, is there a way to force the correct schedule?

If not in Task Scheduler, is there a Registry entry I can tweak to get the hourly backup?

:)

Dirty Butter, Sep 13, 2016
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

File History - Does not turn off

I have turned OFF File History. When I check Task Schedule history dates, it shows the listings of having backed up File History. Why is that? I use Windows 10

I do have File History as a scheduled event, but the set scheduled times do not coincide with the history dates. Moreover, by turning OFF File History it would seem the schedule setting should not work.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Sep 13, 2016
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    File History - Does not turn off

Thanks again for your suggestion. Most of the items mentioned were mentioned in your previous post.

As I mentioned in my original post, File History shows history entries in my Task Schedule menu History listings even though I have turned it off. Now, I did notice one other entry in the History listing. The History listing said “Maintenance Mode.” So,
    I wonder if that mode reacts differently and rejects my File History Off and Task Schedule settings and lists File History listings under a different parameter. That may account for the history dates not agreeing with File History and Task Schedule dates.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Sep 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? [​IMG]

That's info related to my task scheduler.
    I don't use File History, so I assume this may change when you set it up.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  5. Thanks for that. I attempted to add the task to the scheduler, since there's nothing at all that looks like what you showed. in my Scheduler. But I don't understand what the trigger would be, and scheduler doesn't seem to allow hourly actions.

6. I'm doing a Search for File History through the Registry, and I still see keys dealing with the external drive that quit working with Build 1607. Maybe that's the problem.

7. dalchina New Member

that's the task scheduler view

and that's how you'd set it up and I suspect create the task

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  8. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

OK - I didn't see the Folder View until you added the screenshot. So it IS scheduled, but just daily. Adding the hourly from the File History, however, is NOT working.

I'm doing a Search for File History through the Registry, and I still see keys dealing with the external drive I was using for File History that quit working with Build 1607. Maybe that's the problem.

9. dalchina New Member
    When you connect the drive, can you see it normally in file explorer? Some have reported issues with drives with the upgrade.

What happens if you start File History and specify that drive as your backup?

You shouldn't be manually changing the schedule. Make sure it's as it was before you do the above.

Trick to make sure your external drive ALWAYS gets the same drive letter:
    a. connect it
    b. in disk management, change its drive letter to (e.g.) R - one you'd never otherwise use).

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  10. I didn't change anything in the Scheduler.

You helped me in another thread when my other external drive stopped working on the Anniversary upgrade.
    I'm now using a different external drive that is properly recognized.
    File History works properly IF I reboot or manually click on Run. The default hourly schedule is set as expected. BUT it does NOT save every hour.

11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  12. "BUT it does NOT save every hour. - how have you determined that?"

I Run it manually and then check back after more than an hour - and I see that it is not running and has not run since the manual one.

Dirty Butter, Sep 14, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

I use File History and often leave my backup drive disconnected for days on end (normally until it bugs me to plug it in again). When I connect it it then writes all the changes to the backup drive. I imagine (based on the link above) that it does the same if it is connected - keeps the changes in it's cache and only writes to disk when it determines you aren't using the PC too much.

Are you concerned about it not writing to the backup disk every hour or are you missing changed documents? If the latter then most likely so am I...

I've changed File History to save every 10 minutes. I'll make a document and will change and save it every 10 minutes to see if that is really true though. We will see in an hour or so...

14. dalchina New Member
    To ask a more exact question:
    Have you tried changing a file, then after a bit more than an hour, tried recovering it from backup and then found the backup did not include the change?

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  15. I've done that previously, but just to be sure I've just created a file. Will reply after an hour.

Dirty Butter, Sep 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? - Similar Threads - Should File History

2. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  3. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  4. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  6. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  7. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler: I ran Task Scheduler as Admin, created a one time task by going to Actions > Start a Program > Typed ion shutdown with -s option. Even a refresh in task scheduler does not show my created task in Active Tasks. I have checked show hidden, still nothing. In...
  9. Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled: Hi, one of my clients has reported that All Tasks History in the task scheduler had been disabled, and that he wanted to know who had done it. I've determined the exact date and time when this occurred, but the logon logs for then have been turned over and I no longer have...
  10. File History Schedule

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History Schedule: Does anyone know if it's possible to invoke the file history backup procedure for a certain time? I'd like to be able to configure it to backup over night only (i.e. at 2am) - but I can't find a way to be able to set it to certain time. 15604