Windows 10: Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

Discus and support Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This is my results for file history set for 10 minutes with the drive disconnected so it can't write anything at all to my backup drive: I changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Dirty Butter, Sep 13, 2016.

1. lx07 Win User

Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

This is my results for file history set for 10 minutes with the drive disconnected so it can't write anything at all to my backup drive:

I changed the file File History Test.docx and saved it every 10 minutes and also made and deleted a file with the time in the file name...

Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? [​IMG]

So file history seems to work fine (at least for me) irrespective of writing to the drive (with the exception of it being a bit vague about what 10 minutes means - it looks more like 11 minutes, but never mind - the test was too short).

EDIT: When I connected the drive it correctly copied all versions to G:\FileHistory\Hali\MacBook\Data\C\Users\Hali\Documents

2. Well, I'm glad it works for you - but as I expected - my external drive does NOT have a copy of the test file I added at 2:27 and it is now 3:50 my time. The File History shows files last copied at 1:17 when I did it manually.

The FileHistory log has this Warning entry at 2:56:

Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Dirty Butter, Sep 14, 2016
  3. And I just did another Manual Run of File History and the test file is now on the external drive.

Dirty Butter, Sep 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    But did you check in the Restore your files with file history screen (like in my screenshots above)? What time do you see your file appear?

From what I can see File History writes to it's cache at the frequency you define and to the disk when it can/wants to based on the conditions in the linked TechNet article above. If you aren't seeing your changed files at the correct time in the Restore your files screen then there is a problem. If the only issue is it not writing to disk on schedule then this appears to be by design.

Yes - it flushes the cache to disk when you run it manually - I found that also.

6. I didn't realize what your screenshot was from, as I've never restored anything - only copy/pasted to a new computer, deleting the characters File HIstory added. I'll do the test again tomorrow now that I understand what to do to answer your questions.

Dirty Butter, Sep 15, 2016
  7. OK - Thank you for your patience as I now see that the computer IS saving the history in cache every hour, but for whatever reason is NOT saving it to the external drive. I'm going to get off the computer but leave it running, so I can see if it will eventually save to the external automatically. Files were last copied to the disk at 1:19 PM my time today, 9/16/16.

Dirty Butter, Sep 16, 2016
  8. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

It finally saved it on the external drive all by itself at 6:22PM. Thank you for helping me understand how it works.

Dirty Butter, Sep 16, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Great- people have reported issues with external drives with Win 10, but I have no idea if those are related, mostly being about loss of data/partitions/unable to access them.

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  10. I DID have the issue of not recognizing an external drive that was connected at the time of the anniversary upgrade. This "issue" showed up using a different external drive. Although, thanks to you, I am satisfied that files are being saved - the frequency of saving to the external drive now in use is NOT the same the same as it was prior to the upgrade.

Dirty Butter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler? - Similar Threads - Should File History

2. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  3. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  4. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  6. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  7. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler: I ran Task Scheduler as Admin, created a one time task by going to Actions > Start a Program > Typed ion shutdown with -s option. Even a refresh in task scheduler does not show my created task in Active Tasks. I have checked show hidden, still nothing. In...
  9. Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled: Hi, one of my clients has reported that All Tasks History in the task scheduler had been disabled, and that he wanted to know who had done it. I've determined the exact date and time when this occurred, but the logon logs for then have been turned over and I no longer have...
  10. File History Schedule

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History Schedule: Does anyone know if it's possible to invoke the file history backup procedure for a certain time? I'd like to be able to configure it to backup over night only (i.e. at 2am) - but I can't find a way to be able to set it to certain time. 15604